looking for an electronics genius

Chris M

Nov 28, 2016, 11:53:08 AM11/28/16
to milwaukeemakerspace
A friend of mine car has been stolen for about 2 months now, we know it's still out there because it's been seen about a month ago. I figure it is in a garage or someone's back yard. So, I was thinking, Can I use the key fob, capture the signal, boost the output, and then drive around parts of the city and continue to click this the 'fob' in the chance to hear the car chirp ?  SO  1st get the signal of the fob, and make a device to transmit it at a higher signal strength.

Tom Gralewicz

Nov 28, 2016, 12:09:29 PM11/28/16
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
The key fobs work on a rolling code, the fob sends out a code then scrambles it via mathematical sequence to the next one, the car remembers the last sequence it got and waits for any of the next few sequences, that way if you click your button when you aren't near the car it will still see a valid code.

If the thieves got a working key for it, yours may no longer work.  It also depends how old your car is and what type of remote its using.
As far as boosting the signal, its possible but likely to run afoul of the FCC.

Tom

Tom Gralewicz
Chronic Maker

--