changing office assistant get not enough memory why?

Rasner@discussions.microsoft.com Bud Rasner

Feb 8, 2007, 12:57:00 PM2/8/07
When trying to change office assistant from paperclip to dog get not enough
memory message in Word and Excel is office 2000 on vista os 1gb physical
memory

John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Feb 9, 2007, 8:34:39 AM2/9/07
Hi Bud:

It means "it's not there!"

That's a very old error message. Basically it means "I can't find something
I expected to be in memory by now."

Back in the days when they created that error message, the most likely cause
was that there was not enough free memory to load whatever it was that Word
was looking for. Now, it simply means "Not found".

Which usually means the installation has been damaged. A file may have been
damaged, or inadvertently deleted.

Go to the Help menu and run "Detect and Repair". That should bring it
right.

Cheers

On 9/2/07 4:57 AM, in article
41C638F8-554D-43A8...@microsoft.com, "Bud Rasner" <Bud
Ras...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <jo...@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

huer...@yahoo.com

Feb 15, 2007, 9:18:16 AM2/15/07
I'm having the same problem. I followed John's instructions then
tried to reinstall the whole program and the problem still exists.
Any other work arounds possible?

On Feb 9, 8:34 am, "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]"

<j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
> Hi Bud:
>
> It means "it's not there!"
>
> That's a very old error message. Basically it means "I can't find something
> I expected to be in memory by now."
>
> Back in the days when they created that error message, the most likely cause
> was that there was not enough free memory to load whatever it was that Word
> was looking for. Now, it simply means "Not found".
>
> Which usually means the installation has been damaged. A file may have been
> damaged, or inadvertently deleted.
>
> Go to the Help menu and run "Detect and Repair". That should bring it
> right.
>
> Cheers
>
> On 9/2/07 4:57 AM, in article

> 41C638F8-554D-43A8-ACE8-1A6B8DFA6...@microsoft.com, "Bud Rasner" <Bud

> Ras...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > When trying to change office assistant from paperclip to dog get not enough
> > memory message in Word and Excel is office 2000 on vista os 1gb physical
> > memory
>
> --
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread. Please do not email
> me unless I ask you to.
>

> John McGhie <j...@mcghie.name>

SciTeach

Mar 8, 2007, 8:45:00 PM3/8/07
That is not what it means this is a new error with old wording!

The files are there, but this is a "NEW VISTA" problem they work perfectly
fine on Windows XP and I can see the files on the HD.

Detect and repair does not work, neither does a clean install of Office
2003.

Does anyone have any ideas? (Preferably without the belittling sarcasm)

potpie

Apr 18, 2007, 4:34:01 PM4/18/07
I am having the same problem and am running Vista. I suppose if I must live
with "Clippy", so be it - I'll probably turn him off anyway. My main
concern about this glitch is that if this one small aspect of Word doesn't
function correctly - what other "issues" might I run into with this
application?

Is this happening with Vista because Microsoft is discontinuing the Office
Assistant?

I don't want to have to spend a lot of time fussing with this - I really
just want to make sure that my installation of Word is fully functional.

Any comments?

JoAnn Paules

Apr 18, 2007, 6:01:31 PM4/18/07
It's not related to Vista. Office 2007 is discontinuing the assistant.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"potpie" <pot...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

VistaIsNotMyFriend

May 24, 2007, 6:03:01 PM5/24/07
Did anyone ever find out if there is a way around this problem and also are
there other compatability problems running windows 2000 on Vista? Like
potpie, I too want to make sure my installation of Word is fully functional.

I am having so many problems with Vista...way too many compatability
problems! Am thinking of going back to XP which I love.

Kathryn Talarico

Jul 25, 2007, 11:04:00 PM7/25/07
There haven't been any recent posts to this thread and I'm wondering if
anyone has found a solution to the problem. Like all of you, I am concerned
more about the functionality of my Office 2003 programs in general than I am
about Clippy..

Any advice to the harried would be greatly appreciated.

Kathryn

BillF43

Aug 5, 2007, 2:52:01 PM8/5/07
Here is a fix for this problem