Crash Upon Closing Word 2007

Garfield3d

Jan 1, 2008, 1:46:00 AM1/1/08
After Word 2007 crashed one day, I have been unable to 1.) Close word
properly, 2.) Open a file by directly clicking on it, or 3.) Highlight text
in Word. I've updated to Office SP1, uninstalled/reinstalled Office
Enterprise 2007, and even uninstalled Adobe Acrobat in case shared files were
causing problems.

Office Diagnostics cannot find anything wrong with the system. Notably, no
other Office applications (such as Outlook or Excel) crash nor exhibit
unusual behavior.

The crash always occurs when I attempt to close Word 2007, and I can easily
reproduce the crash on my system by simply closing word. It always gives me
the following error message:

-----------------
Microsoft Office Word has stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WINWORD.EXE
Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014
Application Timestamp: 45428028
Fault Module Name: mso.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.4518.1014
Fault Module Timestamp: 4542867b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003977b
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033
Brand: Office12Crash
skulcid: 1033

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409
-----------------------------

Please help. I am effectively unable to use Word at home and I've been
visiting the library in order to get anything done.

Terry Farrell

Jan 1, 2008, 5:16:23 AM1/1/08
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm which covers
closing problems too.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Garfield3d" <Garfi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

CB

Jan 9, 2008, 8:51:01 PM1/9/08
This has seems to have happened after the program crashes. Do you have a
step by step solution. That is what we need.

ch3f

Jan 9, 2008, 10:44:01 PM1/9/08
Having the same issue, i have read somewhere that it is a add-in that is
causing the issue (in my case it was a version of MYOB which i have removed
but to no effect) The instructions were to go to the office button click on
word options and then go to Add-ins and remove the offending module. The
problem is the mouse impotence carrys on to this screen as well making it
impossible to select the add-ins area (tabbing does nothing either). if
anyone can let me know if there is a way to uninstall word add-ins without
going via the office button in word or if there is another way to beat this
fault I would be eternally gratful

cheers,
chef

Henri Koppen

Jan 10, 2008, 9:31:02 AM1/10/08
I have the same problem.

How to disable add-ins? It happened after updates and the systeem rebooted
(while I was working in word and away for 15 minutes)
--
Henri Koppen
www.arcencus.nl

Henri Koppen

Jan 10, 2008, 9:43:03 AM1/10/08
Same here

--
Henri Koppen
www.arcencus.nl

Henri Koppen

Jan 10, 2008, 11:00:00 AM1/10/08
FOUND IT!

It has to do with windows update rebooting my computer when I was working in
Word (I was away for 15 minutes). It corrupted my normal.dotm.

I resolved it by opening Word, choose New (document), then you see templates
and recent templates. Remove all recent templates (normal.dotm should be
there too because it was corrupted).

Pfff, two hours gone!!

CB

Jan 10, 2008, 3:26:05 PM1/10/08
How do remove the template? When I go into word options, addins, and choose
remove to the addin it does not remove it. It is still there when I open and
check.

Terry Farrell

Jan 10, 2008, 3:50:09 PM1/10/08
Add-in templates are nearly always in the Word Startup folder. Remove the
templates and test the problem is resolved. Then if there was more than one
template, replace them in Word Startup one at a time until you find the bad
one.

Terry

"CB" <C...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Henri Koppen

Jan 11, 2008, 4:04:00 AM1/11/08
I could not even show ADD-INS tab in settings because of the normal.dotm
corruption! But as you choose NEW document you get a TAB with templates,
Normal.dotm should be in Recent created. ADD-In is something different than a
template.

Henri Koppen

Hounds1234

Jan 13, 2008, 5:01:01 PM1/13/08
I'm having the exact same problem. Here is a copy of my error messages:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WINWORD.EXE

Application Version: 12.0.6211.1000
Application Timestamp: 46d4a7df
Fault Module Name: mso.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.6213.1000
Fault Module Timestamp: 46eafebf
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003aff6
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033
Brand: Office12Crash
skulcid: 1033

I am running Office 2007 and Vista. This is really frustrating because I
use Word all the time. I completely de-installed Word and then re-installed
it and the problem persists. I also deleted all my templates (I think) with
no love.

