Reinstall Fax service

Mint

Feb 15, 2011, 12:52:56 PM2/15/11
This error starting showing up after install SP3 for my XP Home
Edition.

Can someone help me get my fax going again ?

Reinstall Fax service using Repair mode. Win32 error code: 13. This
error code indicates the cause of the error.

MowGreen

Feb 15, 2011, 4:47:12 PM2/15/11

Is a version of McAfee installed ?
If the answer is no, then go here -

FAX Frequently Asked Questions
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm

See:
1. How do I install the Windows XP Fax Services?
and
2. Why can't the XP Fax Installation Program find the Installation Files?

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

Mint

Feb 15, 2011, 7:43:36 PM2/15/11
On Feb 15, 3:47 pm, MowGreen <mowgr...@nowandzen.com> wrote:
> Mint wrote:
> > This error starting showing up after install SP3 for my XP Home
> > Edition.
>
> > Can someone help me get my fax going again ?
>
> > Reinstall Fax service using Repair mode. Win32 error code: 13. This
> > error code indicates the cause of the error.
>
> Is a version of McAfee installed ?
> If the answer is no, then go here -
>
> FAX Frequently Asked Questionshttp://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm

> See:
> 1. How do I install the Windows XP Fax Services?
> and
> 2. Why can't the XP Fax Installation Program find the Installation Files?
>
> MowGreen
> ================
>   *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked

I think that Sp3 had support for faxing removed.

I can't even install the factory drivers for my modem and it worked
FINE when I had Sp2.

Andy

Paul

Feb 15, 2011, 9:26:53 PM2/15/11

We like a challenge here :-)

I keep my WinXP SP3 installer CD, on a separate partition on my WinXP machine.
That makes it easy to search for stuff.

I'd hoped, that all the Windows "components" would be separate cab files,
but it looks like the FAX installation is "loose files" in the i386 folder.
For example, start by copying this file to your hard drive.

FXSOCM.IN_

That is a compressed file. When extracted, it yields

fxsocm.inf

That is the key file for the FAX component. (You can open it in Notepad and
read it.) It has the installation details. These are the files listed in
that installation file.

[FaxFiles.System]
;;;0x0001000 means copy on reboot if file is busy
fxsapi.dll,,,0x00010000
fxscfgwz.dll,,,0x00010000
fxscom.dll,,,0x00010000
fxscomex.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsclntR.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsclnt.exe,,,0x00010000
fxscount.h,,,0x00010000
fxscover.exe,,,0x00010000
fxsdrv.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsevent.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsext32.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsmon.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsperf.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsperf.ini,,,0x00010000
fxsres.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsroute.dll,,,0x00010000
fxssend.exe,,,0x00010000
fxsst.dll,,,0x00010000
fxssvc.exe,,,0x00010000
fxst30.dll,,,0x00010000
fxstiff.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsui.dll,,,0x00010000
fxswzrd.dll,,,0x00010000
fxsxp32.dll,,,0x00010000

If you look in the WinXP CD i386 folder, and list it
alphabetically, you'll see FXSAPI.DL_, which is the
compressed version of fxsapi.dll . And so on.

I hope with a little work, you can convince yourself the files
for faxing, are all there. My CD is WinXP SP3 Pro, purchased as
an OEM install disk from NCIX when they were still available.

Paul

Mint

Feb 16, 2011, 1:19:03 AM2/16/11

Thanks Paul.

My Home Edition is on the hard disk with a restore on another
partition.
So, no factory disk.

I have 31 files on an XP Pro Disk SP3 that begin with fx that I have
copied and expanded.

I will see what happens, AFTER I have made a disk image first.

Andy

Mint

Feb 17, 2011, 7:46:48 PM2/17/11

Restoring the fax files did nothing.

Dear Microsoft and Bill Gates,

Why did your company break my fax modems with Service Pack 3 ?

Have I gone onto your property and broken some of your "stuff" ?

I found this.

Since the post, I went back and did a System Restore to before SP3 was
applied and my fax service works again. So apparently there is a
problem with SP3 and a working SP2 Windows Fax Service IMHO.

