Open Office (.odt file) - How to open in Word 2003

Smirnoff

Jun 27, 2008, 2:15:57 AM6/27/08
XP Pro (SP3)

Word 2003

Short of downloading OpenOffice myself, what is the best way to
open/edit .ODT files?

Is there an MS utility to do this?

A quick search reveals that Sun has such a program but would prefer an
MS solution rather than a third-party one if possible.

Windows tells me to go to Control Panel>Folder Options>File Associations
to choose a program to open the file but I assume that associating it
with Word 2003 wouldn't work.

As an aside, I have the MS compatibility pack to open Word 2007 (.docx)
files in 2003 and I understand you can can save as .odt in 2007 but that
it will not necessarily open the file automatically. Seems strange (if
you can save it as .odt).

Graham Mayor

Jun 27, 2008, 2:52:12 AM6/27/08
There is no MS utility, nor I would think is there likely to be.
You'll need either the third party utility or Open Office itself.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Smirnoff

Jun 27, 2008, 2:55:41 AM6/27/08
I see, thanks.

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

Smirnoff

Jun 27, 2008, 3:25:40 AM6/27/08
Well, I installed the Sun ODF plug in for Windows Office but when I
tried to open the .odt file it still asked me to go to Folder Options
and associate the file with a program. Sun ODF was not given as a
option.

I assume that odt is part of odf?

"Smirnoff" <som...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

Graham Mayor

Jun 27, 2008, 3:52:59 AM6/27/08
I have never had occasion to try this - but on briefly researching ODT, it
appears to be a zipped XML format, which is in effect what Microsoft DOCX
format is. If you set the confirm conversions on open option in Word
Options, what happens if you select DOCX as the file type at the prompt?

I don't see any option to save as ODT in Word 2007?

Smirnoff

Jun 27, 2008, 4:23:00 AM6/27/08
Sorry, may have seen a post that referred to ODF rather than ODT.

Anyway, I have now installed Open Office, so problem solved.

Thanks.

"Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message

Bob Buckland ?:-) At Beautiful Downtown

Jun 27, 2008, 9:47:40 AM6/27/08
Hi Graham,

FYI, while they didn't mention anything about back versions of Word, Microsoft has announced the support for Open Document Format
(ODF 1.1)files will be added to Word in Office 2007 in Service Pack 2 :)
http://microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2008/may08/05-21ExpandedFormatsPR.mspx

MS is one of the sponsors for developing an open source ODF converter
http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter

Microsoft is also planning on joining a few of the groups who work on standards :)
http://blogs.technet.com/gray_knowlton/archive/2008/05/21/microsoft-adds-save-as-odf-to-office-2007-service-pack-2.aspx

===========
<<"Graham Mayor" <gma...@REMOVETHISmvps.org> wrote in message news:%23GsLUJC...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

There is no MS utility, nor I would think is there likely to be.
You'll need either the third party utility or Open Office itself.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP >>

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Graham Mayor

Jun 27, 2008, 9:55:56 AM6/27/08
Thanks for the update.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com

Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Jun 29, 2008, 1:06:40 AM6/29/08
I installed the ODF translator add-in for Office 2007 a while back, and it
seems to work quite well. It's available at the 2nd link you mentioned.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" <75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com> wrote
in message news:%23NcevvF...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

rjhf

Oct 1, 2008, 7:49:00 AM10/1/08

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

>Versions supported...

Bob mentioned above that he had no knowledge of this working for back
versions of Word. In fact there is no mention anywhere during installation of
the versions supported until the installation is effectively complete - when
2007 is mentioned in the title!

I have just gone through the process, and having got to the end decided to
try it in my Word 2003 SP3 anyway - and I am pleased to say it works
perfectly - except (for the moment) I have been unable to open the .odt
documents from within Word, although from Explorer is fine.

Great help - as always; thanks!

rjhf

Oct 1, 2008, 8:04:01 AM10/1/08
Sorry - not the whole truth - mea culpa ...

After completing the installation, the read-me file opens automatically and
lists ALL the versions covered, and software requirements.

Similarly, it makes it quite clear that the OFD selection entries appear in
the File menu (and not simply as a listed extension in file/open)

KenLempit

Dec 1, 2008, 10:42:05 PM12/1/08
This plugin for office 2003 and 2007 worked great for me in Word 2007.

http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/download.html

JDMumma.com

Dec 18, 2008, 4:06:06 AM12/18/08
I just tested this and it seems the quickest and simplest.
Requires no plug-ins, can be done from any computer in the world and is free.
1) Upload the ODF (.odt) file to Google Docs*
2) Download and open as a Word file (or pdf, rtf, txt)

*You automatically have Google Docs if you have a gmail account
No I am not affiliated with Google, Microsoft, or the person watching you
right now... ;-)