Word 2000: Error! Objects cannot be created from editing field codes.

Tim Shaffer

Mar 4, 2003, 2:10:56 PM3/4/03

We are using Word 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1).

Error! Objects cannot be created from editing field codes.

We are getting the above error on some of our documents
whenever we embed an Equation {EMBED Equation.3} or when
we embed an Micrografx Designer Object
{EMBED Designer.Drawing.7}. This is very intermittent and
it might take greater than 20 saves before we can get it
to occur (maybe).

This error is occuring when the document fields are being
updated. If the document is saved, it appears that the
graphics is lost. If this error is caught before saving,
it can be copied and pasted as a picture, but that defeats
the purpose of having an OLE object that is editable in
its native editor.

I have found some info at www.mathtype.com (TechNote 64)
that describes this, but it does not suggest a method for
preventing it.

All help or comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Shaffer

Cindy Meister -WordMVP-

Mar 7, 2003, 5:48:46 AM3/7/03
Hi Tim,

> Error! Objects cannot be created from editing field codes.

The only thing I can find on this in the Knowledge Base is

WD2000: Not Enough Memory Error Saving File as Web Page
[Q220453]
http://support.microsoft.com?scid=kb;en-us;220453

In there, it says this problem comes from "manually editing
or creating the field code".

Assuming no user is going in there and changing anything
in these field codes, then something is happening to them in
the document.

The fact that MathType is aware enough of a problem to post
a TechNote makes me wonder if there's something a bit
"shakey" about their OLE application server that's creating
and maintaining the object in the Word document. If that's
the case, there won't be a lot you CAN do.

About the only suggestions I can make:
- rename Normal.dot, so that Word creates a new, clean copy
when it starts
- base all documents on this, so that they also start out in
pristine condition
- existing documents with problems: copy/paste into such a
new doc as text, only. Reformat, and reinsert the objects
- when updating these fields, try to make sure there's
nothing running on the machine that might interfere (like
Word-as-OL-Email-Editor, antivirus, etc.)
- lock the fields (Ctrl+F11; Ctrl+Shift+F11 unlocks) and
only unlock, one at a time, when you explicitly want to
update.
- don't open/save documents over a network. Make sure
they're on a local drive, and use Explorer to transfer them
over network locations. Dito ZIP drives
- don't email such documents, unless they've first been
ZIPPED, for extra protection

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jan
24 2003)
http://www.mvps.org/word

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Bob Mathews

Mar 12, 2003, 8:20:51 AM3/12/03
Tim,

You write:

> Error! Objects cannot be created from editing field codes.
>
> We are getting the above error on some of our documents
> whenever we embed an Equation {EMBED Equation.3} or when
> we embed an Micrografx Designer Object
> {EMBED Designer.Drawing.7}. This is very intermittent and
> it might take greater than 20 saves before we can get it
> to occur (maybe).

> I have found some info at www.mathtype.com (TechNote 64)
> that describes this, but it does not suggest a method for
> preventing it.

You're right that we don't specifically address how to prevent
the "editing field codes" error, but in that Tech Note we do
address "How to prevent the 'disk full error'". It's the same
process. Incidentally, this error occurs less frequently in Word
2002 than in Word 2000.

Bob Mathews bo...@dessci.com
Director of Training 830-990-9699
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

"Tim Shaffer" <tb...@pge.com> wrote in message

Bob Mathews

Mar 12, 2003, 8:26:29 AM3/12/03

"Cindy Meister -WordMVP-" <CindyM...@swissonline.ch> wrote in
message news:VA.00007410.00466453@speedy...

> The fact that MathType is aware enough of a problem to post
> a TechNote makes me wonder if there's something a bit
> "shakey" about their OLE application server that's creating
> and maintaining the object in the Word document. If that's
> the case, there won't be a lot you CAN do.

Well, that's a thought. An incorrect thought, but still a
thought. The fact is, this problem has been occurring in versions
of Word at least as far back as Word 97, but has occurred less
frequently in later versions (i.e., less in Word 2000, and almost
nonexistent in Word 2000). Doesn't the fact that Tim had the same
problem with Micrographx Designer objects say something about the
culprit here? The problem lies not with either MathType or
Designer, but with Word. Still, if it's a problem our customers
are having, it's indirectly our problem regardless of the
source -- hence the TechNote.

Bob Mathews

Mar 12, 2003, 8:30:07 AM3/12/03
I wrote

> The fact is, this problem has been occurring in versions
> of Word at least as far back as Word 97, but has occurred less
> frequently in later versions (i.e., less in Word 2000, and
almost
> nonexistent in Word 2000).

I should have said "almost nonexistent in Word 2002". Sorry for
the confusion.

Cindy Meister -WordMVP-

Mar 21, 2003, 10:41:17 AM3/21/03
Hi Bob,

> The fact is, this problem has been occurring in versions
> of Word at least as far back as Word 97, but has occurred less
> frequently in later versions

Ah. OK, that sounds sorta familiar :-) Like the graphical
stability of embedded Excel tables and charts. Except that I've
never seen that error message Tim's getting in the entire 12
years I've been working with Word.

Cindy Meister