8 Inch Spiral Head Jointer Group Buy

Steve Pilon

May 10, 2018, 10:50:35 AM5/10/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Makers,

Who is interested in getting an 8 inch spiral head jointer? This one would be best: http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-with-Parallelogram-Beds-and-Spiral-Cutterhead/G0490X

If your interested put your name below here and how much you would be willing to give. The woodshop will pitch in $500, we would sell the existing jointer and pitch in the rest.

Chris Hemmerly

May 11, 2018, 10:34:10 AM5/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
What's wrong with the existing jointer? (And what would you ask for it [$] when selling it?)

Steve Pilon

May 11, 2018, 2:47:55 PM5/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
The existing jointer is only 6" wide, the new one would be 8". If you want to do high quality work you have to face join boards, now if you have a wider board you need to rip it dow. With the spiral head blades it makes changing the blades a 2 minute job vs a 3 hour job when there is a nick.

Steve Pilon

May 11, 2018, 3:05:38 PM5/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I would like to see $300 for the old jointer. Other then the fact that its a straight blade and its only 6 inches there is nothing wrong with it.

I want to invest in quality machines that the average home shop would not have to attract more skilled wood workers.

The wood shop would throw in $500, I would personally throw in $500 so then we only need to raise $500 more.

lemondealc

May 11, 2018, 3:17:53 PM5/11/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of investing in quality machines. I saw this 48x48 shopbot router on Craigslist. Im not sure if there is enough demand and/or room for another cnc router but it sounds like a good deal (about half off).

As for the jointer, I'd throw $100 at the machine. I'm still looking for signatures for my membership form.

--

---

Steve Pilon

May 11, 2018, 4:25:05 PM5/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
lemondealc,

Thanks for the donation, I still need to make a group buy wiki page but ill put you down.

As for the Shopbot I just don't see us getting that money together. We do have room for a 4'x4' router in the cnc room, id like to see something with linear bearings if we do go for a 4'x4' one though.

I can certainly sign for you, I can be there Tuesday if you want. Let me know.

Chris Hemmerly

May 14, 2018, 9:17:09 AM5/14/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Can you post some specs and pics of the current jointer? I might have an interested party.
-Chris

Michael Morrison

May 14, 2018, 9:29:10 AM5/14/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Should be able to get more than 300 for the current joiner.

--

---

Bob Trocke

lemondealc

May 22, 2018, 5:44:32 PM5/22/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Are you going to be at the meeting tonight? I'm going to have my signup sheet with me. Sorry for the late notice.

--

---

Steve Pilon

May 24, 2018, 11:19:06 PM5/24/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Hey Lemon, I did not see your post. Did you sign up? Let me know if you need anything.

Steve Pilon

May 24, 2018, 11:20:23 PM5/24/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Just an update here, were about $355 short so if anyone else is interested in getting an 8 inch jointer post in this thread and Ill put you down.

Jeremy

May 25, 2018, 1:48:08 PM5/25/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
You can put me down for $50.

Steve Pilon

May 25, 2018, 2:32:12 PM5/25/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Thanks Jeremy, Ill add you to the wiki. Do you have a last initial?

Jeremy Jones

May 25, 2018, 3:00:28 PM5/25/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Jones

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:32 PM, Steve Pilon <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Jeremy, Ill add you to the wiki. Do you have a last initial?

--

---

dillan

May 26, 2018, 9:00:36 PM5/26/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
I'm in fo $50. I added myself to the group buy list already.

-Dillan Laughlin

Steve Pilon

May 29, 2018, 10:36:02 AM5/29/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Thanks to Ben S for the $100 donation, with Dillan's we only have $155 to go!

William Reid

May 29, 2018, 1:46:54 PM5/29/18
to milwaukee...@googlegroups.com
Steve,
I will drop off a check for the remaining $155.00 tonight.
Bill R

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 9:36 AM Steve Pilon <spi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks to Ben S for the $100 donation, with Dillan's we only have $155 to go!

--

---

Steve Pilon

May 29, 2018, 3:09:53 PM5/29/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Thanks Bill!!!! I will not be there tonight as family is in town. If you want to put it in the dues box by the craft lab and write on it that it is for the woodshop jointer group buy that would work out. We are at out goal!

For everyone that donated to this group buy please submit your payment to the treasurer attn "Woodshop Jointer Group Buy." This can be done using either PayPal or as check or cash in the dues box. Again make sure to clearly mark "Woodshop Jointer Group Buy".

Dan Jonke

May 29, 2018, 3:37:08 PM5/29/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
To reiterate what Steve said, we've got a few group buys going on at the same time, so please make sure to label the money you give me, so I know where to count it towards.

If you want to donate in check or cash form, put it in an labeled envelope in the drop box. Checks made payable to "Milwaukee Makerspace"

To donate using PayPal/Credit/Debit, go to https://members.milwaukeemakerspace.org/Donations and fill out the form. Let me know what the money is supposed to be used for in the comments box.

Thanks!
Dan Jonke
Treasurer
Milwaukee Makerspace

Chris Hemmerly

May 30, 2018, 10:53:59 AM5/30/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Bump for more info about existing jointer...

Steve Pilon

May 30, 2018, 10:56:23 AM5/30/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
What kind of info are you looking for about the existing jointer?

Chris Hemmerly

Jun 1, 2018, 10:07:36 AM6/1/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Manufacturer, model, width, hp, the normal stuff.. oh yeah, and how much MMS wants for it.

Steve Pilon

Jun 4, 2018, 12:06:26 PM6/4/18
to milwaukeemakerspace

Steve Pilon

Jun 11, 2018, 12:18:25 PM6/11/18
to milwaukeemakerspace
Just a quick update, the order has been placed however it is back ordered. The expected date that the manufacturer should have it on a boat is August 3rd.

If you haven't paid yet remember to get your money to the treasurer or myself. If you did pay and noticed that you are marked as non paid on the wiki link contact myself or the treasurer.

Thanks to all who donated and we will eventually get this jointer in here!!!