Cannot install USB printer, "The specified port is unknown"

andy9999

May 15, 2007, 8:21:00 AM5/15/07
I cannot install a HP Deskjet D2300-series printer. The installation process
tells me "The specified port is unknown." I try to install manually (select
a port), and the only port options are TCP/IP port and Local Port. Where is
the USB port???

The Device Manager shows that USB Printing Support is installed (looking at
the device manager via Devices by Connection shows the USB printing support
connected thru the USB root hub, which looks right to me).

On another computer that has a USB printer, when I look at the ports for
that printer, it says it's connected to a 'virtual' printer port (USB001).
On the computer with the problem, no such printer port exists.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the printer doesn't help. Unplugging and
plugging the USB cable back into the computer doesn't help. Each time, at
the end of the installation process, I get "The specified port is unknown"
and the install fails.

I should finally note that I was suggested (on another forum) to use the
cleanspl XP power tool to help fix a different printer problem I was having
on this computer. It seems it just made it worse.

Help!

smlunatick

May 15, 2007, 9:41:28 AM5/15/07
On May 15, 8:21 am, andy9999 <andy9...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

With most HP USB printers, you must first run the driver CD and then
when the set up requests it, connect the USB cable to the printer. Do
not connect the printer before installing the HP driver/software.

aqu...@gmail.com

May 16, 2007, 3:07:56 PM5/16/07
I am having the exact same issue with an HP Laserjet 1000 Series
printer. I have connected this printer to a Windows 2003 Server system
and it was printing fine. I had it shared and some other users on the
LAN were printing to it. Some of them started getting error messages
when they clicked on printer properties, so I decided that I'll just
clean up everything in the Printers and Faxes and start fresh. I used
the cleanspl.exe tool you get from "windows support tools". After I
used the tool I've been having the exact same problem as andy9999. I
dont have the USB0001 port that is usually available when adding a
printer manually and when the usb printer is attached to the system.
All the symptoms that andy9999 is describing is exactly what I am
getting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this
problem?

Thank you,
Aqueeb.

On May 15, 8:21 am, andy9999 <andy9...@discussions.microsoft.com>

corbetteer

Jul 7, 2007, 12:58:02 PM7/7/07

corbetteer

Jul 7, 2007, 1:08:01 PM7/7/07
I have been troubled by a similar problem after re-installing XP pro. I
struggled for many days before finally finding a solution to my particular
glitch.
All USB printer drivers would install but I kept getting the message "The
specified port is unknown".

My remedy was:
Run regedit. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Monitors. Look for
a USB Monitor entry. Before doing anything else, backup the registry entry by
right clicking on "Monitors" and selecting "Export". Give it a name and
locaction so that you can put it back if you have problems later. If "USB
Monitor" is not there, add it by right-clicking on Monitors, New, Key. Name
the new key "USB Monitor". Once added, right click on the new key and select
New, String Value. Name the new value "Driver". In the right portion of
regedit, right click on the new "Driver" value and select "Modify". Make the
value data "usbmon.dll". If there is an "HPUMON" entry (or the like), delete
it. Disconnect the USB cable to the printer. Run the "scrubber" or clean
utility (Cleanspl) (do not remove USB Monitor - If asked to), reboot the
machine. Reconnect the printer and install the driver software per
manufacturer instuction. This fixed my problem. Good luck and remember to
back up your registery beforehand or create a restore point!

Nobby

denveritguy

Apr 26, 2011, 1:59:40 PM4/26/11

Nobby: This worked perfectly for me. Now if only HP would heed this
sound solution, I would not have spent an hour and a half on teh phone
with them trying to get this resolved! Thanks a load...

pleasant

Jan 10, 2012, 1:20:58 PM1/10/12

Ok, figured out "run" - sorry I did not make the connection earlier..

Anywho, here is my error (had to fill in my computers name)

Clean Spooler:
Unable to enumerate the files in the directory "\\name of my
pc\C$\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS'
matching the filer '*.spl'. The network path was not found.
The specified directory cannot be validated.

pleasant

Jan 10, 2012, 1:02:15 PM1/10/12

what is "scrubber" and "Cleanspl"

Nobby, I am trying to get a brother or a hp printer installed in an
older Dell
pc that is on loaner to us. Some files were deleted by the previous
owner
and ever since, no one has been able to fully install a printer (not
using
any install cd's, just going to the websites and downloading what we
need
from them.)

Have gone through tons of errors, and now, our latest is
"the specified port is unknown"

I have done what you advised another to do, but I am stuck and confused
as to what "scrubber and Cleanspl" is.. I've done everything up to that
point.

If you are still out there - please help :)

~ Pleasant