Stop: c000021a (Fatal System Error)

rsaul

Dec 27, 2006, 2:55:01 PM12/27/06
I have Windows XP Home Edition on a Compaq desktop. When I tried to use it
after it had been on screen saver then after the hard drive had shut down, I
could not get to the User screen. A blue screen came up with the message
STOP: c000021a came up followed by logon failed at 0xc0000135. The computer
then shuts down. Is there any way of getting back to the user screen? I
can't get on to access the WEB so what does a person do?
--
Roger

nass

Dec 27, 2006, 3:17:01 PM12/27/06

"rsaul" wrote:

Hi Roger,
Do you have GoBack (Norton) installed on your computer, if yes go here and
read this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503
If the above wasn't helpful write back with more info or look in the Event
Viewer for any Error Messages (X) and send them in your next post.
HTH.
Regards,
nass
-------
www.nasstec.co.uk

Gerry Cornell

Dec 27, 2006, 8:33:39 PM12/27/06
You are getting two Stop Error messages, Can you provide the full text
of the first one.

Disable automatic restart on system failure. This should
help by allowing time to write down the STOP code properly.
Keep pressing the F8 key during StartUp and select option
- Disable automatic restart on system failure.

Do not re-enable automatic restart on system failure until
you have resolved the problem. Check for variants of the
Stop Error message.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rsaul

Dec 28, 2006, 8:32:01 AM12/28/06
My error message is as follows: STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a
status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.
That was the entire message. I tried pressing F8 but it would do nothing.
I have no control over the computer at all as I can't get to the user screen
to log on.
--
Roger

rsaul

Dec 28, 2006, 8:34:00 AM12/28/06
I could not try your suggestion because I have no control over the computer
because I can't get to the user screen when I try to log on. Any other
suggestions??
--
Roger

Gerry Cornell

Dec 28, 2006, 6:00:10 PM12/28/06
How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/156669/en-us

Are all Windows XP updates installed including SP2?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rsaul wrote:
> My error message is as follows: STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)
> The windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly
> with
> a status of 0xc0000135 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
> The system has been shut down.
> That was the entire message. I tried pressing F8 but it would do
> nothing. I have no control over the computer at all as I can't get
> the user screen to log on.

sjjjcallahan

Aug 23, 2007, 10:32:02 PM8/23/07
Hello Roger,
I have been frantically trying for about 24 hours straight to solve this
very same problem you had back in December. I've only become more frustrated
with each blog and troubleshooting advice I've read. No one seems to get the
fact that the computer is completely rendered useless after the BSOD. There
is no getting to a command prompt to perform the recommended tasks on
Microsoft's website "How to solve .... blah blah blah." Now that I've vented
my thoughts to you, please do tell me how did you actually solve this problem
with a non-functioning computer. I work from home and have several financial
reports I need to run - I'm hoping they are all not lost. I would appreciate
any input anyone has to give, but PLEASE KEEP IN MIND ... the computer wil
not let me do anything I've tried by hitting the F8 key and trying those
routes. I still cannot get to a command prompt.
PLEASE please please help - it's so important!
Thanks!
Sharon

Patrick Keenan

Aug 23, 2007, 10:52:52 PM8/23/07
"sjjjcallahan" <sjjjca...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hello Roger,
> I have been frantically trying for about 24 hours straight to solve this
> very same problem you had back in December. I've only become more
> frustrated
> with each blog and troubleshooting advice I've read. No one seems to get
> the
> fact that the computer is completely rendered useless after the BSOD.
> There
> is no getting to a command prompt to perform the recommended tasks on
> Microsoft's website "How to solve .... blah blah blah." Now that I've
> vented
> my thoughts to you, please do tell me how did you actually solve this
> problem
> with a non-functioning computer. I work from home and have several
> financial
> reports I need to run - I'm hoping they are all not lost. I would
> appreciate
> any input anyone has to give, but PLEASE KEEP IN MIND ... the computer wil
> not let me do anything I've tried by hitting the F8 key and trying those
> routes. I still cannot get to a command prompt.
> PLEASE please please help - it's so important!
> Thanks!
> Sharon

If you can't start the system at all, you first need to change focus for a
moment, and that's to protecting and recovering your data.

If you've got access to another system, this is easy to do if you have
access to another XP system with enough drive space. Simply remove the
drive from your system, and attach it to the other system either via
internal cabling or a USB2 drive case (about $20).

You may need to Take Ownership if you get Access Denied messages when you
try to copy the data files:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

You can just copy the data, but if you're unsure as to the extent of exactly
what you need, download and install on the other system, the Acronis
TrueImage trial (about 100 meg, www.acronis.com). Attach your drive and
create an image of it, after deleting the one or two largest files in the
root - pagefile.sys and hiberfl.sys and emptying the wastebasket. Making
the image should take about half an hour; when it's done, verify that you
can mount the image and open some of the data files. This will also keep
all your email and address lists, from locations that you may not be aware
of.

And from that point, if your secondary system has the correct apps, you can
do the work you most need to do.

Finally, the references towards the bottom of this page, from "In-Place
Upgrade" down, may help. From that point in the article, they stop talking
about command prompts.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156669

You may need to do a repair install, which will fix issues with mismatched
system files and service packs or restored files, but you should start with
protecting your data.

That way, even if you had to wipe the drive - or, a better choice, spend
$50-$75 on a brand new drive and reinstall to that, removing and preserving
your old drive as the data source - you won't have to worry too much about
restoring the data. It can simply be copied back into place. If you
take that route, *remove* your old drive during the reinstall, and don't
re-attach it till you are ready to copy the data back.

HTH
-pk

IamAMonkey

Sep 4, 2007, 6:16:55 PM9/4/07

I have just joined here and was experiencing very similar issues (XP
sp2). My status was :status of 0xc0000096 (0x00000000 0x00000000). I
was , however, able to log in under safe mode. A system restore was of
no use as everytime I restarted in normal mode I got the same BSOD.
After trawling several sites I tried running chkdsk and this did throw
up some errors. After restarting again.... It seems to be fine ( as of
yet).
So I may have been lucky... CHKDSK is always something to try....you
never know.

--
IamAMonkey
IamAMonkey's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30529

http://forums.techarena.in

canadiangeeks

Feb 25, 2009, 1:55:21 PM2/25/09

I have fixed the problem. Follow the steps below.
1. Go to safe mode by pressing F8 when booting up
2. In safe mode, click stark>run and type in msconfig and hit enter
3. Under general tab select Diagnostic Startup and hit apply and
restart your computer in normal mode
4. After restarting your computer, if internet is working, do windows
update and install SP3
5. After restarting your computer, if internet doesn't work, go to
msconfig and under services, enable only the obvious microsoft services
and restart
6. Once done with SP3 install, your computer should be good to go.

I did the above steps and it works on my computer.

Hope this helps.

--
canadiangeeks
canadiangeeks's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/canadiangeeks.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

acbotm

Mar 12, 2009, 12:55:48 PM3/12/09

I have the same fatal system error c000021a on my computer.

I have tried loading save mode and last known good configuration but
both start to load and then the blue fatal system error screen comes up.
Is there a way I can get past this screen?

Thanks!

--
acbotm
acbotm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/acbotm.htm

charyl

Jun 1, 2009, 1:26:34 PM6/1/09

How do you do this or can you send me a link that gives more
information?
-If you've got access to another system, this is easy to do if you have

access to another XP system with enough drive space. Simply remove the
drive from your system, and attach it to the other system either via

internal cabling or a USB2 drive case (about $20).-

--
charyl
charyl's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/101360.htm

Peter

Jul 23, 2009, 7:06:01 PM7/23/09

"acbotm" wrote:

> Okay i have windows XP Professional on ma computer service pack 3, i kinda got a little mod on my windows XP to change The log on screen a bit, after a full system virus scan with avg i decided to turn it off so i could put in a new 1.0TB hard drive that i bought,(not plugged in yet). i was going to shutdown when i accidentally hit the restart button and restarted my computer, i was going to shutdown from the log on screen , when my computer made the "pewwwsshhhh" noise like during a shutdown and a blue screen came up saying exactly this.

STOP:c00021a {Fatal System Error}}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a
status of ocx0000135.

(0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shutdown.

The virus scan showed no positives. Luckily i have a dual boot
configuration on my computer which means more operating systems. my other
windows XP professional, is Okay, and after some deep deep deep deep scanning
i found rootkits in my registry, and quarantined them, they were marked as
unidentified.
I also killed some spyware nad decided to try my busted windows again...
No luck, i've been at this for 5 days already, please help me!!!!!!

Peter

Jul 24, 2009, 4:48:01 PM7/24/09

"Peter" wrote:sorry i wrote the error message wrong its

"STOP: c00021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a

status of 0xc0000135

alebelucio

Aug 2, 2009, 1:26:02 AM8/2/09

The procedure below taken from
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1197271.htm
fixed my problem.

--------------------
Boot into the Windows XP Recovery Console using the Windows XP CD-ROM
or
using the startup option (if available). See article How to install and
use
the Recovery Console in Windows XP for more information.

Type in the password for your installation of Windows XP, and press
Enter.

When you see the C:\Windows Prompt, type this command:

DIR $*

This lists all the folder starting with the letter $. All the
$NtUninstall.... folders are now displayed. $NtUninstall folders are
nothing
but the Hotfix backup folders, which contains the original version of
the
system files, before the hotfix was installed.

Note down the Hotfix numbers matching the date you installed the
problematic
Hotfix(es). Spot the Hotfix that you want to remove, and change to
that
directory by typing this:

CHDIR $NtUninstallKBnnnnnn$\spuninst

Example:

CHDIR $NtUninstallKB873333$\spuninst

Once you're in that folder, you'll need to execute the spuninst.txt
which
contains DOS commands, similar to a .BAT file. The command instructions
in
this spuninst.txt file will actually copy the original system files to
their
respective folders. To run the spuninst.txt file, type this:

BATCH spuninst.txt

The hotfix will be uninstalled. Restart, and see if the problem is
resolved.
If Windows loads normally, open Add/Remove Programs and completely
uninstall
that particular hotfix. This ensures that the additional files,
Add/Remove
entries and other registry keys added by the Hotfix are removed
completely.

If Windows does not load, load Recovery Console again and then follow
the
above procedure to remove the additional Hotfixes one at a time, to
isolate
the problem. If you install multiple Hotfixes in a single session,
it's
difficult to point out which of the installed Hotfixes is preventing
Windows
XP from loading. Hence you need to troubleshoot it on a trial and
error
basis, using Recovery Console.

--
alebelucio