MS Access 97 won't install?

Jane Williams

Nov 1, 2001, 4:06:29 AM11/1/01
We've just upgraded the home PC from Win98 to WinXP. We
checked out in advance that all our software would still
be compatible, and decided that we could live without the
few bits that weren't. The existing 98 installation was a
mess, so we went for a clean install of XP and then
started re-installing things.

All went well until we put Office back in. Access 97 is
complaining about missing files. Is this a known
imcompatibility, or what? And why didn't the MS check find
the problem in the first place? That was why we ran it,
after all, and this is an MS bit of software we're trying
to install.

Tony Vella

Nov 1, 2001, 9:05:32 AM11/1/01
My Access 97 installed without a hitch and is working like a charm.
--
Tony Vella
tony....@home.com

"Jane Williams" <ja...@williams.nildram.co.uk> wrote in message

Jane Williams

Nov 1, 2001, 10:26:01 AM11/1/01
>My Access 97 installed without a hitch and is working
like a charm.
>--
>Tony Vella
>tony....@home.com

And I got a private email to the same effect.

Thanks: I will try again, secure in the knowledge that
this *can* be done. (I'd hate to spend the evening
attempting the impossible).

Steve Shattuck

Nov 1, 2001, 5:05:25 PM11/1/01
"Jane Williams" <ja...@williams.nildram.co.uk> wrote in message news:61f401c162b4$7e049770$19ef2ecf@tkmsftngxa01...

> All went well until we put Office back in. Access 97 is

> complaining about missing files. Is this a known
> imcompatibility, or what? And why didn't the MS check find
> the problem in the first place? That was why we ran it,
> after all, and this is an MS bit of software we're trying
> to install.

Search the Microsoft Knowledgebase for the error message. It is an install bug in 97, not XP. The steps to correct it are mind boggling (rename a font, delete some file, reinstall, rename font or something like that) but it works.

--
.__
(__

Linda McElwee

Nov 1, 2001, 6:52:24 PM11/1/01
If Access is complaining about not having a license file, it's a known bug.
There is a file in the MS KB that you can d/l and execute that will fix the
problem
Later,
Linda

lmce...@earthlink.net