RPi & HMDI/DSI display questions

Jerry HM

Jan 12, 2017, 10:28:38 PM1/12/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

I sorta made a post on this a few weeks back,.. but want to focus more on the display aspect.

I am starting my first RPi project soon... (RetroPie arcade).... and soon after an MQTT server.  (but for now we'll focus on the first project)

I am looking for a 7" HMDI display.

I really like the Official RPi 7" HMDI displays from the Pi Foundation.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13825

All tutorials/videos show this to be an easy set-up.

However I do NOT NEED/NOR WANT touch screen for this.

Do they make a non-touch screen version of this display by chance?

I also found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252554099888

however I am so far out of my league/comfort zone here.. I'm not clear on the differences?

I know the ebay one runs off 12v (which is not desirable for me)..

but I'm not even clear on the differences of the driver board itself?  Looks to have a VGA port?  I 'believe' I am looking for one that uses the DSI port.......yes?

My first goal would be to fond a non-touch screen version of the initial link (official PI display)... (hopefully cheaper too)

barring that... I'm open to learn more/read up on other displays.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks gang!

-Jerry

Jerry HM

Jan 14, 2017, 11:58:38 AM1/14/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

(cricket cricket)  :)

I also found this one:

http://www.tinylcd.com/tiny149/product.php?id_product=73

Anyone have any exposure to it?  I cant tell if the pcb on the back is bigger than the 7" display?

I also cant tell if the RPi has to be mounted there?  (if it hangs over the edge like that.. it wont work in my project)  :(

I have also found this one:

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1933

Anyone have any thoughts here?   never had to worry about HDMI/displays in my Arduino projects..  so I no experience in this area.

--

---

John Rockefeller

Jan 14, 2017, 1:45:06 PM1/14/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
I would go with the adafruit model... good reputation for customer service.
(good price too)

Pete Prodoehl

Jan 14, 2017, 8:04:36 PM1/14/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, Jerry! Been a busy week...

Yes, I've used the Adafruit HDMI displays before, and I've used a touchscreen one and not used the touchscreen part.

Don't get one with VGA, look for one with HDMI... unless you want the Pi display that plugs right into the Pi board. (My most recent project needed HDMI because it's splitting video output from the Pi to two different displays.)

Most of the HDMI displays will probably need 12 volts.

Pete

Jerry HM

Jan 14, 2017, 8:40:43 PM1/14/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Thanks John-

however.. I dont need touch screen capabilities.  Is the black bezel around the screen the touch screen portion?  Can this be removed without issue?

(is a cheaper version that is already NOT touch screen perhaps?)

thanks!

Jerry HM

Jan 14, 2017, 8:41:52 PM1/14/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

Thanks guys..

I'm still a bit confused..  :)

My initial project is for a RetroPie arcade cabinet/counsole..etc.  (so not really clear on the best display for this.. but I know touch screen is  not needed)

I'm also not clear if I need/should be looking for something that has HMDI?  or this DSI connection that touch screen adafruit one boasts?

I'm hoping to try and 'find a bargin'  (as well as not overpay for touch screen abilities when I dont need/wont use them)

Have you or anyone used this model before?

http://www.tinylcd.com/tiny149/product.php?id_product=73

Pros:

* runs on +5v directly from the PI I believe.

* 1024 x 600 resolution

Cons:

* Not sure about the pcb the display is connected to..(cant tell if its bigger than the display itself... not lot of good pics there)

* The RPi being mounted like that is a no-go..  not sure it if NEEDS to be mounted there? or can be moved.

* shady looking website

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1933

Pros:

* Adafruit

* size looks right (not sure about connections that need to go out from the sides though?)

* +5v

Cons:

* Price  (@70 a pop..  that arent that cheap)

*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252554099888

Pros:

* size

* price

Cons:

* +12v  :(     (moves to bottom of list for this project)

* not sure why it says HDMI but have VGA port on it?  (just not experienced enough to understand these subtle differences and naming conventions of HDMI but VGA ports..etc)

I -think- these two are the same:  (not sure why the big price gap?)

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2718

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13733

one better than the other? or truly the same product?

@Pete-

How did you NOT use the touch screen?  (in software/settings?) ....or did you physically remove the bezel?  (with it, makes it too wide for me to use in my cabinet, at this current version of the cabinet)..

I thought I read the bezel can be removed and this also removes the touch screen capabilities?  true?  false?

Maybe there is a different display that is 7", HDMI, has 'DSI' cable/port, and runs on +5v from the Pi?

Thanks guys!

Jan 14, 2017, 9:09:44 PM1/14/17
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com

The tiny LCD one seems like it is what you want. There are no clean connections on the bottom of the RPI if I recall. Therefore that dsi and USB plug that you can see in the 2nd picture must be it. That means the mounting is purely a mechanical thing.

That said I haven't used any of these.