Update for Root Certificates for Windows XP recalled on 3/25/2014?

Ant

Mar 25, 2014, 1:44:40 PM3/25/14
Hello.

I just checked my two/2 XP SP3 machines' Windows Updates and noticed
"Update for Root Certificates for Windows XP [November 2013]
(KB931125)".

According to both machines' histories, I got "Update for Root
Certificates for Windows XP [March 2014] (KB931125)" on 3/11/2014.

What's going on? Did MS recalled March 2014's root certificates? :/

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "Although you're a little ant, I won't bully you."
--Sai Yuk from The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk movie (English subtitles)

JJ

Mar 26, 2014, 4:07:06 PM3/26/14
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 12:44:40 -0500, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just checked my two/2 XP SP3 machines' Windows Updates and noticed
> "Update for Root Certificates for Windows XP [November 2013]
> (KB931125)".
>
> According to both machines' histories, I got "Update for Root
> Certificates for Windows XP [March 2014] (KB931125)" on 3/11/2014.
>
> What's going on? Did MS recalled March 2014's root certificates? :/
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

The Windows XP auto update use below URL to get the update (long text
warning).

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe

That rootsupd.exe file's original timestamp (build date) is 2014-02-13.
The previous one (November 2013) is 2013-10-04.

So, I think they goofed. It seems like their hotfix database hasn't been
updated for that specific update, or a glitch happened. Currently, it also
affect the web page on:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41084

If you're unsure or just want to make sure you get the latest Root Update,
download and run the and rootsupd.exe.

Also make sure you have KB2917500 update too. It's an older Root Certificate
Revocation.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41542

Both this (rvkroots.exe) and the rootsupd.exe contains the revocation list,
but they're not identical.

Ant

Mar 27, 2014, 10:56:03 AM3/27/14
On 3/26/2014 1:07 PM PT, JJ typed:

>> I just checked my two/2 XP SP3 machines' Windows Updates and noticed
>> "Update for Root Certificates for Windows XP [November 2013]
>> (KB931125)".
>>
>> According to both machines' histories, I got "Update for Root
>> Certificates for Windows XP [March 2014] (KB931125)" on 3/11/2014.
>>
>> What's going on? Did MS recalled March 2014's root certificates? :/
>
> The Windows XP auto update use below URL to get the update (long text
> warning).
>
> http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/rootsupd.exe
>
> That rootsupd.exe file's original timestamp (build date) is 2014-02-13.
> The previous one (November 2013) is 2013-10-04.
>
> So, I think they goofed. It seems like their hotfix database hasn't been
> updated for that specific update, or a glitch happened. Currently, it also
> affect the web page on:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41084
>
> If you're unsure or just want to make sure you get the latest Root Update,
> download and run the and rootsupd.exe.
>
> Also make sure you have KB2917500 update too. It's an older Root Certificate
> Revocation.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41542
>
> Both this (rvkroots.exe) and the rootsupd.exe contains the revocation list,
> but they're not identical.

Interesting and thanks. Maybe I will wait to see what MS say. I even
posted this in MS' forums, but got no answers yet.
--
"This is the ant. Treat it with respect. For it may very well be the
next dominant lifeform of our planet." --Empire of the Ants movie