Hounds1234

Jan 13, 2008, 9:21:00 PM1/13/08
Oh, I should also mention that I do not know how to disable add-ins. The
mouse will not work when attempting to manage add-ins from the Word options.
It's the same problem as happens in word where the mouse simply will not
highlight or select anything. The other poster was able to use tabs to
delete recent templates, but this is not possible using Vista.

Man, is this frustrating. I've spent 3 hours on this problem already....

Hounds1234

Jan 13, 2008, 10:19:00 PM1/13/08
http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/troubleshootin1/qt/wordregentry.htmSUCCESS!!!!

It was a registry problem. I followed the directions at this site and now
I'm good to go again. That's a relief.

http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/troubleshootin1/qt/wordregentry.htm

Henri Koppen

Jan 14, 2008, 3:48:03 AM1/14/08
Thx for the link.

Strange that Microsoft is unable to handle normal.dot corruptions since
they can have a severe impact en a normal user will not be able to solve this
problem. It took me a few hours too. It was after someone asked "have you
tried to delete the normal.dot template" that I found my answer.

BTW It happened that I was working in Word, installed an update, walked
ayway from the computer and the computer decided to do a forced reboot for
changes to take effect. I turned of Automatic Updates, it's bad practice to
shut down forcefully just because a frikkin' update.

Richard

Feb 19, 2008, 9:20:06 AM2/19/08
I had the same problem and the registry adit solved it!

Jurado@discussions.microsoft.com Jay Jurado

Feb 24, 2008, 5:30:01 PM2/24/08
Here is how we repair the problem:
You Need to run regedit.

1. From the Windows Start menu, select Run

2. Type regedit in the box and click OK

3. On the left side of the window, click the folders in the following order
(the location will vary depending on your version of Word):
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\version number\Word\Data

4. Right-click the Data folder and select Edit

5. Rename the folder

6. Close the registry

When you restart Word, the problem should be resolved. A new data folder
will be created automatically.

Brendon

May 30, 2008, 8:16:00 AM5/30/08
Worked for me too. Thank you!

Sharise

Jun 15, 2008, 9:53:00 PM6/15/08
That worked! Thanks for the link.

kel...@sc.rr.com

Aug 5, 2008, 1:21:49 PM8/5/08
On Jun 15, 9:53 pm, Sharise <Shar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> That worked! Thanks for the link.
>

> "Hounds1234" wrote:
> >http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/troubleshootin1/qt/wordregentry.ht...

kel...@sc.rr.com

Aug 5, 2008, 1:25:50 PM8/5/08
The fix worked for me, too! Thanks SO much - The link was just what
I needed.

Jun 15, 9:53 pm, Sharise <Shar...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> That worked! Thanks for the link.
>

> "Hounds1234" wrote:

> >http://wordprocessing.about.com/od/troubleshootin1/qt/wordregentry.ht...

suzaan

Oct 30, 2008, 11:17:01 PM10/30/08

suzaan

Oct 30, 2008, 11:19:08 PM10/30/08

I having the same problem with word. The url provided doesn't work:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProbsOpeningWord.htm

Help!

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Oct 30, 2008, 11:40:32 PM10/30/08
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ProblemsStartingWord.htm

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

suzaan

Oct 31, 2008, 12:36:00 AM10/31/08

Thanks, but nothing on page helped; other thoughts 2oule be appreciated.
Would reinstalling Word help?

Terry Farrell

Oct 31, 2008, 5:23:16 AM10/31/08
So what happens when you start in Safe Mode?

Terry

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

suzaan

Oct 31, 2008, 9:26:00 PM10/31/08
Essentially the same thing. I get an error message saying the application has
to close.

BTW, I can't get into Add Ins at all -- none of the links on the Word
Options screen work (either in "safe" or regular mode).

Also, I did reinstall Word; no help.

Thanks!

suzaan

Nov 1, 2008, 5:45:01 PM11/1/08
I have an Office startup file with nothing in it -- and don't see a Word
startup file. Where do I find it?

Unfortunately, I don't see any templates when I go to create a new document.

Thanks!

Terry Farrell

Nov 1, 2008, 6:06:37 PM11/1/08
Username/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Word/Startup

Terry

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

suzaan

Nov 1, 2008, 7:26:01 PM11/1/08
Found the templates in Startup -- thanks.
Cleaned them out. Program still crashes with same error message.
Help!!

suzaan

Nov 1, 2008, 8:51:01 PM11/1/08
Unfortunately this didn't work for me. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

suzaan

Nov 1, 2008, 9:35:00 PM11/1/08
Initially, Word crashed whenever I closed the app. Tried all the suggestions
found in this forum, to no avail. Now, I can't access documents in Word at
all -- can open the docs but cannot edit them. My livelihood depends on
writing and editing.

I'm desperate -- help!!

Terry Farrell

Nov 2, 2008, 5:10:51 AM11/2/08
Are you using an HP Printer?

Terry

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Terry Farrell

Nov 2, 2008, 5:15:34 AM11/2/08
Answered your previous posting.

Terry

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

suzaan

Nov 2, 2008, 8:03:00 AM11/2/08
Yes

suzaan

Nov 2, 2008, 8:06:00 AM11/2/08

Assuming your response meant i needed to disable my hp printer (which has
aways worked without mishap), I did that. No change in situation.

suzaan

Nov 2, 2008, 8:37:01 AM11/2/08

PS I've taken ALL the other steps suggested here, as well. Nothing has
worked.

Terry Farrell

Nov 2, 2008, 4:10:10 PM11/2/08
There's your problem. Change to another printer.

Terry

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Terry Farrell

Nov 2, 2008, 4:12:29 PM11/2/08
I didn't mean disable your printer: I meant use a DIFFERENT printer. Word
MUST have a compatible printer driver to work: many of the older -
especially multi-function and Deskjet drivers - are incompatible with Office
2007.

Terry

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

suzaan

Nov 2, 2008, 4:22:11 PM11/2/08
So the two HP printers I have hooked up to my PC are not suddenly
incompatible with Vista, after a year or so of use. And I have to buy new
printers.

I don't understand.

"Terry Farrell" wrote:

> Add-in templates are nearly always in the Word Startup folder. Remove the
> templates and test the problem is resolved. Then if there was more than one
> template, replace them in Word Startup one at a time until you find the bad
> one.
>
> Terry
>
> "CB" <C...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do remove the template? When I go into word options, addins, and
> > choose
> > remove to the addin it does not remove it. It is still there when I open
> > and
> > check.
> >
> > "Henri Koppen" wrote:
> >
> >> FOUND IT!
> >>
> >> It has to do with windows update rebooting my computer when I was working
> >> in
> >> Word (I was away for 15 minutes). It corrupted my normal.dotm.
> >>

> >> I resolved it by opening Word, choose New (document), then you see

suzaan

Nov 2, 2008, 5:37:00 PM11/2/08
Disconnected printers; uninstalled and disconnected printers; cleaned
registry; rebooted. Word still crashes with same error message.

Terry Farrell

Nov 2, 2008, 6:06:01 PM11/2/08
Have they worked correctly with Vista/Word2007 before now?

To test if it is the printer drivers, switch to an alternative. If you have
either the Microsoft Office Document Image Writer or XPS Document Writer
installed, set one of them as the Windows default printer and test opening
and closing Word again. If you have either, use the Add Printer utility and
choose the Generis Text Printer and set it as the Windows Default and test
again.

Terry

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

suzaan

Nov 2, 2008, 6:35:01 PM11/2/08
Yes, they have worked fine more than a year. Suddenly Word just started
crashing; not change in setup at all, except automatic updates from msft.

I tried Word after uninstalling the HP printer drivers; Per your email, I
tried switching to XPS Document Writer. Same crash; same error message.

Thanks!

Terry Farrell

Nov 3, 2008, 4:16:49 AM11/3/08
Well that's me out of ideas. Either you have missed a diagnostic step or you
have a very serious problem that cannot be diagnosed remotely. At this stage
I would recommend backing up all your user data, making sure that you have
all the latest drivers and then wipe your HDD and do a fresh install.

Terry

"suzaan" <suz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

suzaan

Nov 3, 2008, 9:00:00 AM11/3/08

Well, thanks for try. I appreciate your efforts.
Honestly, I think if I have to do all that -- and lose all my apps --I'll
either go to Open Office, or maybe just switch to Mac.

