How can I get rid of Brother brsplservice service?

Paul Jackson

Jul 21, 2004, 2:06:05 AM7/21/04
Hello,

I briefly installed software and drivers for a Brother printer and after
uninstalling noted that a service with the name of brsplservice
continues to load itself every time I start windows. I have deleted the
executable it points to andyet still every time windows boots the
service shows up in the list albeit not started.

I've tried deleting registry entries for LEGACY_BROTHER_XP_SPL_SERVICE
and the Brother registry folder under software but again each time I
restart windows they reappear.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this service permanently?

Thanks!

Paul

Kelly

Jul 21, 2004, 3:18:07 AM7/21/04
Hi Paul,

Where did you attempt to delete the Service from? Also, has all the enum
entries been cleared of this printer?

Checkpoint: To delete printer driver files in Windows XP:

Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
On the File menu, click Server Properties.
On the Drivers tab, click the printer driver that you want to delete, and
then click Remove.
~~~
This problem may occur if one of the following conditions is true:

The printer driver does not use Plug and Play for its installation.
The following registry key has become damaged:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM

Delete it.

Suggestions (ignore what has been tried):

To Delete a Service

In services take note of the "Service Name"(not display name). Then go to
Start/Run/CMD and type in: sc delete <service name>. Reboot.

Or, go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

Locate the Service in the list. Delete it... reboot.

Enum:

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"Paul Jackson" <jacks...@ayteeteedotnet.remove> wrote in message

Paul Jackson

Jul 27, 2004, 4:43:52 AM7/27/04
Hi Kelly,

I have tried everything suggested below with no success.

After every reboot the service is back again. This one will not die.

-Paul

Ô¿Ô Mws

Jul 27, 2004, 11:20:04 PM7/27/04
You have to disable the service, not delete it.
Mo

"Paul Jackson" <jacks...@att.net> wrote in message

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Jul 27, 2004, 11:30:32 PM7/27/04
Visit http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Download and install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools. The one in particular you're interested in is INSTSRV

Once the tools are installed, open a Command Prompt window and enter INSTSRV /? For the command line options for this tool. One of the parameters is Removing a service.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Paul Jackson

Jul 31, 2004, 6:22:19 AM7/31/04
Thanks for the info Doug,

I did exactly as you suggested: used the command "INSTSRV "Brother XP
Spl Service" REMOVE

It came back and indicated delete successful but again on reboot the
service re-appeared and I set it to Disabled.

i've already deleted the executable that the service runs if that
makes any difference.

Is there some sort of boot monitor that could find out what is
recreating the service entries?

Paul

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dk...@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<#iqY#MFdEH...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
> Visit
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9d467a69-57ff-
> 4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

> Download and install the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools. The
> one in particular you're interested in is INSTSRV
>
> Once the tools are installed, open a Command Prompt window and enter
> INSTSRV /? For the command line options for this tool. One of the
> parameters is Removing a service.
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------

> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp securityconsole.htm

> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

> go to

> and after
> continues
> executable
> shows up in

> LEGACY BROTHER XP SPL SERVICE and

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Aug 1, 2004, 2:19:39 AM8/1/04
You can try my Startup Programs Tracker. http://www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Startup Programs Tracker.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com

Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Paul Jackson

Aug 1, 2004, 5:07:04 AM8/1/04
Hi Doug,

still no luck. Did as you asked but on reboot the service reappears!

Kelly

Aug 1, 2004, 5:11:44 AM8/1/04
Disable it and move on.