error message, cannot find file:///': Make sure path or Internet address is correct.

wjpkbp

Jul 23, 2009, 2:23:04 AM7/23/09

Help!!! We are receiving this error message every time windows opens, or
the computer starts up. It is usually followed by a another message that
the system has recovered from a serious error and needs to shut down.
The computer is freezing up, shutting down and starting back up (on it's
on), while we're in the middle of something. Or it will do this before we
ever get the program opened. This has been going on for about a month and a
half now. We are at our wits end.

We installed IE8 two days ago and, run Windows XP Home edition.

Please, does anyone have an answer?

Thanks!!

Jim

Jul 23, 2009, 7:42:02 AM7/23/09

Do a search for the file ///`: and delete it .

Malke

Jul 23, 2009, 7:39:19 AM7/23/09
wjpkbp wrote:

Could be hardware or software. There is no way to tell from your post. The
sensible thing to do would be to take the machine to a competent local
computer tech, not a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

If you want to try and troubleshoot this yourself, start with:

Be sure the computer is clean:

If the computer is clean, test the hardware:
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Hardware_Tshoot

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Jose

Jul 23, 2009, 8:30:03 AM7/23/09

This is not a new issue, but to fix it properly you should first
reduce the possibility of a malware infection.

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Is that the entire message or just part of it?

Did this only start happening after you installed IE8?

You said "every time windows opens, or the computer starts up" - do
you mean when you try to use Internet Explorer (IE) or both/neither?

If you still have the problem after the scans, then proper diagnosis
can begin.

wjpkbp

Jul 23, 2009, 3:45:43 PM7/23/09
We tried searching for the file and, came up with nothing. Thanks anyway!

"Jim" <bojim...@aol.com> wrote in message

wjpkbp

Jul 23, 2009, 4:06:35 PM7/23/09
Yes that is the entire message. The message, cannot find file: ///'. Make
sure path or Internet address is correct. appears in a small rectangular
window. No, we just upgraded to IE8 three days ago. This has been
happening for over a month. The message appears when we move the mouse to
wake the computer up after it has been idle, or when we sign in to open
windows. Our computer is password protected, so if we have shut it down we
must sign in. It sends the file message before we get into windows, or the
internet.

"Jose" <jose...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Jose

Jul 23, 2009, 6:51:14 PM7/23/09
On Jul 23, 4:06 pm, "wjpkbp" <wj...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Yes that is the entire message.  The message, cannot find file: ///'.  Make
> sure path or Internet address is correct.  appears in a small rectangular
> window.   No, we just upgraded to IE8 three days ago.  This has been
> happening for over a month.  The message appears when we move the mouse to
> wake the computer up after it has been idle, or when we sign in to open
> windows. Our computer is password protected, so if we have shut it down we
> must sign in.  It sends the file message before we get into windows, or the
> internet.
>
> "Jose" <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Okay - you ran the two malware scans, right?

I am not an IE person so I may not get this right the first time...

Open IE and click Tools, Internet Options and verify the home page
settings make sense. Even if it does look okay, change it, restart
IE, test, etc.

Is your Internet Service Provider (ISP) Comcast?

Do you have any Comcast software installed? Universal Installer,
Desktop Doctor, etc...

Kelly

Jul 23, 2009, 6:55:21 PM7/23/09
Workaround listed here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/searchserverinstallconfigandadminstration/thread/9fc8a2c0-9c4b-41cc-9e78-c17676c1fda1

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"wjpkbp" <wj...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Jim

Jul 24, 2009, 7:40:11 AM7/24/09

Have you tried regedit ; it might be in the registry .

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:45:43 -0500, "wjpkbp" <wj...@comcast.net>

wjpkbp

Jul 24, 2009, 9:29:02 PM7/24/09
Followed someone's directions from MS forums to do regedit and, computer
shut down before I could finish. Gave me "System has recovered from a
serious error and needs to shut down". Details were, app exp exe appv 6.0
mod natne shell 32.dll modver 6.0.29005622 offset 00031a10 . I have no
idea what any of that means! I read some of the reporting details and
it appeared to deal with Explorer version 6. (??) Don't you just love
computer illiterate people? Sorry, and thanks!

"Jim" <bojim...@aol.com> wrote in message

Elmo

Jul 25, 2009, 7:38:22 AM7/25/09

wjpkbp wrote:
> Followed someone's directions from MS forums to do regedit and, computer
> shut down before I could finish. Gave me "System has recovered from a
> serious error and needs to shut down". Details were, app exp exe appv 6.0
> mod natne shell32.dll modver 6.0.29005622 offset 00031a10 . I have no
> idea what any of that means! I read some of the reporting details and
> it appeared to deal with Explorer version 6. (??) Don't you just love
> computer illiterate people? Sorry, and thanks!

Try regedit again. This time, just press the Home key, then F3. Type
///` into the search pane and press "Enter". Press F3 to continue the
search. If there's a "hit", please post the details.

Also search for malware; install and run these:

Malwarebytes© Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

The hd could be failing.. run Chkdsk and see if there are errors: open
My Computer, right-click the drive, click Properties, Tools, "Check Now
...".

> "Jim" <bojim...@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Have you tried regedit ; it might be in the registry .
>>

>> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:45:43 -0500, "wjpkbp" <wj...@comcast.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We tried searching for the file and, came up with nothing. Thanks anyway!
>>>

>>> "Jim" <bojim...@aol.com> wrote in message

--
Joe =o)

wjpkbp

Jul 25, 2009, 9:39:33 AM7/25/09

I reset the home page and, restarted the computer. I have installed both
malware and, superantispyware. Problem is computer shuts down before
malware or spyware can finish a complete scan. The Quick Scan worked for
both, but didn't fix the problem. Tried a complete scan, and neither will
finish before the computer shuts itsself down. Should I be scanning in Safe
mode?

thanks!

"Jose" <jose...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

wjpkbp

Jul 25, 2009, 9:54:43 AM7/25/09
I forgot to mention our ISP is Comcast. We no longer have the Comcast
computer protection installed. We do have the Comcast Universal Installer
v1.2, and Comcast User Setup., Also Norton 360 was put on the computer
about a week ago.

Thanks again!!

Richard

Aug 21, 2009, 2:14:17 AM8/21/09
Re: error message, cannot find 'file:///': Make sure path or Internet
address is correct.

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:23:04 -0500, "wjpkbp" <wjp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Jim" <bojim...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Do a search for the file ///`: and delete it .

Hi Jim,

In the above case there is no path or file name to search for. The triple
slashes (///) are part of the protocol for accessing local drive files
through the Address Bar or clickable links. Ordinarily, file paths use
backward slashes, like this:
C:\Windows\Notepad.exe
The modified protocol renders that same path and file as:
file:///C:/Windows/Notepad.exe
With forward slashes. (CLICK it now to take NOTES! :)

Open Windows Explorer (hold WindowsLogo key and press E,) and if you don't
have an address bar at the top, right click on the menu bar, and click
Address Bar, then enter a Bogus file path/folder in the Address Bar and
press Enter:
C:\Bogus
You then get this message:
Cannot find 'file:///C:/Bogus'. Make sure the path or Internet address is
correct.

The problem the OP (Original Poster) is/was experiencing involves an attempt
by some program or process to access an empty path/filename string, possibly
because something got deleted or changed somewhere. Note that the date of
the OP's first message is 23July2009, and note the statement that the
problem had been "going on for about a month and a half". That takes us back
to a day or two after the June 9th (2nd tuesday of the month) Windows Update
as a for sure time when things on the computer would have changed, that
required a restart. One of those updates was Cumulative Security Update for
Internet Explorer (KB969897). (Probably using IE7 then, since they didn't
install IE8 until about 21July2009.) If Internet Explorer was active when
that IE update was installed, there could have been complications,
especially if 3rd party toolbars, (Google or Yahoo,) were in use. Without
further information, we can only speculate at this late date.

FWIW. --Richard

Jim

Aug 21, 2009, 9:18:28 AM8/21/09
On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 02:14:17 -0400, "Richard" <ric...@avbtab.org>