Runtime error 4596 with DDEinitiate

Lüko Willms

Jun 18, 2008, 8:57:21 AM6/18/08

I try to poke data directly into a database program via DDE from a
VBA script in Winword.

But already the DDEinitiate fails -- first Winword tells me it can't
reach the remote data, and asks if the application should be started.
A "yes" results in runtime error 4596 - can't establish link (those
error messages are translated from German by me, the original english
texts will be different).

The application in question is running.

Has anybody an idea concretely what could be wrong here? Searching
at Microsoft or Google did not turn up anything sensible.

I use MS Office 97 and Windows NT 4.0 Server.

Cheers,
L.W.

Lüko Willms

Jun 19, 2008, 3:13:59 AM6/19/08
Am Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:57:08 UTC, schrieb "Lüko Willms"
<l.wi...@domain.invalid> auf microsoft.public.word.vba.general :

the mystery is solved:

> I try to poke data directly into a database program via DDE from a
> VBA script in Winword.
>
> But already the DDEinitiate fails -- first Winword tells me it can't
> reach the remote data, and asks if the application should be started.
> A "yes" results in runtime error 4596 - can't establish link (those
> error messages are translated from German by me, the original english
> texts will be different).
>
> The application in question is running.

But the form which was quoted as the "Topic" in the second parameter
was not opened and loaded. The target application can't open it. Later
I found out that the VBA online help for DDEinitiate speaks of "opened
documents".

Cheers,
L.W.