USB input devices fail to install

srdiamond

Jul 22, 2009, 5:13:01 PM7/22/09

I did a REPAIR INSTALL of Windows XP Home, and when I restarted the computer,
I receive the message that my mouse will not install. Same effect with other
devices. But when I do the repair install again, I regain use of my mouse (or
any mouse I can find. I have to use a non-USB keyboard for any access when I
lose the mouse.)

Here's the error message:
>Cannot Install this Hardware

>There was a problem installing this hardware: Logitech HID-compliant
>Marble Mouse

>An error occurred during this installation of the device

>Fatal error during installation.

>Click Finish to close the wizard.

I'm wondering if the problem is that my repair install leaves out the
updates needed to install the hardware, since it's only SP1. If that's the
case, I don't know how to get them, since I lose use of the mouse when
Windows update tells me to reboot, whereas if I reboot to another repair
install, I'd lose the update.

Or is the problem something else. I find it hard to conceive what.

Anteaus

Jul 23, 2009, 1:33:01 AM7/23/09

Check the motherboard chipset drivers ae installed.

If so, a BIOS reset might be needed.

srdiamond

Jul 23, 2009, 12:06:01 PM7/23/09
The problem resolved "spontaneously." After another repair install (the
fourth I did in a day), the mouse installed successfully and the computer now
accepts USB input devices.

smlunatick

Jul 24, 2009, 2:59:05 PM7/24/09
On Jul 23, 5:06 pm, srdiamond <srdiam...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Repair reinstalls tend to require the same SP level that is installed
before your repair. If your system is at SP3, any repair reinstall
without SP3 pre-installed on the install CD will / can / does cause
these problems.

srdiamond

Jul 24, 2009, 4:22:01 PM7/24/09
That makes sense, as I managed to install SP3 before the last (and
successful) repair install.