How to make 1,000 threaded holes

Kris Steward

May 6, 2015, 11:29:03 PM5/6/15
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Hey Guys & Gals,

I need to drill and tap a whole lot of threaded holes into some 1/4" metal plates (they're about 4 x 6"). All I really know how to do is drill the holes then tap by hand, and that's not really going to work out for this project. What would be the fastest/easiest way to do this? If money makes a big difference, then what's the best way under $1,000 and over $1,000?

Thanks,

-kris

Sonny Mounicou

May 6, 2015, 11:41:00 PM5/6/15
to Midsouth Makers Public List
Its pretty easy to use a cnc mill to drill the holes and a tapmatic to do the tapping.  If the holes are larger than 3/8", you can use a threadmill to do it on the cnc mill.

--Sonny

Kris Steward

May 7, 2015, 4:27:24 PM5/7/15
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sonny, exactly what I was looking for!

-kris

Ben Eishen

May 7, 2015, 4:27:30 PM5/7/15
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Paying someone :)

If you need a quick turnaround try http://www.metalenc.com/. We have used them to do some custom brackets, but they can do just about anything. Also another CNC shop has contacted me here in town seeing if the makers needed any jobs run. I can dig up the contact information if you are intrested.

--
Ben S. Eishen

773.234.7436 | b...@eishen.com

kylejstone

May 9, 2015, 7:07:11 AM5/9/15
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I could do it in my CNC mill. How big are the plates?

kylejstone

May 9, 2015, 7:13:35 AM5/9/15
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Ohh 4x6, sometimes I read too fast. I can do about 30 plates at time.

Kris Steward

May 11, 2015, 3:31:36 PM5/11/15
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the other suggestions! We're likely to stick with doing them in-house this time, but I appreciate the helpful info.

Cliff Hillmann

May 13, 2015, 3:14:56 PM5/13/15
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Here's a good way: