how do I find my ip address?

puppytina

Jan 8, 2005, 1:23:01 PM1/8/05
looking for my ip address in xp. anyone?
--
puppytina

Will Denny

Jan 8, 2005, 1:27:30 PM1/8/05
Hi

From a command prompt type:

ipconfig /all

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"puppytina" <pupp...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shenan Stanley

Jan 8, 2005, 1:31:26 PM1/8/05
puppytina wrote:
> looking for my ip address in xp. anyone?

Many ways..

Open a command prompt and type:
ipconfig

Or open Internet Explorer and visit :
http://www.whatismyip.com/

Many other ways, but I will let you go to:
http://www.google.com/

and search for:
how to find my IP address in Windows XP

--
<- Shenan ->

Alias

Jan 8, 2005, 1:40:20 PM1/8/05

"puppytina" <pupp...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

: looking for my ip address in xp. anyone?
: --
: puppytina

IP Address Country (Short) Country (Full) Flag Region City ISP
Map 24.168.199.213

UNITED STATES VIRGINIA
HERN DON
ROAD RUNNER

You can find your IP by hitting Ctrl+F3 on the message you posted that I am
replying to. You can look up IPs at http://www.ip-to-location.com/free.asp

HTH
--
Alias

Steve Shattuck

Jan 8, 2005, 3:18:51 PM1/8/05
> looking for my ip address in xp. anyone?

Not enough info to answer your question definitively. Assuming that you
mean your Internet IP AND YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION IS THROUGH YOUR PC AND
NOT A NETWORK, then the advice you've also been given about typing IPCONFIG
/ALL at a command prompt works. If you access the Internet through a
LAN/router, then you will need to access your router to obtain your Internet
IP address.

--
.__
(__

Steve N.

Jan 8, 2005, 7:03:26 PM1/8/05
Steve Shattuck wrote:

>>looking for my ip address in xp. anyone?
>

> Not enough info to answer your question definitively. Assuming that you
> mean your Internet IP AND YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION IS THROUGH YOUR PC AND
> NOT A NETWORK, then the advice you've also been given about typing IPCONFIG
> /ALL at a command prompt works. If you access the Internet through a
> LAN/router, then you will need to access your router to obtain your Internet
> IP address.

IPCONFIG returns the workstation IP address if connected through LAN and
routers. We use it all the time at work. Perhaps you are referring to
some odd configuration but I've never seen it not reutrn an IP unless
the NIC is not functioning, whether on a home or business network.

Steve

Alan

Jan 8, 2005, 7:27:16 PM1/8/05
Not all news servers list the sending IP. If you press CTRL F3 on this
message from me, you won't find any reference to my IP.

Alan

"Alias" <a...@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

Alias

Jan 8, 2005, 7:38:48 PM1/8/05
It worked on the OP's message and the OP was asking about his or hers, not
yours.
--
Alias

"Alan" <some...@nospam.pew> wrote

: Not all news servers list the sending IP. If you press CTRL F3 on this

: >
: >
:
:

Alan

Jan 8, 2005, 7:42:14 PM1/8/05
This is true, Steve.

I'm using a wireless connection, and if I use the IPCONFIG command, all that
I am given is the
IP of the router: 192.168.0.?.

When I do an ARIN /whois on that IP, I am told: "BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG.
This block is reserved for special purposes. Please see RFC 1918 for
additional information."

The link that Shenan Stanley gave earlier: http://www.whatismyip.com/
works nicely. At least, when I do a /whois on the IP that is given, it does
show the correct ISP I am using. :>

Alan

"Steve Shattuck" <st...@shattuck.net> wrote in message

Alan

Jan 8, 2005, 8:00:50 PM1/8/05
True enough.

But...have you considered that she -- I'm going to go with a she, as the
nick is "puppytina." I don't know too many male "Tina's" -- was asking the
question in a more general sense, not right now at her computer, at this
moment in time?

Alan

"Alias" <a...@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

Alias

Jan 8, 2005, 8:24:10 PM1/8/05

"Alan" <some...@nospam.pew> wrote
: True enough.

:
: But...have you considered that she -- I'm going to go with a she, as the
: nick is "puppytina." I don't know too many male "Tina's" -- was asking the
: question in a more general sense, not right now at her computer, at this
: moment in time?
:
: Alan

You're right. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. Maybe she is a he or
he is a she. Nowadays, it's hard to tell.
--
Alias

:
: "Alias" <a...@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote

: > It worked on the OP's message and the OP was asking about his or hers,

: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

Steve N.

Jan 8, 2005, 8:30:07 PM1/8/05
Alan wrote:

> This is true, Steve.
>
> I'm using a wireless connection, and if I use the IPCONFIG command, all that
> I am given is the
> IP of the router: 192.168.0.?.
>
> When I do an ARIN /whois on that IP, I am told: "BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG.
> This block is reserved for special purposes. Please see RFC 1918 for
> additional information."
>
> The link that Shenan Stanley gave earlier: http://www.whatismyip.com/
> works nicely. At least, when I do a /whois on the IP that is given, it does
> show the correct ISP I am using. :>
>
> Alan

Thanks Alan. I am not familiar with wireless situations (yet).

Steve

NobodyMan

Jan 8, 2005, 10:27:18 PM1/8/05

No. Most home users connecting through a broadband router don't see
their public IP using IPCONFIG. What they see is their workstation IP
on the LAN side of the router. This usually is in the 192.168.0.1 to
192.168.1.255 range, as these addresses are non-routable and not
Internet addresses. IPCONFIG won't return the public IP address. The
only way to see the actual ISP assigned address in this case is to
logon to the router and check it's configuration.

Alex Nichol

Jan 9, 2005, 7:43:34 AM1/9/05
puppytina wrote:

>looking for my ip address in xp. anyone?

D click the connection icon in the taskbar; see the Support tab

Bournemouth, U.K. Al...@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Alias

Jan 9, 2005, 7:47:38 AM1/9/05
Won't work if behind a router. I just tried it and it only shows the
router's IP and the DNS servers.
--
Alias

"Alex Nichol" <alexn....@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote

R. McCarty

Jan 9, 2005, 7:51:55 AM1/9/05
Just use you browser and go to http://whatismyip.com

"Alias" <a...@maskedandanonymous.com> wrote in message

Steve N.

Jan 9, 2005, 9:39:14 AM1/9/05
NobodyMan wrote:

I understand that. I was not thinking of home broadband access. Sorry.

Steve

akii

Mar 23, 2013, 9:38:42 AM3/23/13
puppytina wrote on 01/08/2005 13:23 ET :
> looking for my ip address in xp. anyone?
> puppytina

To get a system IP address follow the following steps:
Go to start.
Select the run command.
Type as cmd. Command prompt will get opened.
Then type as ipconfig or ipconfig/all in that. It will displays your system's
IP
address.
To know the network IP address visit the site http://www.ip-details.com/ .

(PeteCresswell)

Mar 23, 2013, 10:28:18 AM3/23/13
Per akii:

> address.
> To know the network IP address visit the site http://www.ip-details.com/ .

www.ipchicken.com gives the IP address - and does not cause WOT to throw
warnings.
--
Pete Cresswell

Paul in Houston TX

Mar 23, 2013, 11:31:08 AM3/23/13
> To know the network IP address visit the site http://www.ip-tails.com/ .

Eight years later... Finally! A solution!
400 miles from me but at least they got the state right.

David H. Lipman

Mar 23, 2013, 1:02:54 PM3/23/13
From: "Paul in Houston TX" <Pa...@Houston.com>
I was thinking the same but didn't write that reply ;-)

They had me in Virginia which isn't the correct state. I have visited porn
sites that do better in GeoIP - LOL

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp