Spell check not working in Word Perfect converted document

Sheila

Jul 29, 2003, 10:40:45 AM7/29/03
I have a protected document that was converted from Word
Perfect version 8 into MSWord 97. I have used the macro
posted by others in the newsgroup and it works, but will
not give the message "spelling and grammer check
completed". I have looked every place I can think of and
cannot get this to work. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sheila

Charles Kenyon

Jul 30, 2003, 10:08:51 PM7/30/03
Sorry to tell you but you're going to probably be best off abandoning your
converted document for these purposes. I would recommend saving your
converted document as a text document. Then open that in Word and save it as
a Word document. Then apply appropriate styles to format your document and
add your formfields using the forms toolbar. Save that as a template and
work on documents created from that template. Although they look simple,
converted documents are extremely complex in Word.

What follows is from a longer post on changing from WP to Word:

--
Word and Word Perfect work very differently from one another. Each program's
methods have strengths and weaknesses; but, if you try to use one of these

See <URL: http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordperfect.htm>
for information on Word for Word Perfect users.

For more:

In Word 2000 (or later) You can get the function keys to display in a
special toolbar at the bottom of the screen if you want (something like
pressing F3 twice in WP). The following macro will do this.
Sub ShowMeFunctionKeys()
Commandbars("Function Key Display").Visible = True
End Sub

Learn about Styles - really learn! <URL:
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm> I resisted for years and
now regret every day of those years because although that string was still
very hard to push, it kept getting longer and longer, and had some very
important projects tied to it!

--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Sheila" <swall...@mayvl.com> wrote in message

Sheila

Aug 1, 2003, 12:17:45 PM8/1/03
I tried to do exactly what you suggested, but I still have
the same problem. I even copied the spellcheck macro and
put it into a newly created word document and it still
won't give the message that the spellcheck is complete. I
don't know if it has something to do with the way the form
is setup if that's possible, but I just can't get this
thing to work. Any further suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.
>.

Charles Kenyon

Aug 1, 2003, 1:39:40 PM8/1/03
The macro on the MVP site does work. It is the product of group
collaboration over a period of years. Chances are, if you've never gotten
this to work, that you have an error in your copied macro. Try downloading
the sample from
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/SpellcheckProtectDoc.htm (way down
at the bottom of the page). You may also want to look at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CreateAMacro.htm.
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"Sheila" <swall...@mayvl.com> wrote in message

Cindy Meister -WordMVP-

Aug 2, 2003, 5:57:33 AM8/2/03
Hi Sheila,

> it works, but will
> not give the message "spelling and grammer check
> completed".

I'm not certain that spell check run from a macro will ever
give this message... Not that I've ever tested in this
respect; it's just that, by its very nature, spell check
done from a macro interacts differently with the user
interface.

There's also the remote possibility that spell check really
does NOT finish, due to an oddity in the document. There
are a couple of "bad karma" articles on the mvp site about
using spellcheck, under very particular circumstances.

But, what you might try doing is putting *your own* message
box at the very end of the macro?

MsgBox "Spellcheck of this form is complete"

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jan 24 2003)
http://www.mvps.org/word

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)