Cascading Windows

Joanne

Feb 11, 2006, 8:32:34 AM2/11/06
System: Dell Opti Flex, 1gb memory, winxp pro, MSoffice 2003

I use a macro called 'get files' to open 50 text files at a time -
here is the code for the macro, to which I have made no changes:

Public Sub GetFiles()

'Application.CommandBars("Main Menu").Visible = False
Dim Resumes As String, FileArray() As String, Num As Long, OpnFile As
Long
Dim PassNum As Integer, temp As String 'sorting variables
Dim Upper As Long 'Upper boundary of array
ReDim FileArray(150)
Num = 0 'Setting counter to 0
OpnFile = 0 'Setting counter to 0

Resumes = Dir$("C:\1\ceweekly\*.*") 'Where the files are at
Do While Len(Resumes) > 0 ' Loop to put files into an array
FileArray(Num) = Resumes
Num = Num + 1
Resumes = Dir$
Loop
ReDim Preserve FileArray(Num - 1)
Upper = UBound(FileArray)

' Sort array
WordBasic.SortArray FileArray

' Open the files for editing
For OpnFile = 0 To 49
If OpnFile <= Upper Then 'if there are files in the array
Documents.Open FileName:="C:\1\ceweekly\" _
& FileArray(OpnFile) 'then open the next one and increment
counter
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Zoom.Percentage = 118

End If
If OpnFile = -1 Then
Application.Quit
End If
Next

End Sub

Until today, the files would open on top of each other on the screen
and in a 'group' in the taskbar. Now all of a sudden the files are
opening in 'cascading windows' which causes me to do a lot of extra
clicking and window moving so that the files are not on top of my
other 2 apps that I am running to process the files. I want them to
open in msword 2003 (which is living only on the top 50% of my screen
and allowing me to use the bottom 50% for the other 2 apps). I don't
remember making any changes anywhere and so I can't figure out how to
get this to work as it was before today, MSWord owns top of screen,
other apps own bottom of screen and all files open on top of each
other with no cascading down the screen. Can someone please help me
get this fixed? I tried using the ApplicationWindowState and chose
'minimize', but then I have to click them one at a time to get them on
the screen again and they come back in their cascaded position,
leaving me with my other apps behind them again. Don't know what else
to try.
Thanks for your time and help
Joanne

Tony Jollans

Feb 11, 2006, 11:58:42 AM2/11/06
I suspect you have got "Windows in Taskbar" set.

Have a look under Tools > Options > View tab and uncheck the option.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Joanne" <jobo...@sbcglobal.com> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Feb 12, 2006, 2:41:08 AM2/12/06
Tony has identified the likely cause, but as this may happen again (Word
2003 can do that), it would be worth adding the line
Application.ShowWindowsInTaskbar = True
to your macro to ensure it is correct each time you run it.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Tony Jollans

Feb 12, 2006, 4:21:55 AM2/12/06
Graham,

I've been suspicious for some time that Word 2003 changes settings all by
itself but I usually put it down to user error as I routinely change all
manner of my own settings (just to see the effect).

Is there anything known about this? Are any particular settings more
susceptible than others? Does any particular type of action, or document,
tend to cause it?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Feb 12, 2006, 7:17:31 AM2/12/06
After finding that some of my options changed for no good reason following
the upgrade to 2003, I simply added a list of preferences to my autonew and
autoopen macros. I know others are having problems too. I suspect it is an
extension of the minor corruptions in the Word data key in the registry that
has plagued Word with (for example) toolbar disappearances and sundry other
issues.

Even more annoying it seems that some users suffer problems with different
settings, probably because of the way they use Word, so it is difficult to
tie it down. FWIW the issues that affect me are corrected with:

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.DisplayRulers = True
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView 'sets print layout view
'.Type = wdNormalView 'alternative for normal view
.Zoom.Percentage = 500 'fixes shrunken cursor issue
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingWhenSelected
.ShowFieldCodes = False
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
.ShowDrawings = True
End With
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Drawing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Forms").Visible = False
End Sub

Sub AutoOpen()
'add docname and path to title bar
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.DisplayRulers = True
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.Zoom.Percentage = 500
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingWhenSelected
.ShowFieldCodes = False
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
.ShowDrawings = True
End With
End Sub

Sub AutoExec()
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Drawing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Forms").Visible = False
CommandBars("Mail Merge").Visible = False
Application.OnTime _
When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), Name:="CodesOff"
End Sub

Sub CodesOff()
On Error GoTo oops:
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
oops:
End Sub

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

I have even considered recording all my preferences in these macros, but so
far it is only the ones raised here that cause me concern - especially the
rulers, the field codes and the drawings.

Tony Jollans wrote:
> Graham,
>
> I've been suspicious for some time that Word 2003 changes settings
> all by itself but I usually put it down to user error as I routinely
> change all manner of my own settings (just to see the effect).
>
> Is there anything known about this? Are any particular settings more
> susceptible than others? Does any particular type of action, or
> document, tend to cause it?

Tony Jollans

Feb 12, 2006, 8:54:05 AM2/12/06
Thanks, Graham,

I will try and take more note of what I think gets changed and what I might
have been doing.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Joanne

Feb 13, 2006, 7:53:21 AM2/13/06
Graham
Thank you so much for the info and the coding to avoid some of these
problems.
Joanne

Beth Melton

Feb 15, 2006, 12:39:35 PM2/15/06
Hi Tony,

I have a different 'take' on this issue than others. :-)

Changes to the defaults are typically attributed to a third-party
add-in or template. So if you notice your settings have been changed
then that's the first place to start looking. There are a LOT of
add-ins and templates out there that modify Tools/Options along with
various preferences. For example some of the Resume templates created
by Microsoft will turn table gridlines off, field shading, non
printing characters, field codes, etc. Others may turn on the Drawing
Grid, force the view as Print Layout etc.

Nothing can simply 'magically' change nor is Word 2003 more
susceptible to corruption than previous versions. It's a computer
program - it does what it is 'told' to do. Personally, I find it to be
the most stable of all the versions released. I suspect the reason we
encounter this issues more is because of the growing number of add-ins
along with the availability of templates for Word.

Any time I've ever encountered a change in my preferences I've always
found an add-in or template to be the cause. Granted that requires a
little effort to open templates and check the code, or in the case of
an add-in and you can not view the code due to a locked project or a
COM Add-in, it takes a little experimenting to determine the precise
changes that are being made. (But then I'm that oddball who wants to
know WHY. <grin>)

Of course, if you don't care to find the exact cause then force the
settings you want using a macro. But at the very least, know it is a
third-party and not caused by instability. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Tony Jollans" <My Forename at My Surname dot com> wrote in message

Tony Jollans

Feb 15, 2006, 1:45:24 PM2/15/06
Thank you Beth.

It's nice to get a different viewpoint. I think it's easy to use
'corruption' as a reason for something one can't understand - and deleting
normal.dot or registry keys tends to (a) get round many issues and (b) hide
the evidence. And so the myth continues to gain strength.

I'm not entirely sure I agree that 2003 is more stable than earlier releases
but it does handle abends much better so users are less likely to lose work
(which is a big improvement) when they happen.

As I said, I usually put it down to user error when no other explanation is
obvious. I certainly always like to know why (or at least under what
repeatable circumstances) but determining that requires me to remember what
I did yesterday - which isn't always easy :-)

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Beth Melton" <bme...@NoSpam4Memvps.org> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Feb 15, 2006, 6:01:44 PM2/15/06
Since I *never* turn my ruler off, I refuse to believe that its regular
disappearance is user error, and it happens so inconsistently (but in such a
consistently predictable way) that I don't think it's due to add-ins,
either. What I note is that, if I open a document and find that the ruler is
not displayed, then one of two things happens. If I display the ruler, then
close that document and open another, the ruler will be displayed. But if I
close that document without displaying the ruler and open another, the ruler
will not be displayed. The question is what caused the ruler not to be
displayed in the first place. I would suspect that this setting might be
saved with specific documents, but that would go against everything we've
been told about where these display settings are stored.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Tony Jollans" <My Forename at My Surname dot com> wrote in message

Tony Jollans

Feb 15, 2006, 6:58:55 PM2/15/06
Hi Suzanne,

Reformat of a part of your post to make sure I'm reading it correctly ...

> What I note is that, if I open a document and find that the ruler is
> not displayed, then one of two things happens.

> If I display the ruler, then close that document and open
> another, the ruler will be displayed.

> But if I close that document without displaying the ruler
> and open another, the ruler will not be displayed.

Wouldn't that be expected behaviour regardless of what caused the ruler not
to be displayed in the first place? And, if so, then all you're really
observing is that occasionally the ruler is not displayed upon opening of a
document. So ...

Is it always the same document?
Or is anything else coincident with, or a presursor to, it? Some code
perhaps - whether an add-in or not. or maybe some function of Word?

I do note that setting the ruler on is the first line of Graham's code so he
seems to think it is fickle. But I can't say I've ever had a problem with
it.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Feb 15, 2006, 7:58:44 PM2/15/06
That's what I meant by "consistently predictable." That is, the original
behavior is inconsistent and unpredictable, but what happens after that is
consistent and predictable. I have the same add-ins loaded every time I use
Word (which I start each morning and leave running all day). One of the
documents in which I consistently notice it is the document in which I store
the URLs I cite here. Half the time (maybe more than half), it opens without
the ruler. I usually turn the ruler on before closing it, but of course I
don't usually have occasion to save the doc. In addition to the ruler, I see
documents opening at strange Zooms.

But the *most* perplexing thing is that, even though I shut down every night
with Document1 displayed, in Normal view, with the ruler, about 25% of the
time, when I start Word the next morning, it will open in Print Layout view
and/or without the ruler. That's what I mean by "unpredictable" and
"inconsistent."

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Tony Jollans" <My Forename at My Surname dot com> wrote in message

Beth Melton

Feb 16, 2006, 7:03:33 PM2/16/06
Didn't we find the SnagIt add-in as the cause of your ruler and view
oddity?

Although I do recall a "Print Preview Ruler bug". If the ruler is
turned off in Print Preview then the ruler will also end up getting
turned off Normal or Print Layout view. See if these steps reproduce
the behavior:

- Create a new document (make sure the ruler is on)
- Switch to Print Preview (make sure the ruler is off)
- Close Print Preview by clicking the Close button in the upper right
corner
- Create a new document or open a document

Result: The Ruler will not display in the next opened document window.

If you have the ruler turned off in Print Preview or turn it off then
I'd say this is what you are encountering.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <sbar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Feb 16, 2006, 10:21:54 PM2/16/06
Coincidentally, I was just reading Dian's TechTrax article about SnagIt 8,
and in it was the first mention I'd seen of problems with the SnagIt add-in.
I don't use the add-in so could certainly uninstall it and see if that
helps.