Laser Cutter update and Other News

Danny Chamberlin

Jun 1, 2016, 5:18:03 PM6/1/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com, Midsouth Makers Board
Good Afternoon!

We want to give an update on the laser cutter as well as pass information on upcoming events and other news.

The laser cutter has been repaired. It is operable, but is in need of calibration. This is tentatively scheduled to be performed on the 9th. We would prefer you wait until then before resuming normal use. As noted previously, any authorized users that wish to use the laser cutter must first be checked out on it by a board member prior to their next use. This is not a class, we just want a face-to-face with you and make sure everyone understands and follows the rules of use for the cutter. For those wishing to use the laser cutter that have not been through the initial training, we will be having another class on June 25th at 1pm at the space. The meetup will be going up shortly, so keep an eye out for it. We do ask that if you are already an authorized user do not sign up for the class, this is a basic class intended to get those unfamiliar with its use and rules up to speed. If you feel you need a refresher, please contact a board member so we can arrange some individualized instruction.

In other Midsouth Maker news:
  • We need volunteers to run a table at the "Memphis Maker Faire" (not a MAKE: magazine sponsored event.) on Tuesday June 21st at 125 N Main from 10am to 3pm. This is part of the Memphis Makers week in Memphis (more details here - https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2016/jun/2/june-is-maker-month-in-memphis/ ). And we apologize for the short notice, but we need to know by tomorrow if you are available that day. Please email bo...@midsouthmakers.org if you can help.
  • As noted above we will be having another Laser Cutter training class on June 25th at 1pm.
  • There will be a LAN party on Saturday July 16th. Since there were conflicts with having it the weekend near the 4th, we did what math geeks do and went exponential - we are holding it on 7/2(4^2)...We usually start setup around 2, start the LAN around 4 and start serving food between 5 and 6. It is $5 to defray the food and drink expenses
  • We will be having another beginner's soldering class sometime this summer, date yet to be determined, but we will pass it along once we know.
  • Shop cleanup/large projects - we have begun reaching out to people with large projects/items in the space about their disposition. We understand that large projects take time, but the shop is beginning to look junked up and we need to clear the space for others to make use of. We also request that you clean up after yourself each time you use the shop - that includes cleaning any tools and putting them back where you got them from, sweeping up any sawdust or other particulate generated during cutting operations, emptying the trash/can garbage bins when they get full, etc.
  • Donations. While we are grateful to be considered for receiving donations, please make sure that a board member is aware of and approves the donation. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by getting a donation and then moving it to the blue storage locker outside when we don't have a use or space for it.
  • Pardon our dust! We will be making some improvements to the space in the coming months including a connecting door between the classroom and front/common room, improvements to the back restroom (aka the Dan Hess Memorial Restroom) and other things to make the space more usable.

Plus we'll have our usual Friday Night Open Houses, so bring your family/friends and check out the things happening at the space. We are looking at a great summer and look forward to seeing you at our events!

Danny Chamberlin
Secretary,
MidSouth Makers