[Mifos-users] GSOC 2018 - Calling All Mentors for the Mifos Initiative

Ed Cable

Jan 5, 2018, 7:50:04 PM1/5/18
to Mifos software development, Dev, mifos-users, us...@fineract.apache.org
Hello everyone,

Google Summer of Code applications are due very early this year - January 23. We're not even finished with GCI but need to get our application and most importantly our ideas list ready!

The coding program officially runs from May 14 to Aug 14.

2017 was our biggest year of participation in GSOC to date with 12 interns mentored by the Mifos Initiative. This year we hope to participate again and will look to be doing not only projects on Apache Fineract 1.0 and the Mifos X web and mobile apps like we did last year but Fineract CN as well.

Mifos participation is in addition to whatever participation Apache Fineract might do as part of the umbrella organization, Apache Software Foundation.

Developers!
This program is one of our most impactful ways to extend our software but most importantly grow our community over the long run. Our most active volunteers, committers, and maintainers in the community have all been former GSOC students so if you're a senior community member looking for a great way to give back, this is it!

If interested please fill out this form and/or reply to this email thread. If you know someone who would be a good mentor, don't hesitate to invite them.

We have a developer meeting scheduled for January 18 at 1300GMT so let's use that as a means to solidify our list of ideas.

Partners & Users!

Regarding our list of Ideas, this year we'll both revisit some of the ideas that weren't picked up last year, continue evolving the apps that students have worked on in the past and try and begin doing some work on Apache Fineract CN, the Gen 3 architecture.

As we did last year, the majority of ideas we'll submit for our application will be related to Mifos X distribution powered by Apache Fineract 1.0 including web app (Community App), mobile apps (field officer, self-service), and other modules (data import tool, etc.) powered by Apache Fineract.

We'll be refining the list of ideas started at

Mark your calendars and register for our January 18 developer meeting - we'll use part of it to discuss what it means to be a GSOC mentor, and refine our list of ideas.

Cheers,

Ed Cable
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative
edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

Collectively Creating a World of 3 Billion Maries | http://mifos.org

Muhammad Rafly Andrianza

Jan 5, 2018, 8:04:19 PM1/5/18
to d...@fineract.apache.org, us...@fineract.apache.org, Mifos software development, mifos-users
Success and Goodluck For GSOC 2018, My Seniors!
I hope you can generate a new innovation to mifos initiative.
Keep your spirits up! 😉
success with your gsoc, we as gci or junior participants of you pray for and always support at the backend. 😂

<https://goo.gl/forms/ULEAMBHM7UcByEno1> and/or reply to this email thread.

[...]

​ and then adding them to the 2018 Ideas page at
https://mifosforge.jira.com/wiki/spaces/RES/pages/225411076/Google+Summer+of+Code+2018+Ideas

Mark your calendars and register for our January 18 developer meeting

of it to discuss what it means to be a GSOC mentor, and refine our list of
ideas.

Cheers,

*Ed Cable*

President/CEO, Mifos Initiative
edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

<http://facebook.com/mifos>  <http://www.twitter.com/mifos>

Ed Cable

Jan 12, 2018, 10:20:32 AM1/12/18
to Dev, Mifos software development, mifos-users, us...@fineract.apache.org
Hi all,

Just a reminder about this call for mentorship and an updated link to the proposed ideas in Google Sheet format:

Ed
--
Ed Cable
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative
edc...@mifos.org | Skype: edcable | Mobile: +1.484.477.8649

Collectively Creating a World of 3 Billion Maries | http://mifos.org

Ed Cable

Jan 2, 2019, 2:59:30 AM1/2/19
to Mifos software development, Dev, mifos-users
Hello all,

We just concluded Google Code-In and we've already got to prepare for hopefully our next Google Open Source Programs initiative - GSOC! Our goal is for Mifos to get accepted for the eighth year and have interns work on both Mifos X web and mobile apps as well as Fineract and Fineract CN.

Google Summer of Code applications open on January 15 and are due February 6. So right now we need to ready our application which means we need a group of committed mentors and and most importantly a solid ideas list.

The coding program officially runs from May 27 to Aug 26 (two weeks later than last year) .

2018 was our biggest year of participation in GSOC to date with 13 interns mentored by the Mifos Initiative. With that high volume of students, and a few mentors that weren't available, we tested the limits of our mentors. So I want to emphasize this year that if you express interest in being a mentor, know the commitment it takes.

I gave a talk this past year that explains how GSOC is truly the lifeblood and organic growth engine for our community - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtxBX7Sbqv0

In case you forgot, here's a wrap-up of our 2018 GSOC: https://mifos.org/blog/2018-google-summer-of-code-wrap-up/

If interested please fill out this form and/or reply to this email thread. If you know someone who would be a good mentor, don't hesitate to invite them.

We have a developer meeting scheduled for January 18 at 1400GMT so let's use that as a means to solidify our list of ideas and answer any questions you might have about mentoring!

Partners & Users!

Regarding our list of Ideas, this year we'll both revisit some of the ideas that weren't picked up last year, continue evolving the apps that students have worked on in the past and try to do more projects on Apache Fineract CN, the Gen 3 architecture.

As we did last year, the majority of ideas we'll submit for our application will be related to Mifos X distribution powered by Apache Fineract 1.0 including web app (Community App), mobile apps (field officer, mobile banking, mobile wallet ), and other modules (data import tool, etc.) powered by Apache Fineract.

We'll be refining the list of ideas started at

We especially need more functional use cases of what the mobile apps should support - if you would like to see new innovation and more development - this is your chance to have your feedback be heard!

Mark your calendars and register for our January 18 developer meeting - we'll use part of it to discuss what it means to be a GSOC mentor, and refine our list of ideas.

Cheers,

Ed Cable

Jan 17, 2019, 3:51:37 AM1/17/19
to Mifos software development, Dev, mifos-users
Hi all,

Just a reminder that haven't expressed an interest in being a mentor,please do so via this form: https://goo.gl/forms/Nv1PjbLLeYT9omv12

As a reminder, prospective mentors (please no students as of yet) we have a call this Friday (originally scheduled for 1400GMT) but I have to move to 1300GMT as I have a flight I have to catch that morning.

Ed

Ed Cable

Jan 18, 2019, 8:11:28 AM1/18/19
to Mifos software development, mifos-users
Hi everyone, I'm having technical difficulties with my laptop. Stand by and I'll have have go to training session up and meeting running ...

Ed

Ed Cable

Feb 4, 2019, 4:24:37 AM2/4/19
to Mifos software development, Dev, mifos-users
Hi all,

We're wrapping up our application to submit before Feb 6 - we need our ideas list fully fleshed out so if you have any ideas that have not been added yet, please do add.

Thanks,

Ed