Another issue that occured during my troubles was; after opening the
Fax Console (and not getting any services, not being able to see any
previously sent faxes, etc., the system kept telling me that a Windows
Shared Fax Printer Driver needed to be installed - of course there
isn't a driver to install because it is already installed... nor do I
have a disk to install the "driver" from, there is no "Microsoft"
subheading to select a set of drivers from here nor can I find one on
the MS Windows Update or Technet site. When I was finally able to get
the Fax driver Properties window open, it said I was running the SP3
version.

If I have more time to waste (sarcasm), I will reinstall SP3 to get
more detail than provided here, but for now, I can say that on my
system SP3 broke my Fax Service.

MowGreen

Feb 18, 2011, 5:00:27 PM2/18/11
Mint wrote:
> Since the post, I went back and did a System Restore to before SP3 was
> applied and my fax service works again. So apparently there is a
> problem with SP3 and a working SP2 Windows Fax Service IMHO.

That did not occur here when SP3 was applied nor on any of my clients'
XP systems.
The problem is with your system, not SP3, as you mention later in your
post ...

> but for now, I can say that on my system SP3 broke my Fax Service.

Not quite sure why you chose to use System Restore instead of just
uninstalling the SP from Add/Remove Programs.

Did you do any hacking of XP SP2 so that the update servers saw the
system as XP SP3 in order to obtain Security updates automatically ?

If not, have you tried applying SP3 after first configuring XP to Clean
boot, then disconnecting all peripherals, and disconnecting from the
internet connection ?

Mint

Feb 18, 2011, 9:49:49 PM2/18/11

I have posted in several forums that have Microsoft employees that
answer questions.

None have replied which verifies that SP3 took away the native ability
of XP to send faxes..

There is nothing wrong with my system or any of the hardware in it.
I even tried a different brand of fax modem.

I will try using a live CD with another O.S. that can do faxing.

Andy

glee

Feb 19, 2011, 10:58:03 AM2/19/11
"MowGreen" <mowg...@nowandzen.com> wrote in message

> Mint wrote:
>> Since the post, I went back and did a System Restore to before SP3
>> was
>> applied and my fax service works again. So apparently there is a
>> problem with SP3 and a working SP2 Windows Fax Service IMHO.
>

> That did not occur here when SP3 was applied nor on any of my clients'
> XP systems.
> The problem is with your system, not SP3, as you mention later in your
> post ...
>
>> but for now, I can say that on my system SP3 broke my Fax Service.
>
> Not quite sure why you chose to use System Restore instead of just
> uninstalling the SP from Add/Remove Programs.
>

> Did you do any hacking of XP SP2 so that the update servers saw the
> system as XP SP3 in order to obtain Security updates automatically ?
>
> If not, have you tried applying SP3 after first configuring XP to
> Clean boot, then disconnecting all peripherals, and disconnecting from
> the internet connection ?

"Mint" (Andy) has a highly tweaked system, based on info he has supplied
piecemeal through his posts over the past months. He experiences issues
as a result. I don't know why he neglects to mention this in any of his
replies. Just one example of many....he uses a "modified" explorer.exe
called explorer2, as described in his December thread titled "Customized
explorer.exe not working"
--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Tester

Feb 19, 2011, 5:07:47 PM2/19/11

glee wrote:
> "Mint" (Andy) has a highly tweaked system, based on info he has supplied
> piecemeal through his posts over the past months. He experiences issues
> as a result. I don't know why he neglects to mention this in any of his
> replies. Just one example of many....he uses a "modified" explorer.exe
> called explorer2, as described in his December thread titled "Customized
> explorer.exe not working"

It is because fuckers like you keep telling him to fix his computer in a
piecemeal approach instead of telling him straight to reformat his
system and start everything all over again.

How's your daughter these days? Is she still working for that pimp in
Texas? How much is she charging for her complete service including
blow job and full intercourse?

Peter Foldes

Feb 20, 2011, 12:29:54 AM2/20/11
Tester

You sure know about computers and how they work. You are clueless and very dangerous
with your input.

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect