Shutdown Error - Program "Sample" not responding...

Brett

Feb 2, 2004, 9:03:31 PM2/2/04
I recently purchased a 'Dell' Latitude notebook with XP Pro installed on it.
Every time I go to shut down the machine I get a message "End Program -
Sample", a timeline runs down with the options of ending the program or
cancelling.

If I don't select the end option the computer hangs on an end program
screen.

I have contacted Dell and, after being on hold for 40 mins, was alledged
that I had a virus on the machine (Win32/Nimda.E Worm). I run Nortons Anti
Virus and downloaded the latest Nimda removal tool which advised that I do
not have the virus on my machine.

I run only a few software applications as follows:
- A I Roboform
- Mr. Mirror
- Dreamweaver
- Nortons Anti Virus
- Casio PhotoLoader
- Electronic Commerce Interface (Australian Taxation Dept software)
- MS Office XP

I will try and raise this issue again with Dell in their support pages. Any
help greatly appreciated.

Brett

roger

Feb 2, 2004, 11:56:18 PM2/2/04
Hi Brett,

It seems this thread could be useful to you:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_general&message.id=34147

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Brett

Feb 3, 2004, 12:23:58 AM2/3/04
Thanks for that - I'd already read that discussion thread and followed one
chap's proposed solution.

I attempted to uninstall the driver for the card and downloaded and
(attempted) installed the updated driver files. On both occasions it failed
as it still displays the old driver version number.

I will keep trying on the Dell site.

Many thanks
Brett

"roger" <sergiorogerdon'ts...@esmas.com> wrote in message

Brett

Feb 3, 2004, 7:08:27 PM2/3/04
Just for anyone's information, I have fixed the problem by doing the
following:
- don't follow the instructions (destructions) as provided on the Dell web
site
- remove the Intel ProSet software from the PC
- uninstall the drivers for the Wireless card
- install the new software/drivers as provided from the Dell site (file
R64838.exe)
- restart the machine --> machine no longer hangs on shutdown.

Brett

"Brett" <no_spam_pl...@qrtsa.com.au> wrote in message

roger

Feb 4, 2004, 2:01:25 PM2/4/04
You're welcome.
Sorry it didn't work.

mahvelous

Mar 9, 2005, 4:40:01 PM3/9/05

I own a Dell Laptop Inspiron (and I have a wireless connections) and I
was having the same problem with the End Program Sample popping up
twice before I could shut down. I thought it was hidden spyware.

On top of that, when I try to print off of Wordperfect, it will not
print until I log off completely. Any new software programs (like Turbo
Tax Deluxe 2004) I downloaded ever since the End Program Sample pop up
started were problematic too, and would not upload when I double click
on them - which is a REAL issue.

I contacted Brett who gave me these REALLY HELPFUL step-by-step
instructions on how to fix the Sample.exe error

This is what Brett advised.

Remove the Intel ProSet software from the PC.

If you have already done this step, well and good. If not, this
software can be removed from the "Add/Remove Software" section of the
"Control Panel".

Uninstall the drivers for the Wireless card
My operating system is XP.
Go into the "Control Panel", select "System" (you may need to select
"classic view" from the left-hand-side pane for it to appear), select
the "Hardware" tab along the top, select "Device Manager".

The Device Manager should bring up a breakdown of your pc's hardware
components. Look for the "Network adapters" branch and press the "+"
sign to expand the branch. There should be a sub-branch that is
identified as an "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100...", or something
similar to that.

To uninstall the driver, double-click on that sub-branch, select the
"Driver" tab along the top. On that page select "Uninstall" and follow
the prompts.

Install the new software/drivers as provided from the Dell site (file
R64838.exe)

There are two ways to do this -
1) You can go to the Dell web site and go through the support pages.
You will be asked a series of questions to identify your particular
machine and that will lead you to a page that gives you the option of
downloading all the latest files and drivers for your particular
machine. The following link will lead you to a Dell site where they
ask you to identify your machine, and from there it should identify the
specific driver updates for your machine: http://tinyurl.com/6qwma

2) You can go straight to this web link and download the file from
there**: http://tinyurl.com/6nrvk
**The only problem with going straight to the above link is that YOU
need to ensure that the wireless network card is in fact a 2100. Dell
produces many units with alternate wireless cards, so if yours is NOT
the 2100, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE!!!

I followed Brett's second instruction because my wireless network card
was indeed the 2100.

When I restarted the machine, the wireless connection was no longer
connected. So I had to put in my wireless security password provided by
Dell.
Make sure you have it or else you will have to call Dell for it.

Once I entered the password, and connected to the internet, I then
installed the link above and when I shut down the End Program Sample
was gone. PHEW!

Also, my printer now works and I was also able to double click and get
into Turbo Tax program.

Thanks Brett...you are such a lifesaver!!!! It was such a nuisance and
I couldn't believe I tolerated it for over 2 months. You have no idea
how this has saved me from so much aggravation of having to call Dell
and be put on hold for such an undeterminable amount of time.

Voon

--
mahvelous