Can't change registry entry

WF

Aug 4, 2007, 6:12:01 PM8/4/07
I am trying to reinstall XP Pro. When installing SP2 I get an Error 5 Access
denied. I have followd the instructions in KB873148 and KB906485. The
registry key that needs attention according to %windir%\setupapi.log is
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ssdpsrv\\DependOnService

There is no value DependOnSevice at \ssdpsrv. Further. I notice that there
are two backslashes in front of ssdpsrv. Not sure what that means. However,
I m unable to make any edits in this part of the registry. Other areas I
can. Is the same reason that I cannot make changes the same reason that
Windows cannot change the registry and I get the Access Denied message?

Further, I am digging a deep hole. This all started as my systerm was
running slow and required much tweeking. I was trying to "repair" or seeing
if anything needed to be repaired and I pressed R and the software took off,
deleted the OS and went into the reinstall routine. Bad break. Anyway, I
did not scratch the drive and was able to recover some badly needed files.
My backup is about one year ole.

Lots' of frustration here. I'm about 8 hurs into a simple OS reinstall.
Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thnaks,

Wynn

nass

Aug 5, 2007, 11:42:01 AM8/5/07

"WF" wrote:

All about Error 5 Access denied:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?query=Error+5+Access+denied&cboDiscussionGroup=en_US_91a15a1e-b269-4291-b6b4-dc2d504ce9ef%3Amicrosoft.public.windowsxp.general%3Aen%3AUS%3A%3A%3A%3A&=Go&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en_US_91a15a1e-b269-4291-b6b4-dc2d504ce9ef&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

First make sure your machine is clean from malware and viruses then try the
installation of SP2.
1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Taps:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256

2... You need to be sure your system is clean from malware and Viruses by
scanning for them
Scan for malwares from here:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm?s_cid=sah
http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-gb/default.htm
Run a scan from here on-line:
Download Avast Cleaner from here:
Lots of tools to download and disinfect your machine:
http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/site/Downloads/browseFreeRemovalTool/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php
http://www.safer-networking.org ; for Spybot S&D
Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986/
Run disk clean up and defrag in safe mode.

"Access Denied" error when trying to install SP2
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7796&view=next
You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/

Adware T.V. Media Program Removal Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886590/

Then Download Windows Service Pack 2 Standalone Version
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en
HTH.
nass
------