word 2003 crashes everytime spanish spellcheck is used

Kemp@discussions.microsoft.com Lucy Kemp

Jun 29, 2007, 7:10:00 AM6/29/07
Hi there, I hope someone can help. I have Word 2003 small business edition.
When I type in Spanish, and try to pell check (either by right clicking or by
using the tools) Word just crashes. I have tried to repair the programme and
have installed it again several times. Nothing seems to fix it. It doesn't
happen on the other computers here (on same operating systems, same
everything really). I just don't understand it!! If anyone has any idea,
please could you help me? Even our computer guy was unable to finger the
problem! Thanks

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Jun 29, 2007, 6:16:56 PM6/29/07
I recall a problem in the released version of Office 2003 that cause crashes
when writing in Spanish and French. After applying service packs, the
problem no longer occurred.

When you choose Help - About, what version does it say? Here, it says I'm
using Word 2003 11.8134.8132 SP2.

If you're not using this version or later, I suggest you download the
service pack(s), and see if that solves the problem.From the menu, choose
Help - Check for Updates.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Lucy Kemp" <Lucy Ke...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lucy Kemp

Jul 2, 2007, 6:52:08 AM7/2/07
Thanks Herb, Unfortunately I have the same version as you stated
(11.8134.8132 SP2) and I checked for updates and it told me there were no new
updates available. Any other ideas? It is impossible to use now. Thanks for
the suggestion though!

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Jul 2, 2007, 11:05:14 AM7/2/07
My only other thoughts would be the kinds of problems described here (the
title notwithstanding, the troubleshooting described covers a host of
problems, including the ones you're encountering):

http://word.mvps.org/FAQS/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm

In particular:

normal.dot corruption (rename normal.dot)

registry corruption (delete or rename the Data key, as described in the
article)

other add-ins (turn them off)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Lucy Kemp" <Lucy...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lucy Kemp

Jul 9, 2007, 9:22:00 AM7/9/07
Thanks Herb, but nothing is working :(
I followed instructions for deleting/ amending registry keys etc.. and still
have the problem. Can anyone at all help??? I can't do my job without writing
in spanish!!!