[Mifos-users] SolDevelo will support the 2.2.x branch

Jakub Sławiński

Sep 12, 2011, 10:19:39 AM9/12/11
to Mifos software development, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.

Hello,

I am proud to announce that SolDevelo will be supporting the 2.2.x
branch development. This means that we will be fixing all critical bugs
found in this release and will work on increasing the reliability of the
software.

Moreover, in the upcoming 2.2.1 release we also plan to include a new
REST API module, which will greatly widen the possibilities of
integrating Mifos with the 3rd party applications (like mobile UI,
mobile money payments, accounting systems, etc.).

If you have any other requests/proposals, feel free to send them to the
mailing lists or directly to me.

The new 2.2.1 release is planned at the beginning of the October.

Regards,
Jakub.

Ryan Whitney

Sep 12, 2011, 3:02:31 PM9/12/11
to A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Great to here Jakub!

One question - where can I find the details on what's included with 2.2? I was looking on mifos.org but couldn't find an update on the roadmap.

Thanks,
Ryan

---------------------------------------
Ryan Whitney
ry...@greenlikeme.org
US mobile: +1.206.734.5110
global: +1.206.235.4479

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.
- Augusten Burroughs

Jakub Sławiński

Sep 12, 2011, 4:50:23 PM9/12/11
to mifos...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi Ryan,

yes, the roadmap has not been updated yet. You can find a list of
features in the 2.2 on the following pages:

http://mifos.org/product/download-mifos

http://mifosforge.jira.com/wiki/display/MIFOS/v2.2

Regards,
Jakub.

Binny Gopinath

Sep 13, 2011, 12:08:14 AM9/13/11
to A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Hi Jakub,

Congratulations to you and Sol Develo on taking this on.

I want to make 2 small feature requests (I assume these must be small enhancements)

a) Ability to update a center name

b) Ability to update date of birth of members and users

In the past there have been arguments against making the member date of birth as editable. If this is the case, then I would suggest to make this editing based on a permission. Only a person who has this permission (for example "Allow change to date of birth of members") will be allowed to edit this field. Others will have this field as read-only.

Would like to hear if anyone has arguments against making date of birth editable. In Indian scenario, I feel it is valuable to have date of birth editable as a lot of poor people are not aware of their exact date of birth and some of the documents (eg. voter ID cards) issued by our government does not give an exact date of birth, but only gives a field with "Age as on a date" value.

Thanks and Regards
Binny

Ryan Whitney

Sep 13, 2011, 12:53:29 AM9/13/11
to A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Binny,

Would it make sense to alter the feature completely to better adapt to India?  Ie, make it a setting or some kind of option where the user can enter in the date or the DOB?

Maybe the approach is to have the minor enhancement you have below and then map out the full fledged feature for a future release?

BlackBerry&reg; mobile platform with sessions, labs & more.
See new tools and technologies. Register for BlackBerry&reg; DevCon today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-devcon-copy1 _______________________________________________
---------------------------------------
Ryan Whitney
ry...@greenlikeme.org
US mobile: +1.206.734.5110
global: +1.206.235.4479

“If you wait to do everything until you're sure it's right, you'll probably never do much of anything." - Win Borden

Binny Gopinath

Sep 13, 2011, 2:42:21 AM9/13/11
to A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Hi Ryan,

The complete feature that you are referring to would have a configurable parameter which says whether date of birth can be edited or not for the given installation. Correct? Is there any additional functionality that you have in mind for India?

I don't want to overly complicate a simple functionality of updating date of birth. If any MFI does not want the date of birth to be updated for any of their members, then they just need to ensure that none of their roles are assigned this permission. If there is any additional functionality that users can gain, then altering the feature completely makes sense.

Thanks
Binny
Thanks and Regards
Binny Gopinath Sreevas
+91-98861 39498
Skype: binny.gopinath

Ed Cable

Sep 13, 2011, 3:43:20 AM9/13/11
to A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Jakub,

Thanks for sharing this great news with the community.  Happy to see SolDevelo playing such a large role in the community. Would you be able to make one of the upcoming weekly developer calls to discuss support of the Mifos 2.2 branch and ongoing feature development?

Both of these have been ongoing topics of development that have been discussed at various lengths.

Ed

Jakub Sławiński

Sep 13, 2011, 12:17:13 PM9/13/11
to mifos...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi Binny,

we will try to include such small enhancements in the 2.2.1 release, but
our main goals are the stability and REST API module.

Regards,
Jakub.

> BlackBerry&reg; DevCon Americas, Oct. 18-20, San Francisco, CA
> Learn about the latest advances in developing for the
> BlackBerry&reg; mobile platform with sessions, labs & more.
> See new tools and technologies. Register for BlackBerry&reg; DevCon today!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-devcon-copy1

BlackBerry&reg; mobile platform with sessions, labs & more.
See new tools and technologies. Register for BlackBerry&reg; DevCon today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-devcon-copy1

Ryan Whitney

Sep 13, 2011, 12:26:11 PM9/13/11
to A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Binny,

What I was thinking is the feature might work the following

* Standard permission for editing the birthdate or not (ie, don't make this a configuration option but a permission option)
* Feature for India that when turned on, has a new field "Age".  This would work with DOB and when filling in the customer profile, the user could enter in either of the two details (IE, either one would pass the profile verification and let the account be created).

Does that make sense?  So I think what you originally requested would be the first step and probably easiest, just trying to record down what might be the most optimum in the future.

Ryan

Jakub Sławiński

Sep 13, 2011, 12:34:25 PM9/13/11
to mifos...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi Ed,

I will try to make one of the upcoming weekly developer calls, but not
the next one. Unfortunately Wednesdays are rather hard for me at 9:30 -
10:30 AM PDT.

Regards,
Jakub.

> BlackBerry&reg; DevCon Americas, Oct. 18-20, San Francisco, CA
> Learn about the latest advances in developing for the
> BlackBerry&reg; mobile platform with sessions, labs & more.
> See new tools and technologies. Register for BlackBerry&reg; DevCon today!
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-devcon-copy1

BlackBerry&reg; mobile platform with sessions, labs & more.
See new tools and technologies. Register for BlackBerry&reg; DevCon today!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/rim-devcon-copy1

Jakub Sławiński

Sep 14, 2011, 9:41:10 AM9/14/11
to mifos...@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi Binny,

I changed the fixVersion of the following tickets:
* MIFOS-4413 (Ability needed to edit Center Name)
* MIFOS-4368 (Date of Birth of members and users need to be update-able)

to Release 2.2.1.

You can see the current list of tickets scheduled for this release using
the following link:

http://mifosforge.jira.com/browse/MIFOS/fixforversion/10730

Regards,
Jakub.

Binny Gopinath

Sep 26, 2011, 1:16:47 AM9/26/11
to Mifos software development, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Hi Jakub,

I was referring to http://mifosforge.jira.com/wiki/display/MIFOS/How+To+-+REST+API to find out what REST API's would be implemented. Here, I see the following API's:
  getClientByNumber
  repay
  deposit

Is this the final list of API's that will be released in Oct? Will there be any API to retrieve the collection sheet for a center or to update based on collection sheet data entered?

Thanks
Binny

2011/9/12 Jakub Sławiński <jslaw...@soldevelo.com>

Hello,

I am proud to announce that SolDevelo will be supporting the 2.2.x
branch development. This means that we will be fixing all critical bugs
found in this release and will work on increasing the reliability of the
software.

Moreover, in the upcoming 2.2.1 release we also plan to include a new
REST API module, which will greatly widen the possibilities of
integrating Mifos with the 3rd party applications (like mobile UI,
mobile money payments, accounting systems, etc.).

If you have any other requests/proposals, feel free to send them to the
mailing lists or directly to me.

The new 2.2.1 release is planned at the beginning of the October.

Regards,
 Jakub.

from deploying virtual desktops?   How do next-generation virtual desktops
virtual desktop model.

Udai Gupta

Sep 26, 2011, 2:09:54 AM9/26/11
to Mifos software development, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Hi Binny,

> Is this the final list of API's that will be released in Oct? Will there be
> any API to retrieve the collection sheet for a center or to update based on
> collection sheet data entered?

Most probably these are going to be the available APIs for Oct
release, AFAIK there is no plan yet to make API for collectionsheet in
next release. But, I am thinking about offline collectionsheet for
which new API will be added after Oct release.

The model/services of collectionsheet is clean to be used for REST API
(thanks to Keith and John), but we need some time to think about the
approach for offline (e.g. offline storage using JSON) and it will
require a smart HTML5/Javascript client side code.

I would like to know the use case for which you would need collection
REST API apart from an offline client (if any). If there are people
interested in doing something (development) about this project then It
would be great if they come forward and starting talking (on dev list)
about what approach they want to take. It would be difficult to work
blindly based on obscure requirement like "REST API for
collectionsheet" without knowing how those are going to be used, I am
saying this because data required by REST calls can differ based on
the approaches.

Cheers,
Udai

http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2dcopy1

Binny Gopinath

Sep 26, 2011, 3:00:56 AM9/26/11
to Mifos software development, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Hi Udai,

There are 2 use cases:

a) Send daily SMSes to the loan officers with the centers' collections for the day (one sms per center to be collected) - with details like "no. of members", "total collection amount for product A", "total collection amount for product B", "Center Sequence number (for the day)", etc.

b) The loan officer replies (using SMS), how much was collected from each center. This goes into an intermediate web application. The branch manager/Ops manager uses this application to keep track of the collections for the day almost real-time. Once the LO returns to the branch and verifies the physical cash against the dues, the intermediate application will use the "update collection sheet API" to update the mifos database with the collections for each center.

We can consider if the functionality of this intermediate application can be built into Mifos as a separate module or not. Because of the possibility of errors when sending SMS and because of the limitations around capturing detailed information via SMS, a maker-check step is required before any data sent via SMS is updated into the Mifos production DB. The format of the SMS will be roughly as follows:
     "3 FULL" - where 3 denotes the center sequence number and FULL denotes that the center was "fully collected"
     "3 PART 1850 - where 3 denotes the center seq number and PART denotes that the center was "partially collected" and 1850 denotes the amount that was collected (this does not specify which group or member defaulted. That will be specified at the branch during the maker-check step.
     "3 NOCOLL heavy rains meeting postponed" - "NOCOLL" denotes that no collections were made and the rest of the SMS specifies the reason why collections could not be made.

Note: The two MFI's who are interested in this approach does not want to use an Android application or a mobile based application because of associated costs and also the effort involved in administering/installing/supporting the application on each loan officer's mobile phones.

Thanks
Binny

Mifos-developer mailing list
mifos-d...@lists.sourceforge.net