Word crashes every time I close the program!

alicia...@gmail.com

May 20, 2008, 1:40:17 PM5/20/08
I'm using Word 2007, but I still save all my documents as .doc since
most people I know are still using the older verision. Every time I
close the program, Word will essentially crash, ask to recover my work
and send an error report. This does not happen if I'm working on
a .docx file. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Terry Farrell

May 20, 2008, 2:55:48 PM5/20/08
Most likely you are using an HP printer?

--
There are three possible causes: an incompatible (HP) printer driver, a
partially corrupt Word DataKey or an incompatible third party add-in.

If you have an HP printer, switch to another printer and test again.

If it is the DataKey, simply delete
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\version number\Word\Data.

The DataKey is automatically regenerated by Word when you next start it.

To see if it is an add-in, test by running in Safe Mode. From Start, Run
(Winkey+R), type in

winword /a

and press enter. Open a document and test for editing and closing now. If it
is OK now, then you have installed something that has placed an incompatible
add-in in Word/Office.

See how to find add-ins

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/CheckIfAddinsInstalled.htm

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011514521033.aspx

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

<alicia...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Plotin

May 25, 2008, 11:14:09 AM5/25/08

Like Terry says, do you have a HP printer? If yes, try to unselect this
printer as the default one. Then, when you have to printe, you have to
select the HP printer each time. It's the only way to workaround this
problem.

Hopes that help you,
GF
<alicia...@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
13881b84-2be4-45b2...@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com...

clav...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2008, 2:02:38 AM6/7/08
On May 25, 11:14 am, "Plotin" <ploti...@hotmail.comenlever> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Like Terry says, do you have a HP printer? If yes, try to unselect this
> printer as the default one. Then, when you have to printe, you have to
> select the HP printer each time. It's the only way to workaround this
> problem.
>
> Hopes that help you,
> GF
> <alicia.she...@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 13881b84-2be4-45b2-a015-6982b00e3...@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com...

> > I'm using Word 2007, but I still save all my documents as .doc since
> > most people I know are still using the older verision. Every time I
> > close the program, Word will essentially crash, ask to recover my work
> > and send an error report. This does not happen if I'm working on
> > a .docx file. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I have a very similar problem:

I open a word doc or docx, then close it and it closes correctly. I
open the same doc(x) and then click office button and then on the
print button and don't print or print then close and 100% of the time
the same crash.

I don't seem to have any add on installed (com ones) and I can't seem
to locate the normal.dot file.

I did switch to another printer as default and that fixed the issue
like your problem. I was chatting with HP support and that is the fix
they gave me and he said they are working on the issue.

Dennis

krou...@gmail.com

May 19, 2014, 9:37:27 AM5/19/14
I know this thread is old, but just like I stumbled on it, other people may.
I resolved the problem by deleting/renaming my normal.dotm file located in C:\Users\%username%\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Hope this helps!