Can I insert a Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) into a Word document?

Mark Jacobson

May 12, 2009, 9:21:02 AM5/12/09
Can an SVG image be inserted into a Word document during a mail merge?

Can any graphic be inserted into a Word document during a mail merge?

macropod

May 12, 2009, 10:41:05 PM5/12/09
See reply in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields.

Please don't post the same question separately in multiple newsgroups.

--
Cheers
macropod

Joannes Vermorel

May 28, 2009, 4:41:03 AM5/28/09
The answer given in the other forum was:

> Word cannot import/insert .svg files directly as it
> does not have a graphics converter to do it

We would also really need to be able to embed SVG into Word documents, as we
are already relying on SVG for all our graphics generation.

Are there any plan from Microsoft to support SVG in Word in the future? That
would be a very handy feature for us.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Joannes Vermorel

macropod

May 28, 2009, 8:03:26 PM5/28/09
Whether that ever happens is for Microsoft and Adobe to work out. Adobe seems somewhat 'precious' about allowing Microsoft to
interface with its products. Remember the carry-on Adbobe made over Microsoft wanting to provide PDF support in Office 2007?

--
Cheers
macropod

"Joannes Vermorel" <Joannes...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Joannes Vermorel

May 29, 2009, 12:04:02 AM5/29/09
> Whether that ever happens is for Microsoft and Adobe to work out.

Hum, not sure the comparison is really relevant.

Contrary to PDF, SVG is a W3C standard supported all browsers (including
Chrome), well, except for IE.

Then, SVG is also basically a subset of XAML feature-wise. Thus, it's not as
if MS had to reinvent yet another technology to support SVG in Word.

My 2cts on the subject,

Best regards,
Joannes Vermorel

Tim Murray

May 30, 2009, 11:29:44 AM5/30/09
On Fri, 29 May 2009 00:04:02 -0400, Joannes Vermorel wrote:
> Contrary to PDF, SVG is a W3C standard

The PDF spec is freely available.

Tim Murray

May 30, 2009, 11:30:49 AM5/30/09
On Thu, 28 May 2009 20:03:26 -0400, macropod wrote:
> Whether that ever happens is for Microsoft and Adobe to work out. Adobe seems

> somewhat 'precious' about allowing Microsoft to
> interface with its products. Remember the carry-on Adbobe made over Microsoft

> wanting to provide PDF support in Office 2007?

Bull. SVG and PDF are both freely available standards.