Need some Surface Mount Help Please

John Wood

Sep 12, 2016, 11:56:11 PM9/12/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks.

I was wondering if one of you kind people can help me out with a surface mount part identification.

I need to order some replacement resistors for the R470 in the picture.

Inline image 1

Can anyone help me identify specifically what type of surface mount resistor this is and, if possible, where I can order an exact replacement??

I've tried on my own and I can't seem to find any specs that list one this size.
Thanks for any help any of you can offer.

John

Aaron, M

Sep 13, 2016, 8:09:49 AM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
That should be a 0.470 Ohm resistor, if you have some calipers you can figure out the size code as well.

Walter Stokes

Sep 13, 2016, 10:03:37 AM9/13/16
to midsouth-makers

That's probably a 1W 2512 470mOhm resistor. Mouser has them:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Yageo%2fRL2512FK-070R47L%2f&qs=sGAEpiMZZMvdGkrng054t8AJgcdMkx7xx2k1h33YwC4%3d

Also: Hi John!

John Wood

Sep 13, 2016, 10:47:53 AM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for you help gentlemen. Ordering them right now!

Also: HI WALTER!

Ben Eishen

Sep 13, 2016, 12:49:19 PM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Visually it doesn't look bad though. Resistors are pretty hard to kill. I would sanity check with an ohm meter first :) My gut instincts is to check the suspect connector solder point, relay(looks like a relay pin layout) or anything that is connected to the high current path associated with that pin. The PCB designer was concerned with current and the traces heating up since the red solder resist is pulled back.

--
Ben S. Eishen

773.234.7436 | b...@eishen.com

John Wood

Sep 13, 2016, 12:52:00 PM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ben.

That board works fine. The fried carcass of that same resistor on a duplicate board is the one that's getting replaced. (=
It fell victim to a power surge from a faulty outlet at a 100 year old home.

Danny Chamberlin

Sep 13, 2016, 12:57:26 PM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
In that case, are you sure that's going to fix it? Usually if it gets to that point, a lot of stuff in between are toast too, even though they might not show it?

Danny

MemphisArtGuy

Sep 13, 2016, 12:58:33 PM9/13/16
to Midsouth Makers - Memphis Hacker/Maker Space
The resistor size code is the length .xx + height .xx , looks like a 1206. Next size down is 0805.  See image below. Your resistor is on it. =D

Image result for surface mount resistor code

Danny Chamberlin

Sep 13, 2016, 12:58:42 PM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
..and holy crap! Hi Walter! LTNS

Danny

John Wood

Sep 13, 2016, 1:08:08 PM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Danny. No I'm not sure that this is the main issue, but since it's the biggest scorch mark on the board I'm going to replace it first and see if it is the only issue. I ordered 10 so I should have plenty in case I need more (=

Thanks Dru. That's a great reference. I'll have to keep that in case I need other SMD resistors in the future.

Ben Eishen

Sep 13, 2016, 1:25:45 PM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Just make sure to clean up the board pretty good before plugging it back in. Burnt ass carbon is conductive :)

--
Ben S. Eishen

773.234.7436 | b...@eishen.com

John Wood

Sep 13, 2016, 1:27:17 PM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I had not considered that. Good to know. Thanks!

Keith

Sep 13, 2016, 9:10:50 PM9/13/16
to midsout...@googlegroups.com

Yes it appears to be a 2512 .47 Ohm resistor

Good luck with it.

Keith