Unlimited pinterest browsing without registration

Roy Tremblay

Oct 28, 2017, 2:20:17 PM10/28/17
You search Google for images and you get Pinterest hits and you can only
hit "Continue" or "Login" where they both exasperatingly do the _same_
thing which is not let you see the pictures.

You have two choices, which is to run the search without Pinterest:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tulips+-pinterest.com

Or run the search with Pinterest and get rid of the login permanently!
https://www.google.com/search?q=tulips+-site+pinterest.com

0. Make sure you can kill & restart Firefox so don't have anything running.
1. Choose your browser, e.g., Firefox 56.0 or Chrome
(I arbitrarily used Firefox 56.0 for my first test documented here.)
2. Download & install a script engine, i.e., Greasemonkey or Scriptish
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/scriptish/
(I arbitrarily used Greasemonkey for my first test documented here.)
3. Download and load the desired script to block Pinterest login:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/6325-pinterest-without-registration
Firefox: File > Open File > Pinterest without registration.user.js
4. See if the stuff is there in Firefox
Firefox: Tools > Add ons > Extensions > Greasemonkey
Firefox: Tools > Add ons > User Scripts > Pinterest without registration
5. Visit Pinterest without having to log in:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=-site+pinterest.com+tulips

In my test documented above, the need for registration was eliminated.

Andy Burns

Oct 28, 2017, 2:49:49 PM10/28/17
Roy Tremblay wrote:

> 0. Make sure you can kill & restart Firefox so don't have anything running.
> 1. Choose your browser, e.g., Firefox 56.0 or Chrome
> (I arbitrarily used Firefox 56.0 for my first test documented here.)
> 2. Download & install a script engine, i.e., Greasemonkey or Scriptish
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/scriptish/
> (I arbitrarily used Greasemonkey for my first test documented here.)
> 3. Download and load the desired script to block Pinterest login:
> https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/6325-pinterest-without-registration
> Firefox: File > Open File > Pinterest without registration.user.js
> 4. See if the stuff is there in Firefox
> Firefox: Tools > Add ons > Extensions > Greasemonkey
> Firefox: Tools > Add ons > User Scripts > Pinterest without registration
> 5. Visit Pinterest without having to log in:
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=-site+pinterest.com+tulips

Alternatively add this one-liner to your uBlock/AdBlock filters

www.pinterest.com##.FullPageModal__scroller

Roy Tremblay

Oct 28, 2017, 10:55:42 PM10/28/17
Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> actually wrote:

> Alternatively add this one-liner to your uBlock/AdBlock filters
> www.pinterest.com##.FullPageModal__scroller

I tried to test your helpful suggestion, but it failed every time.
http://www.ublockadblockplus.com

I could not find the *download* button, using Firefox 56.0 on Win10.
https://s1.postimg.org/4zvpxeogun/1_install_adblock.jpg

Where on earth is the *download* uBlockAdBlock button for Firefox?
Or did I go to the wrong web site?

Roy Tremblay

Oct 28, 2017, 11:10:49 PM10/28/17
Roy Tremblay <rmbla...@nlnet.nl> actually wrote:

> You search Google for images and you get Pinterest hits and you can only
> hit "Continue" or "Login" where they both exasperatingly do the _same_
> thing which is not let you see the pictures.

From the Mozilla newsgroup, I found a *much simpler* solution, that works
now with Firerfox 56.0 and apparently it will also work in the future with
Firefox 57, where apparently all the addons are changing anyway.

I tried http://www.ublockadblockplus.com but I could not for the life of me
even find the *download* button, using Firefox 56.0 on Win10.
https://s1.postimg.org/4zvpxeogun/1_install_adblock.jpg

The Mozilla ng suggested we search over here for *new* style addons:
https://mozilla.github.io/extension-finder/

Searching for "Pinterest without registration.user.js", I get this URL:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=Pinterest%20without%20registration.user.js

Which has this one workaround:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/surf-without-login-4-pinterest/

Which downloads a "surf_without_login_for_pinterest-1.0.0-fx+an.xpi" file.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/surf-without-login-4-pinterest/addon-714306-latest.xpi

Which I then load into Firefox 56.0 using:
File > Open File > surf_without_login_for_pinterest-1.0.0-fx+an.xpi > Add

It seems to work, and it's *simpler* than my previous (legacy) solution.
So, I think it's a win:win for all because it's a single step.

VanguardLH

Oct 29, 2017, 12:42:42 AM10/29/17
I *added* "pinterest" in a Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tulips%20pinterest

The 1st hit went to:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/tulip/

Got several large thumbnail pics. Clicked on the top left one (single
purplish open bulb) that was a link to:

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/05/d9/cd/05d9cdb4a4be873427b638610ca68292--purple-tulips-art-gallery.jpg

When I got to that page, I got the constantly spinning 4-dot circle. I
had to permit off-domain scripts from pinterest's content domain
(pinimg.com). I then got the web page showing the full-size photo.
Clicking on the image opens a pinterest photo page. If I click on that
new image page, I'm taken in a new tab to the source page at deviantart.
If instead I copy the above URL in a new blank tab then I get a blank
page with just the image; i.e., the scripts don't run and I just get the
photo of the tulip.

I revisited https://www.pinterest.com/explore/tulip/ several times.
Only once did I get their login dialog after clicking on a couple dozen
of different tulip photos on that page. When I hit the login dialog the
first time, I simply unloaded that tab and clicked on the search result
again. Thereafter I did not get a login prompt. I actually wanted to
get a login prompt to see if hitting Esc would make the login dialog
disappear or using some other method that left that tab open on that web
page. Instead of revisiting the same page to retest, I kept clicking on
"More like this" photos on the right side of the page. After a couple
dozen tries, I could not get the login dialog to reappear.

So I copied the URL from the Google search and exited the web browser,
used CCleaner to flush any locally cached data (in case the option in
Firefox to purge all local data on its exit had failed to be complete),
1st hit, got to Pinterest's same page (and had to allow the off-domain
pinimg.com scripts), and still no login prompt. After clicking on
several photos, eventually I got the login prompt.

At the bottom of that prompt dialog is "Not now". So I clicked that.
After a dozen more clicks on different photos, the login prompt never
reappeared. So it looks like they shove the login prompt once per
session but you have a very easy way to get rid of it: just click on the
"Not now" link at the bottom of their dialog.

Every web session has an ID associated with it. You could open in
incognito/private mode to get a different session ID in each window. If
you unload and reload the web browser to revisit a page, you get a new
session ID. So this is probably how they determine if you've already
been presented with their login prompt (which is really easy to bypass
and seems to stick per web session). If you're doing a search on tulips
and repeatedly visiting several hits in the results, you're leaving the
web browser loaded so other hits that go to Pinterest won't show the
login prompt - until you revisit in a new session of the web browser.

Andy Burns

Oct 29, 2017, 6:05:52 AM10/29/17
Roy Tremblay wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> add this one-liner to your uBlock/AdBlock filters
>> www.pinterest.com##.FullPageModal__scroller
>
> I tried to test your helpful suggestion, but it failed every time.

All I can say is it works 100% for me with SRware Iron + uBlock origin.

> http://www.ublockadblockplus.com
Is that a legit source for uBlock or ABP, or just someone cashing in on
the name(s)?

Andy Burns

Oct 29, 2017, 6:54:26 AM10/29/17
Roy Tremblay wrote:

> I tried to test your helpful suggestion, but it failed every time.

I do apologise, I had a second filter but it wasn't near the first one
and I'd forgotten it was there (the first one doesn't seem to do
anything for the current pinterest site, it probably did on an older
version of their site).

The filter below is the one that actually hides the login ...

www.pinterest.com##div[data-test-giftwrap~="true"]

Roy Tremblay

Oct 29, 2017, 7:15:22 AM10/29/17
VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> actually wrote:

> Got several large thumbnail pics. Clicked on the top left one (single
> purplish open bulb) that was a link to:

I failed to mention that they *tease* you at Pinterest by allowing the top
few pictures, but if you scroll down, then they *block* the rest of the
pictures from being viewed.

Andy Burns

Oct 29, 2017, 8:34:15 AM10/29/17
Roy Tremblay wrote:

> it will also work in the future with Firefox 57, > where apparently all the addons are changing anyway.
The major XUL add-ons have already been (or will be) 'ported' to
webextensions but the vast majority of handy little 'itch-scratching'
add-ons that no longer work will never be replaced.

<https://arewewebextensionsyet.com>

BurfordTJustice

Oct 29, 2017, 9:10:23 AM10/29/17
rmbla...@nlnet.nl

who cares?

Just make a dummy account with any ole email address
you can find...

easy peasy

"Roy Tremblay" <rmbla...@nlnet.nl> wrote in message
: You search Google for images and you get Pinterest hits and you can only

Roy Tremblay

Oct 29, 2017, 1:49:06 PM10/29/17
Thanks.

Just my luck that I hit upon (and documented) that first solution, but then
I find out belatedly that it only works for the next month!

Luckily your solution or the second solution I proposed are both a single
step, and both will work for both Firefox 56.0 and for Firefox Quantum 57.0
and up when it's released next month.

So it's all good.

Roy Tremblay

Oct 29, 2017, 2:03:18 PM10/29/17
BurfordTJustice <burford/asso...@uk.MI15> actually wrote:

> who cares?

Well, enough people care that *someone* has created the extension to
eradicate the need for a login just to view a few pictures on the bottom
section of a Pinterest page.

> Just make a dummy account with any ole email address
> you can find...

Since I'm on VPN 100% of the time, creating a dummy email address is easy
but *keeping* it is getting harder and harder and harder because sites like
Google *hate* you when you log in from Kansas and then from Paris and then
from Moscow and then from Beijing, just minutes apart.

Try it before you ask me how I know...

> easy peasy

It's trivially easy to *create* an email account on the reputable mail
servers; but just try *keeping* that account open when your VPN changes
ever few minutes by an automated means as mine does.

Before you say "easy peasy" again, I'd just like you to try it for a week
or three. It *can* be done, mind you - and I do do it. But it took a lot of
accounts before I perfected the technique.

Suffice to say it's *far* easier to just load an extension into the web
browser, and since I only use any one browser for any one web site, I only
have to load the extension into Firefox (which I don't use for anything
else).

Easy peasy. :)

Roy Tremblay

Oct 29, 2017, 2:09:39 PM10/29/17
Roy Tremblay <rmbla...@nlnet.nl> actually wrote:

> It's trivially easy to *create* an email account on the reputable mail
> servers; but just try *keeping* that account open when your VPN changes
> ever few minutes by an automated means as mine does.
>
> Before you say "easy peasy" again, I'd just like you to try it for a week
> or three. It *can* be done, mind you - and I do do it. But it took a lot of
> accounts before I perfected the technique.
>
> Suffice to say it's *far* easier to just load an extension into the web
> browser

I should also mention that I perform all the privacy things anyone would
expect someone to do, which is that I only use any one browser for one web
site only, and that I wipe out everything the browser saved after each use,
and that I *never* give any web site any correct information (such as a
correct phone number or a correct birth date or a correct recovery email
address, etc.) ... in addition to being on a constantly changing VPN at all
times.

Again, I have perfected the technique of getting a reputable (e.g., Google)
email account using all those methods - but - I must say - and you might
just have to take it from me that I have a *lot* of experience in such
privacy things - such that it's a hellova lot easier to just load an xpi
extension into Firefox than to do what you suggested.

Notice that if it were a *plugin*, I wouldn't do it - but an extension does
not (AFAIK) hurt your privacy where the extention is downloaded on a VPN
that is never re-used and its actions checked by Wireshark and a firewall.

Andy Burns

Oct 29, 2017, 2:19:43 PM10/29/17
Roy Tremblay wrote:

> will work for both Firefox 56.0 and for Firefox Quantum 57.0
> and up when it's released next month.
I'm having a bit of a rest from Firefox, the drip-drip of unwanted
changes over the years has pushed me away for now. I'll give it another
chance with FF59 next March when quantum has *properly* landed and they
finally kill all the old stuff with the next ESR59, see what remains ...

Roy Tremblay

Oct 29, 2017, 2:46:55 PM10/29/17
Interestingly, I used to love Netscape and then, over time, dropped it, and
I used to love Firefox, and then, like you, over time, dropped it.

I was just too tired of having to scour about:config for new phonehomes,
and having to implement the huge ghacks stuff and the concomitant user.js
incessant changes, and having to screw with the advertisements galore in
the tabs, etc.

Luckily, I install *every* browser there is, so I can afford the luxury of
using each browser for just a single task.

So I have relegated Firefox as my "pinterest-only" brower, and even at
that, it won't get used more than a couple times a month.

Luckily, there are *lots* of (web) browsers out there...

Thanks again for your helpful advice!

BurfordTJustice

Oct 29, 2017, 4:51:57 PM10/29/17
rmbla...@nlnet.nl

You must be a very bad person and afraid of your shadow
to keep doing all that over a few pictures,

have you just rturned from ISIL land??

"Roy Tremblay" <rmbla...@nlnet.nl> wrote in message

Roy Tremblay

Oct 29, 2017, 5:42:37 PM10/29/17
BurfordTJustice <burford/asso...@uk.MI15> actually wrote:

> You must be a very bad person and afraid of your shadow
> to keep doing all that over a few pictures,
>
> have you just rturned from ISIL land??

No, but I guess I'm a very bad person because I know *history* very well,
and in fact, I have a degree in history with a minor in polisci.

Hence, I *fear* government & big business excesses far more than you might.

I probably would feel a lot safer had I majored in economics instead. :)

VanguardLH

Oct 30, 2017, 3:18:41 AM10/30/17
Didn't happen to me.

Firefox 56.0.1 x64
Windows 7 Home Edition x64 SP-1

What I dislike about their site is they use "endless pages". These are
scripted page that trigger on reaching the end of the current page so
their script then plasters a bunch more images onto that page. You
scroll, you hit the end of the current page, they append more images,
and the process repeats. I think some boob fascinated with mobile
devices thinks this is a cutsy method of automatically more content to a
page so mobile users don't have to bother tapping a button for the next
page. The boobs don't realize the cache for the page is eventually
going to get so huge that the web browser will slow to a crawl.

Another "feature" of their scripted page (after clicking on an image to
get a slew of related photos) is there is no scroll bar. You cannot use
the scroll bar to move quickly around the page because there isn't one.
You can't even hit Ctrl+Home to quickly get back to the top of the page.

Yeah, if you find that type of site of interest for the content you are
looking for then go ahead. To me, the site is reminiscent of those
hoarder shows where the homeowner collects every bit of trash and the
home becomes unusable.