Update cross references automatically (no f9)

spasmous2

Feb 2, 2010, 1:21:36 AM2/2/10
After years of thinking cross-references were broken in word, I just
learnt that you need to press a button - f9 - to "update the fields".
This makes the numbers point to the right endnotes after shuffling the
document around. Im wondering - is there an option to automatically
update the fields? I would never have imagined to press f9 or even
realize "the fields" need updating - most formatting stuff is
automagic, especially something this trivial.

Markus Schöpflin

Feb 2, 2010, 2:50:32 AM2/2/10
Am 02.02.2010 07:21, schrieb spasmous2:

[...]

> update the fields? I would never have imagined to press f9 or even
> realize "the fields" need updating - most formatting stuff is
> automagic, especially something this trivial.

Switch to print preview and back again. This updates all the fields in the
document, even those in the header and footer which aren't updated when
pressing CTRL-A and then F9.

Markus

Stefan Blom

Feb 2, 2010, 2:15:52 PM2/2/10

To automate the process a bit more, use a macro. See the first example macro
at
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Markus Sch�pflin" <markus.s...@comsoft.de> wrote in message

MrBudgens

Feb 2, 2010, 5:05:29 PM2/2/10
And if you want to go over the top then you can repeatedly run that
macro automatically using Application.OnTime.

Stefan Blom

Feb 3, 2010, 4:32:32 AM2/3/10

Or you could make use of auto macros, for example an AutoOpen macro.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"MrBudgens" <mrbu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

rn...@supercfo.com

Oct 17, 2012, 2:21:33 AM10/17/12
Thanks. It was helpful

Ranjit

Oct 17, 2012, 2:22:10 AM10/17/12
On Tuesday, February 2, 2010 11:51:36 AM UTC+5:30, spasmous2 wrote:
Thanks It was helpful

rlstr...@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2013, 10:25:10 PM3/18/13
Thanks. In Mar 2013, this is the only option that works for Word 2010. Print doesn't auto update reference (REF) or page references (PAGEREF) in footnotes. This script does.

Stefan Blom

Mar 19, 2013, 8:34:00 AM3/19/13
For (some) fields to update on print, you must select the "Update fields
before printing" option at File tab | Options | Display.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

<rlstr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

hoogen...@zonnet.nl

Dec 19, 2014, 10:20:36 AM12/19/14
To make matters worse, if you have fields in headers and/or footers, you have to press CTRL-A F9 IN EVERY HEADER AND FOOTER OF EVERY SECTION OF THE DOCUMENT SEPARATELY. How ridiculous is this in the age of automation.

Microsoft, please. Of course we want the fields to be kept up to date. Please do this automatically without the F9 crap.

Stefan Blom

Dec 29, 2014, 9:00:49 AM12/29/14
Switching to Print Preview and then closing the preview updates some of
fields-REF fields in particular. You can use Ctrl+F2 followed by ESC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

<hoogen...@zonnet.nl> skrev i meddelandet

11biz...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2015, 3:03:31 PM1/16/15
Le vendredi 19 décembre 2014 10:20:36 UTC-5, hoogen...@zonnet.nl a écrit :
> To make matters worse, if you have fields in headers and/or footers, you have to press CTRL-A F9 IN EVERY HEADER AND FOOTER OF EVERY SECTION OF THE DOCUMENT SEPARATELY. How ridiculous is this in the age of automation.
>
> Microsoft, please. Of course we want the fields to be kept up to date. Please do this automatically without the F9 crap.

Actually, I just found out this most valuable information: "all you need to do is go to "Insert/Quick Parts", select "Field", and then place the category to "Links and References" and select "Styleref". From there you can select what you need, for example "Heading 1".

from http://phdtalk.blogspot.ca/2012/02/inserting-chapter-title-to-header-in.html

Enjoy !