Bobbie

Dec 12, 2008, 8:37:01 AM12/12/08

"CB" wrote:

> How do remove the template? When I go into word options, addins, and choose
> remove to the addin it does not remove it. It is still there when I open and
> check.
>
> "Henri Koppen" wrote:
>
> > FOUND IT!
> >
> > It has to do with windows update rebooting my computer when I was working in
> > Word (I was away for 15 minutes). It corrupted my normal.dotm.
> >
> > I resolved it by opening Word, choose New (document), then you see templates
> > and recent templates. Remove all recent templates (normal.dotm should be
> > there too because it was corrupted).
> >
> > Pfff, two hours gone!!
> >

> > --
> > Henri Koppen
> > www.arcencus.nl
> > ~~~
> > No place like 127.0.0.1

Thank you for all the above suggested solutions to this program. Have
tried all suggestions listed: remove add-in program; removed corrupted
templates in Word [removed 2-designated with yellow box with check on icon];
went through system diagnostics; used repair on original disc. The Word
options command stills locks and the entire program still crashes on closing.
My error is still Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WINWORD.EXE

Application Version: 12.0.6331.5000
Application Timestamp: 48fa27b4
Fault Module Name: mso.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.6320.5000
Fault Module Timestamp: 485ae817
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0003a9ed
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033
Brand: Office12Crash
skulcid: 1033

Again, any help anyone may provide would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Terry Farrell

Dec 12, 2008, 11:23:49 AM12/12/08
HP Printer?

Terry

"Bobbie" <Bob...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

suzaan

Dec 12, 2008, 12:06:01 PM12/12/08

actually, I replace the mso.dll file, and that seemed to do the trick.

Bobbie

Dec 13, 2008, 8:27:00 AM12/13/08
These instructions worked beautifully. Thank you for your very quick
response and for saving me many more hours of frustration.
Bobbie

"Jay Jurado" wrote:

> Here is how we repair the problem:
> You Need to run regedit.
>
> 1. From the Windows Start menu, select Run
>
> 2. Type regedit in the box and click OK
>
> 3. On the left side of the window, click the folders in the following order
> (the location will vary depending on your version of Word):
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\version number\Word\Data
>
> 4. Right-click the Data folder and select Edit
>
> 5. Rename the folder
>
> 6. Close the registry
>
> When you restart Word, the problem should be resolved. A new data folder
> will be created automatically.

> "Garfield3d" wrote:
>
> > After Word 2007 crashed one day, I have been unable to 1.) Close word
> > properly, 2.) Open a file by directly clicking on it, or 3.) Highlight text
> > in Word. I've updated to Office SP1, uninstalled/reinstalled Office
> > Enterprise 2007, and even uninstalled Adobe Acrobat in case shared files were
> > causing problems.
> >
> > Office Diagnostics cannot find anything wrong with the system. Notably, no
> > other Office applications (such as Outlook or Excel) crash nor exhibit
> > unusual behavior.
> >
> > The crash always occurs when I attempt to close Word 2007, and I can easily
> > reproduce the crash on my system by simply closing word. It always gives me
> > the following error message:
> >
> > -----------------
> > Microsoft Office Word has stopped working
> >

> > Problem signature:
> > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
> > Application Name: WINWORD.EXE

> > Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014
> > Application Timestamp: 45428028
> > Fault Module Name: mso.dll

> > Fault Module Version: 12.0.4518.1014
> > Fault Module Timestamp: 4542867b

> > Exception Code: c0000005
> > Exception Offset: 0003977b
> > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

> > Locale ID: 1033
> >
> > Additional information about the problem:
> > LCID: 1033
> > Brand: Office12Crash
> > skulcid: 1033
> >
> > Read our privacy statement:
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

elcapitanp

Jan 4, 2009, 9:28:00 PM1/4/09
I fixed this by clicking on "Open" under the office button, and the normal
template is displayed. It would not let me delete this template with word
open, so I copied out the URL for the containing folder (since it was hidden
in the navigation tree) and pasted it into Windows Explorer. I deleted it
there and voila, problem solved.

Jimbo_n2

Jun 12, 2009, 7:12:01 PM6/12/09
I realize that this is an old post, but here is the solution that worked form
me.

1. Close Word and Outlook
2. Start / Run and type regedit
3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data
4. Rename or delete this key
5. Restart Word

Terry Farrell

Jun 13, 2009, 4:54:20 AM6/13/09
And a corrupt Data key is usually the result of running Office updates
whilst Word is still running.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Jimbo_n2" <Jimb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message