Lsass.exe System error XP Home SP2

Toy@discussions.microsoft.com My Toy

Feb 2, 2005, 12:03:03 PM2/2/05
I have been receiving the following erroe message on a system I am building
Lsass.exe-System Error
"An I/O operation initiated by the Registry failed unrecoverably. The
Registry could not read in,or write out, or flush, one of the files that
contain system's image of the Registry"
To me, this seems to be a software error, or an error generated because of a
corrupted file when Lsass.exe executes. so I ran fdisk, took out the
partitions, set them again, reformatted and reinstalled the operating system.
I have flushed the MB registry several times,still the same message. Any ideas

Jon Erlandson

Feb 2, 2005, 6:52:36 PM2/2/05
Look in you Event Viewer and see if you can gather more info on the error.
It may have something to do with pagefile size and/or location (good to
manually set to 1.5 X RAM in both min and max i.e., 1G ram = 1500 Megs
pagefile setting.)

"My Toy" <My T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

My Toy

Feb 2, 2005, 8:23:02 PM2/2/05
Tks for your reply Jon. Unfortunately I never got far enough along in boot
process that anything registered in the Event Viewer...I was able to access
the operating system in the Safe Mode, unfortunately, there was nothing
recorded there other than while I was "in safe mode". I changed the pagefile
size as suggested, lets see what happens when I start up tomorrow morning.
For some unknown reason, I booted straight through last time without errors
which has happened before, then back to the error message first boot of the
day. I will keep you posted.

It never seems to amaze me that Microsoft can let these problems continue
with Lsass.exe process (of course not to be confused with lsass.exe) as there
is an enormous amount of discussion on the net concerning problems created by
this process even before SP2 release.

My Toy

Feb 3, 2005, 4:11:05 PM2/3/05
Update.......same problem this AM, was able to access the Event Viewer this
time booting in safe mode. Indicated an error with an attached device was not
functioning, further messaging indicated a problem with modem
connections.....so, I pulled the modem. System now boots properly, another
error code appears, says that the HD controller is not working properly. Ran
Powermax, no HD problems indicated. Beats me!!!!!!!!
I suspected problems with the Modem in the first place as I had seen some
mention of "ports" not closing properly causing Lsass errors. Will try again
with a cold boot tomorrow, see how things work out.

Jon Erlandson

Feb 3, 2005, 6:01:25 PM2/3/05
When installing new components it's always a good idea to go to the
manufacturers site and download the latest drivers.

"My Toy" <My...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kazzabojangles

May 28, 2005, 11:21:02 AM5/28/05
Did you manage to solve this problem? I am having exactly the same problem
but this is the first system I have attempted to build. Everything was going
fine then this error message started to appear. It goes on to restart the PC
2 or 3 times then you can get past it and log on to windows ok! I havent got
as far as installing a modem so I am baffled as to the cause. HELP!

David H. Lipman

May 28, 2005, 1:43:55 PM5/28/05
From: "kazzabojangles" <kazzabo...@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Did you manage to solve this problem? I am having exactly the same problem
| but this is the first system I have attempted to build. Everything was going
| fine then this error message started to appear. It goes on to restart the PC
| 2 or 3 times then you can get past it and log on to windows ok! I havent got
| as far as installing a modem so I am baffled as to the cause. HELP!
|
| "My Toy" wrote:

Download the patch (below). Put the patch, Stinger and Sysclean (below) on media (CDROM,
ZIP
Disk, USB Flash drive, etc) disconnect the affected PC from the Internet and install the
patch. Then reboot the PC and perform the following scan of the PC using Stinger and Trend
Sysclean !

Go to; Start --> Run
enter; shutdown -a

This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool,
Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Please read the following URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_printxp.mspx

Please install the patch that fixes the Lsass vulnerability that the Sasser and other
infectors exploit --
KB835732
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en

You also need a FireWall.
If you don't patch the PC and not use a FireWall then you will just be re-infected.

I also suggest the installation of ALL MS Critical Updates ASAP.

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

1) Download the TrendMicro Sysclean Front End

Download the utility SYSCLEAN_FE at the following URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and execution process of the Trend Sysclean Package.
Direct URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

2) Download and install Ad-aware SE
(free personal version v1.06)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions and then exit the software.

3) Execute; SYSCLEAN_FE.EXE
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
when you get to the menu dhoose [1] so you can boot into Safe Mode.

4) Disable System Restore

5) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.

6) Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
Choose [2] on the menu and let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
when done, execute Ad-aware SE and perform a full scan of your PC and delete
all objects found.

7) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
Choose [2] on the menu and let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
when done, execute Ad-aware SE and perform a final scan of your PC and delete
all objects found.

8) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
(e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),

9) Reboot your PC.

10) Create a new Restore point

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

kazzabojangles

May 28, 2005, 2:20:02 PM5/28/05
Thankyou for responding. I can't understand how I could be infected when
this PC has never been connected to the internet. Is it possible that it
could be to do with the fact that I purchased the XP full version disk from a
Computer Fair? Is it possible that this could be the cause of the problem?

David H. Lipman

May 28, 2005, 3:18:12 PM5/28/05
From: "kazzabojangles" <kazzabo...@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Thankyou for responding. I can't understand how I could be infected when
| this PC has never been connected to the internet. Is it possible that it
| could be to do with the fact that I purchased the XP full version disk from a
| Computer Fair? Is it possible that this could be the cause of the problem?

Possible but not probable.

News

May 28, 2005, 3:27:37 PM5/28/05

"kazzabojangles" <kazzabo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I had a problem with this and it turned out to be virus kind of activity. I
did a clean installation and it fixed it in the end.

kazzabojangles

May 29, 2005, 8:22:01 AM5/29/05
Thankyou for the previous responses but I am still stuck on this! I tried
reformatting and setup went fine but within 5 mins same error message
appeared! I still can't understand how it could be a virus. This is a newly
built system that has not run any programs at all yet and never been online.
Is it poss that any of the installation software I am using could be
corrupted? If I cant solve it by reinstalling Windows what else can I do?

Steve N.

May 29, 2005, 10:14:01 AM5/29/05
kazzabojangles wrote:

> Thankyou for the previous responses but I am still stuck on this! I tried
> reformatting and setup went fine but within 5 mins same error message
> appeared! I still can't understand how it could be a virus. This is a newly
> built system that has not run any programs at all yet and never been online.
> Is it poss that any of the installation software I am using could be
> corrupted? If I cant solve it by reinstalling Windows what else can I do?

Have you tested your RAM and hard drive?

Steve

David H. Lipman

May 29, 2005, 10:55:51 AM5/29/05
From: "kazzabojangles" <kazzabo...@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Thankyou for the previous responses but I am still stuck on this! I tried
| reformatting and setup went fine but within 5 mins same error message
| appeared! I still can't understand how it could be a virus. This is a newly
| built system that has not run any programs at all yet and never been online.
| Is it poss that any of the installation software I am using could be
| corrupted? If I cant solve it by reinstalling Windows what else can I do?
|
| "My Toy" wrote:

You failed to follow my advice !

I didn't tell you to reformat and re-install.

I did state - "If you don't patch the PC and not use a FireWall then you will just be
re-infected."

As long as you fail to heed my information, you will continue to be exploited !

Jones

May 29, 2005, 6:17:40 PM5/29/05

The kind of virus I felt this was did not come from email it seemed to be
some kind of other virus.

David H. Lipman

May 29, 2005, 8:02:02 PM5/29/05
From: "Jones" <jo...@noreply.com>

| The kind of virus I felt this was did not come from email it seemed to be
| some kind of other virus.

There are a few types of LSASS Exploits but most are Internet worms that attack and try to
infect via TCP port 445.

Jones

May 29, 2005, 11:05:58 PM5/29/05

It seems awful that these programs can randomly get into your system and
mess it up without even opening up an email!

kazzabojangles

May 30, 2005, 5:03:01 AM5/30/05
I'm sorry to sound like I am ignoring your advice on this, I am really
grateful for all your suggestions - but again I have to ask - how can this be
a virus issue when this PC is brand new and has not yet been hooked up to the
net? - it does not even have a modem installed. Also I did download the
patch you suggested from another PC and when I uploaded it I received a M/S
window telling me that SP2 is already installed and is more up to date than
the patch I am trying to install. I also reformatted again (I know, you told
me not to but I'm clutching at straws here!) and this time I used a new XP
package and it still happened so that would suggest to me that it isnt to do
with the O/S. Please can you suggest anything else?

David Candy

May 30, 2005, 6:20:30 AM5/30/05
What have you done to your computer re configuring it. Especially memory tuning? Or memory or disk error.
Memory Tester
============
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Use the recovery console to test the disk.

That message text is the text for error 1016 (type in Start Run
cmd /k net helpmsg 1016
)

You can look through here.
http://www.google.com.au/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=Lsass+%22An+I%2FO+operation+initiated+by+the+registry+failed%22&meta=

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=Lsass%20%22An%20I%2FO%20operation%20initiated%20by%20the%20registry%20failed%22&num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=wg

kazzabojangles

Jun 1, 2005, 10:32:09 AM6/1/05
Thankyou all for your many suggestions re this error. It appears to be
finally solved! And it was as simple as replacing the cables running from
the hard drive and the dvd drive! Have been using the PC with no problems
for the last 2 days - fingers crossed it stays that way!