Why are toolbars missing from Word 2007?

Judy

Aug 18, 2009, 1:35:11 PM8/18/09
As friends explain it to me user toolbars with user macros on them
increased productivity enormously in previous versions of Word. Yet
they are lacking in Word 2007. What is MS’s explanation of this? Is
there some hidden benefit that a beginner can’t perceive? Or did MS
just run out of programming time and pushed the product out of the
door?

What version of Word is, or will be, available for Windows 7? Are
toolbars restored there?

Daddy

Aug 18, 2009, 2:18:25 PM8/18/09
"The Office 2007 Ribbon Overview"
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX102774021033.aspx

The Windows 7 RC supports all versions of Word going back to Word 97, so
it's probably safe to assume the same support when Windows 7 is officially
released (in October.)

Believe it or not, there are people - like me - who think the ribbon is a
brilliant idea long overdue.

If you want to stick with the menu system, you have several perfectly good
alternatives:

* Use an older version of Word.
* Install a third-party utility that converts ribbons back to menus. (You'll
find such software with a web search.)
* Use another word processor. For example, WordPerfect is still around and
still an outstanding product. A free alternative is OpenOffice (although it
plans to adopt a ribbon interface.)

If I may make a suggestion: Rather than adopt a knee-jerk reaction, spend a
few days with the ribbon. You may surprise yourself and end up liking it. I
surprised myself the same way.

Okay, one last suggestion: Consider that you are asking your question in a
public newsgroup made up of your fellow users, who volunteer their knowledge
and experience. Seeing as nobody is under any obligation to respond to your
question, try being a little less sarcastic next time.

Daddy

"Judy" <JudyEl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Stefan Blom

Aug 19, 2009, 4:47:10 AM8/19/09

In short, I believe the idea is that it should be easier to locate commands
with a less hierarchical structure.

Note that in 2007, you can add buttons that run macros to the Quick Access
Toolbar: Click the Office button, and click Word Options. In the Customize
category, set "Choose commands from" to "Macros" and then just click the Add
button. You can use the Modify button to choose from a selection of symbols
for the button.

If you haven't already done that, you may also want to select "Show Quick
Access Toolbar below the Ribbon" before clicking OK.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Judy

Aug 23, 2009, 4:17:11 AM8/23/09
I have no quarrel with the ribbon. It’s impressively elegant.

I have concerns about toolbars. I keep reading that toolbars are
absent from Word 2007 except for the Quick Access Toolbar. Only now,
after Stefan Blom’s kind input, do I realize that it’s possible to add
user macros to it.

But suppose I have 10 documents, each with 5 unique macros, in
addition to 24 general purpose macros stored in Normal.dotm. Do I now
add 50 extra document- specific macros to the Quick Access Toolbar?

Previously I had a toolbar for Normal.dot macros which opened for all
documents and document specific toolbars for those documents with
special needs.

On Aug 19, 10:47 am, "Stefan Blom"

<StefanB...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> In short, I believe the idea is that it should be easier to locate commands
> with a less hierarchical structure.
>
> Note that in 2007, you can add buttons that run macros to the Quick Access
> Toolbar: Click the Office button, and click Word Options. In the Customize
> category, set "Choose commands from" to "Macros" and then just click the Add
> button. You can use the Modify button to choose from a selection of symbols
> for the button.
>
> If you haven't already done that, you may also want to select "Show Quick
> Access Toolbar below the Ribbon" before clicking OK.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP

Graham Mayor

Aug 23, 2009, 5:45:47 AM8/23/09
The simplest answer to your question is to use ALT+F8 to give you access to
all the currently available macros which you can run from the list.

OR

Add the command ViewMacros from the all commands group to the QAT (Quick
Access Toolbar) to display the same dialog as above.

OR

You can store QAT commands specific to individual templates or documents,
provided the template/document is open when you create the QAT command

OR

You can create a macro that provides a userform from which you can select
from a more limited range of macros and add the command top call that from
the QAT - For the basics, see Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm
for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm

OR

If you have access to Word 2003, you can create custom toolbars for
documents/templates in DOC format the commands for which will appear on the
add-ins tab when they are used -
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

OR

You can edit the ribbon to have ribbon commands available for specific
documents/templates - http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

OR

You can use a ribbon editor to edit the ribbon of the normal template to
have you own tabs/commands - http://ribboncustomizer.com/

What you can't have are Word 2003-like toolbars, as Word 2007 does not
support them.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Terry Farrell

Aug 23, 2009, 6:53:43 AM8/23/09
These are all concerns that we raised with MS during the beta of Word 2007.
You will be pleased to know that many - but not all - of these have been
taken on board and that W2010 promises a far better implementation of the
Ribbon.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

> I have no quarrel with the ribbon. It�s impressively elegant.

> I have concerns about toolbars. I keep reading that toolbars are
> absent from Word 2007 except for the Quick Access Toolbar. Only now,

> after Stefan Blom�s kind input, do I realize that it�s possible to add

>> they are lacking in Word 2007. What is MS�s explanation of this? Is
>> there some hidden benefit that a beginner can�t perceive? Or did MS

Judy

Aug 24, 2009, 11:15:05 PM8/24/09
On Aug 23, 11:45 am, "Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote:
> The simplest answer to your question is to use ALT+F8 to give you access to
> all the currently available macros which you can run from the list.
>
> OR
>
> Add the command ViewMacros from the all commands group to the QAT (Quick
> Access Toolbar) to display the same dialog as above.
>
> OR
>
> You can store QAT commands specific to individual templates or documents,
> provided the template/document is open when you create the QAT command
>
> OR
>
> You can create a macro that provides a userform from which you can select
> from a more limited range of macros and add the command top call that from
> the QAT - For the basics, see Word MVP FAQ - Userformshttp://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm
> for a more in depth explanation, seehttp://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm

> OR
>
> If you have access to Word 2003, you can create custom toolbars for
> documents/templates in DOC format the commands for which will appear on the
> add-ins tab when they are used -http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

> OR
>
> You can edit the ribbon to have ribbon commands available for specific
> documents/templates -http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

> OR
>
> You can use a ribbon editor to edit the ribbon of the normal template to
> have you own tabs/commands -http://ribboncustomizer.com/

> What you can't have are Word 2003-like toolbars, as Word 2007 does not
> support them.
>
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor -  Word MVP
>
> My web sitewww.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org
> >> toolbars restored there?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much for this extensive orientation, Graham. I compliment
you on your remarkable thoroughness and clarity. Putting ViewMacros on
the QAT is of some help, even if clumsier than a single click on a
toolbar. For a non-techie like me the ribbon customizer looks
promising, if it supports a tab of macros.

If only the QAT were context sensitive, showing only icons for Normal
macros and for macros from currently open documents! Perhaps the QAT
wraps. Will have to load a lot of macros and see what happens.

Greg Maxey

Aug 24, 2009, 11:33:28 PM8/24/09
> wraps. Will have to load a lot of macros and see what happens.- Hide quoted text -

Judy,

Graham provided you a link if you want to dive into the waters of
Ribbon customization. Here is another link that provides an example
template AddIn that shows you exactly how you can add button on a new
ribbon tab that calls your macros or have a menu control that drops
down a list of macros to run:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Ribbon_Menu_Controls.htm

Terry Farrell

Aug 25, 2009, 4:06:46 AM8/25/09
Also note that you can attach a QAT to a template so that different
documents will have the QAT associated with its template. Clunky and no
substitute for a custom menu.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP