Display adapter not showing up in Device Manager

1 view

Paul Lutton

Oct 14, 2003, 10:21:24 AM10/14/03
I had installed a new video card several months ago and it was working
fine.
In order to solve another problem, I wound up re-installing XP. After
the
reinstall, the video card no longer worked correctly. I have video,
but certain programs that need the new card don't work. So I went to
Device Manager to look at the card and there was no entry at all for
"Disply Adapters". I pulled the card and reinstalled the old card, but
upon booting up I got a "video out of range" message, and the screen
was black. Reinstalled old card, rebooted. I have video again, but
same problem.

How can I get "display adapters" to show up in Device Manager?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Yves Leclerc

Oct 14, 2003, 11:09:17 AM10/14/03
I got this very same problem. I "lost" my display adapter from Device
Manager. It wound up as a non Plug and play device and was using a dumb
standard VGA device. With trying to install the video drivers, they would
install correctly but never find any display adapters. I was then "force"
to do a "recovery re-install of XP" over top my XP. This recovery install
fixed my problem.

Y.

"Paul Lutton" <lutt...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

EGR

Oct 14, 2003, 11:57:40 AM10/14/03
The most likely explanation is that the motherboard drivers need updating
(specifically the CPU to AGP controller)
If it's an AGP adaptor, it won't show up unless the AGP driver (which is not
part of the video driver) is working.
Try going to your motherboard manufacturer's web site and updating the
mo'board drivers.

Paul Lutton

Oct 15, 2003, 2:08:08 PM10/15/03
Interesting...since it was apparently the re-install of XP that caused my
problem in the first place!

Paul Lutton

Oct 17, 2003, 9:37:58 AM10/17/03
"EGR" <E...@Calzone.com> wrote in message news:<1066147011.494614@athprx02>...

Thanks! Went to the SIS website and got the AGP adaptor drivers and installed
them and I was back in business.