A fix for Windows XP Pro. ASR stopped working.

Mike Jenkins

Jan 10, 2006, 3:35:51 PM1/10/06
A few days ago I posted a request for help with a problem in Windows XP
Professional where suddenly the ASR utility no longer works. The
symptoms were: When attempting to run the ASR Backup Wizard in Windows
XP Professional an error message is returned: "The files for recovery
diskette could not be created. The operation was cancelled". I did some
more research/testing today on a system where this problem was present
and found a fix for the problem (at least on that PC). I noticed that
every time I attempted to run the ASR utility and it encountered the
above error there was an event log "DCOM" error where it was trying to
start a service "dadmin" and it failed. After researching just what
"dadmin" was related to, I found it was the "Logical Disk Management"
services. When checking the status of the two related services "Logical
Disk Manager" and "Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service" I found
them both disabled! Set the first one to Automatic and the second one
to Manual and the problem has been solved! I have no idea how they got
disabled, but that was causing this problem with the ASR utility. I am
posting this in the hope that it may help somebody else struggling with
this problem. The Microsoft web site was of no help at all!