I am done with Comcast

dekohn .

Apr 4, 2014, 8:16:23 PM4/4/14
to MidSouth Makers
Dear MSM,

I have had it with comcast and need info on other ISP's that are in the Memphis area (midtown). I need a connection as good, if not better, then comcast speeds. I do host my own server and also plan to use it for my TV (so I need good bandwidth).

Comcast just tried to rip me off for the last time........I need your help to point me to a service that can let me cut the cable!

Daniel Kohn

Ryan Elliott Turner

Apr 4, 2014, 8:18:07 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com

Hey,

Were you a residential or business customer? Word is business is far, far, far better, and much more suited for having a small server.

Trent Bontly

Apr 4, 2014, 8:24:39 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I am a business with no tv and I pay $109 a month, much more stable more reliable, customer service answers faster and no caps.  They offer tv and phone as well but I have other means for video and don't use land lines.  The only other service with equivalent speed is ATT DSL/uverse, and there prices start lower bit will rise in several months to a year. They will treat you just as badly and are less reliable overall.  I have set up a lot of people with both. And it is pretty much hit or miss with both.

Danny Chamberlin

Apr 4, 2014, 8:25:12 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, there's nothing better - every other ISP is far, far worse around here.

Danny

Danny Chamberlin

Apr 4, 2014, 8:25:35 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and I'm on the business plan/no TV as well.

Danny

Ben Eishen

Apr 4, 2014, 8:27:37 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I got to agree, comcast biz operates like a completely different company. There was a 3 week install wait when I moved to my house. I cancelled the install request and ordered biz class. They were out within two days. Also last year managed to severe my incoming line  late on a saturday, next morning they were out and fixed it. Got nothing but great praises for comcast biz.

--
Ben S. Eishen

773.234.7436 | b...@eishen.com

Trent Bontly

Apr 4, 2014, 8:30:53 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Just curious for business customers what do you pay, what is promised rate and delivered rate?  $109 promised 50Mb and get 45-50Mb when plugged into modem.

Ben Eishen

Apr 4, 2014, 8:34:14 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
$59. I think its 22 and 3.2MB/s down.

--
Ben S. Eishen

773.234.7436 | b...@eishen.com

Danny Chamberlin

Apr 4, 2014, 9:04:38 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Trent: Ditto for me - $109 and I get ~80-90% promised rate most of the time.

Danny

John Wood

Apr 4, 2014, 10:05:27 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Is there any requirement that you actually have a business?

Pete Myers

Apr 4, 2014, 10:08:38 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Nope, I've got business at the house. Plus, business doesn't have a 300GB bandwidth cap so you can run it wide open all day every day.

Ryan Elliott Turner

Apr 4, 2014, 10:11:16 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
If they ask, all you need to say is that you work from home.

Ryan Turner

Danny Chamberlin

Apr 4, 2014, 10:12:16 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
Not that I've ever seen - while they mostly focus on small businesses, they also cater to the "telecommuter". My current job requires I work from home for a week every 6 weeks or so - and Business class didn't have a problem. I don't think they care as long as you're willing to pony the $20 - $30 premium over equivalent Xfinity packages.

Danny

Danny

Trent Bontly

Apr 4, 2014, 10:18:54 PM4/4/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
I just made up a business name, they don't require a license and they don't check.  I filled all my info out online and used my ssn for the FIN or FEIN, and they called me in one day and it was setup in a week

Kevin Nuckolls

Apr 5, 2014, 2:56:30 PM4/5/14
to midsouth-makers
Since I work from home and I video chat all day long I wasn't cool with my comcast speeds being intermittently abysmal. I called the tech support arm of comcast quite a few times and they're all just reading scripts and following policy. I didn't get any movement on my issues until I called the sales arm of comcast.

Basically I said, look I can't convince anyone in the technical organization that my internet has intermittent awful speeds. I want to bump up to the 100M plan so I can prove to them that after upgrading my plan that my speeds won't increase. Instead she called the regional manager and forwarded them all the proof that I acquired proving that it was the line and not my house. Within a week I've had solid service for a year.

I'll never be calling the technical support arm again. Call someone in sales. I didn't want to spend the money on business if I didn't have to. Thus far, I haven't had to.

Hope that helps. :)

-Kevin

Danny Chamberlin

Apr 5, 2014, 3:31:32 PM4/5/14
to midsout...@googlegroups.com
The only issues I ever had was in the switchover from residential to business. After my business class was installed, the residential customer service, instead of issuing a TRANSER of service, issued a TERMINATION of service, so someone came out and disconnected the drop completely! Business Class customer service had the issue resolved in a day and gave me several months' service credit without my prompting for the inconvenience. When we moved in Sept 2012, the address change was smooth as butter and we were only without internet for as long as it took me to set our network back up. I haven't had any service issues since. This is one of those cases where the customer service I receive from Business Class is MORE than worth the premium I pay for it.

Danny

Danny

dekohn .

Apr 8, 2014, 10:33:09 AM4/8/14
to MidSouth Makers
Thanks for all your input....I hate to give comcast any money, but it does sound like the business class it the way to go and they at least have heard of the term "Customer Service"

I have filed with the BBB a grievance against comcast (and actually got a phone call from comcast telling me I would get a phone call - yes, I know that sounds stupid, but that is what they said).

Will start looking into business class ASAP.

Thanks again!

Daniel Kohn

PS Maybe we should start a campaign to get Google Fiber in Memphis!