[Mifos-users] Interested in being a mentor for Google Code-In?

Ed Cable

Oct 24, 2016, 5:27:08 PM10/24/16
to Mifos software development, mifos-users, dev (dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org)
Hello community,

We are considering applying to be a mentoring organization for Google Code-In. Google Code-In is a program run by Google aimed towards pre-university students where students compete to complete as many bite-sized tasks (3 to 5 hours) as possible across the following buckets: Code, Documentation/Training, Outreach/Research, Quality Assurance, or User Interface.

Important dates include:
- Mentoring Org Application Deadline: Oct 24
- Accepted Orgs Announced: Nov 7 - this is when we begin listing out all our tasks
- Students begin working: Nov 28 - this is when students start working and we must be quick to mentor, and review and close off tasks as completed.
- last date to submit tasks - Jan 16 - students must complete all work on competing tasks.

We last participated in 2014 and were very pleased and impressed withe output of our students who contributed more than 650 hours. However, this program is very intensive and requires the strong and active commitment of mentors. Unlike Google Summer of Code where the mentorship is heaviest up front and then the students work somewhat independently throughout the summer, Google Code-In is intensive with hands-on engagement the entire time since we must keep a steady pool of hundreds of open tasks and review and mentor students as they complete their tasks.

Before we even consider applying, I want to put a call out to all members of the community to see if they're interested in mentoring - this would both involve coming up with tasks, mentoring students as they complete tasks, and reviewing the completed tasks.

You don't need to be a developer to participate as the tasks are technical and non-technical in nature.

If interested in mentoring, please email me within the next two days or fill out this quick Google Form - https://goo.gl/forms/V7NDMbbCaHx2VFHI3

Based on interest level, we'll determine if we apply.

--
Ed Cable
edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

Collectively Creating a World of 3 Billion Maries | http://mifos.org

Gaurav Saini

Oct 25, 2016, 4:20:04 PM10/25/16
to d...@fineract.incubator.apache.org, Mifos software development, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.

Hello Ed,

I would love to mentor again this year :)

Thanks
Gaurav

On 25 Oct 2016 02:56, "Ed Cable" <edc...@mifos.org> wrote:
Hello community,

We are considering applying to be a mentoring organization for Google
*Ed Cable*

edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

<http://facebook.com/mifos>  <http://www.twitter.com/mifos>

Nayan Ambali

Oct 25, 2016, 10:15:43 PM10/25/16
to d...@fineract.incubator.apache.org, Mifos software development, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.

Roman,

Thanks for the fyi note!

We are planning to participate in GCI with "Mifos Initiative" spirit and there is no doubt it.

And please note, GSoC and GCI are two different events.

@Ed, please add more clarification if required.

-
Nayan Ambali

On 26 Oct 2016 7:21 a.m., "Roman Shaposhnik" <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
While having Mifos participate in GSoC would be great,
it doesn't really matter than much for Fineract sine ASF
always participates as well.

Just wanted to let y'all know.

Thanks,
Roman.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Ed Cable <edc...@mifos.org> wrote:
> Hello community,
>
> We are considering applying to be a mentoring organization for Google
> *Ed Cable*

> Director of Community Programs, Mifos Initiative
> edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

George Ng'ang'a

Oct 26, 2016, 3:15:13 AM10/26/16
to Mifos software development, mifos-users, dev (dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org)
Hi Ed, consider me to be part of mentors.
Kimani Ng'ang'a

Oct 28, 2016, 6:47:43 PM10/28/16
to dev (dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org), Mifos software development, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Roman,

Here's the overview https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/ and the description of example tasks gives a good sense of the types of tasks students can work on: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/resources/example-tasks

Ed

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 3:32 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Ed Cable <edc...@mifos.org> wrote:
> Nayan,
>
> Thank you for making the clarification.
>
> Roman, you were only talking about GSOC correct?

Correct.

> I haven't seen Apache
> participate in GCI before which is Google's program for pre-university
> students.
>
> Is Apache planning to participate in GCI this year? It's of a whole
> different nature than GSOC so I think it would be rather difficult for an
> umbrella organization of Apache's size to coordinate all the small tasks.

If I could find out more about it I can pass that info to ASF
Community Development folks.

Can you please tell me more about GCI?

Thanks,
Roman.

Ed Cable

Nov 1, 2016, 7:37:51 PM11/1/16
to Mifos software development, mifos-users, dev (dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org)
Hi all,

Based on the level of interest in acting as mentors from across the community, I will be applying for GCI as the Mifos Initiative.

For all those who've expressed an interest in mentoring, I want to emphasize once more how involved you must be - we need to have hundreds of tasks and be extremely prompt in reviewing completed tasks. If we are able to get accepted, we will be notified on November 7 and will have 3 weeks to build out our initial list of tasks which should be 200+ to start.

Ed

Nayan Ambali

Nov 1, 2016, 11:44:25 PM11/1/16
to d...@fineract.incubator.apache.org, Mifos software development, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos., Shreyaank Byadagi, Subramanya S N, Santosh Math
Sure Ed,

Please use the label "GCI" to tag Google Code-In tasks, refer this link for reference.

As Ed said, tasks need to me simple, introductory and can be doable within 1 to 2 days and need not restrict to only coding, it could be cleaning of user manuals, installation guides or other training materials, please refer example tasks given by GCI at  "bite-sized tasks"

-
Nayan Ambali

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 at 05:02 Ed Cable <edc...@mifos.org> wrote:
Hi all,

Based on the level of interest in acting as mentors from across the
community, I will be applying for GCI as the Mifos Initiative.

For all those who've expressed an interest in mentoring, I want to
emphasize once more how involved you must be - we need to have hundreds of
tasks and be extremely prompt in reviewing completed tasks. If we are able
to get accepted, we will be notified on November 7 and will have 3 weeks to
build out our initial list of tasks which should be 200+ to start.

Ed

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Ed Cable <edc...@mifos.org> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> We are considering applying to be a mentoring organization for Google
> *Ed Cable*

> Director of Community Programs, Mifos Initiative
> edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

> <http://facebook.com/mifos>  <http://www.twitter.com/mifos>

--
*Ed Cable*

edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

Ed Cable

Nov 2, 2016, 4:43:37 PM11/2/16
to dev (dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org), Shreyaank Byadagi, Mifos software development, Subramanya S N, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Thanks Roman for pointing this out.

Ed

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 8:52 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
FYI: I'm sure Mifos has its own legal council, but you may be interested
in ASF's legal council take on this program:
    http://markmail.org/message/jrytcwoiaky5dny7

Thanks,
Roman.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Nayan Ambali <nayan....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure Ed,
>
> Please use the label "GCI" to tag Google Code-In tasks, refer this link

> for
> reference.
>
> As Ed said, tasks need to me simple, introductory and can be doable within
> 1 to 2 days and need not restrict to only coding, it could be cleaning of
> user manuals, installation guides or other training materials, please refer
> example tasks given by GCI at  "bite-sized tasks
>> <+1%20484-477-8649>

>> > *Collectively Creating a World of 3 Billion Maries | *http://mifos.org
>> > <http://facebook.com/mifos>  <http://www.twitter.com/mifos>
>> >

>> --
>> *Ed Cable*
>> Director of Community Programs, Mifos Initiative
>> edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649
>> <+1%20484-477-8649>

>> *Collectively Creating a World of 3 Billion Maries | *http://mifos.org
>> <http://facebook.com/mifos>  <http://www.twitter.com/mifos>

--
Ed Cable
edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

Collectively Creating a World of 3 Billion Maries | http://mifos.org

Ed Cable

Nov 2, 2016, 4:43:37 PM11/2/16
to dev (dev@fineract.incubator.apache.org), Shreyaank Byadagi, Mifos software development, Subramanya S N, A good place to start for users or folks new to Mifos.
Hey Nayan,

I know that it would be simpler to have all of our GCI issues in one tracker but given the transition to Apache Fineract of the Mifos X platform that's already not possible since Apache Fineract contains all platform issues and other issues are still in MifosForge.

I will start a larger thread about this later on but going forward in efforts to clean up our issue management infrastructure, we are seeking to use github projects to track issues related to the Mifos X Web and Mobile Apps.

So our coding-related issues for GCI will be split across several issue trackers (each one however we can use the label GCI as you have mentioned):
All that being said, since the primary place in go to get GCI tasks and where we approve them is the portal maintained by Google, I don't think it'll be an issue to not have them all in one centralized place.

Ed