Re: Error! AutoText entry not defined

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 17, 2004, 12:24:11 AM8/17/04
Make sure the template is selected in the "Look in" box when you create the
AutoText entry.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Roberta" <Rob...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I created AutoText entries. I created a Template, if I give the template
> someone else and they create a new doc, I get a bunch of errors stating
that
> the auto text hasn’t be defined (see below). Do you know of anyway to
prevent
> this? Is it possible to store the definitions with the template?

Graham Mayor

Aug 17, 2004, 1:50:18 AM8/17/04
Almost certainly you saved the autotext in normal.dot and not the template.
Use the organizer and move it.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Roberta

Aug 17, 2004, 7:19:01 AM8/17/04
Autotext entry is in look in box. Once I remove autotext entry using the
organizer will I still be able to use the autotext entry?

Graham Mayor

Aug 17, 2004, 8:22:12 AM8/17/04
You will be able to use it when creating new documents from that template,
which is what you originally asked.

Roberta

Aug 17, 2004, 8:49:01 AM8/17/04
Its in the Look in box.

Roberta

Aug 17, 2004, 8:49:04 AM8/17/04
I guess I have confused myself. Forgive me me for being elementary. While in
the template, go to TOOLS|Templates and Add-Ins and click Organizer and
remove autotext from Normal file which is in the AutoText tab of the
organizer? So I created it and have to delete it from the Organizer so when
I give it to someone else, they will not get the error message above?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Aug 17, 2004, 9:07:50 AM8/17/04
AutoText entries will never travel with a document because they can't be
saved in documents; they can only be saved in templates. If you save your
entry in the document template (select the specific template in the "Look
in" box *before* creating the entry) and then send the *template* to other
users, they will be able to use the entry. Graham is suggesting that, if the
entry is stored in the Normal template, you use the Organizer to move or
copy the entry from Normal to your document template. You could also just
recreate it in your document template and then delete it from Normal. This
does not require use of the Organizer.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)