Blue highlighted text under desktop icons

kl

Jul 25, 2007, 11:18:06 AM7/25/07
The text under my desktop icons are highlighted in blue. I need to know how
to removed the blue highlight.

Kelly

Jul 25, 2007, 12:24:22 PM7/25/07
Is it when you point to them? Either way, check your settings here:

Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options - Click items as follows...

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

"kl" <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kl

Jul 25, 2007, 12:56:04 PM7/25/07
No. I have icons/shortcuts on my desktop. The text (the name of the
document or icon) is highlighted blue. So it has the name and then the name
and then it's highlighted blue. Like if you made a blue box and then put
text on top of it.

Kelly

Jul 25, 2007, 1:07:28 PM7/25/07
Ok, see if this helps....

Transparent Icons:

Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance/Settings/ Visual
Effects/"Use drop shadows for icon labels on the Desktop"

Also:

Right click the desktop and select Arrange Icons by. Towards the bottom of
that list, uncheck "Lock web items on the desktop."

Desktop Text Color:

By default in XP, it can't be manually changed. The text changes on its own
from dark to light depending on the color of the background. It is based on
the Desktop color not the Wallpaper. The combo is whether or not you are
using a Wallpaper and what the Desktop color is.

However...if you have Use drop shadows checked for the icon labels,
the text will always be white no matter what color the background is.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

"kl" <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

kl

Jul 25, 2007, 1:22:07 PM7/25/07
I have done this before. Thank you, but it doesn't work. I still have blue
boxes with the names of the icons/shortscuts on my desktop.

My boss was trying to copy a download link from my outlook e-mail to the
desktop, and when we did this (which it didn't work) that's when all the text
on the desktop was highlighted with blue boxes.

kl

Jul 25, 2007, 1:36:02 PM7/25/07

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Ayush

Jul 25, 2007, 8:16:04 PM7/25/07
[kl] wrote-:

> The text under my desktop icons are highlighted in blue. I need to know how
> to removed the blue highlight.

1.Remove all Active desktop items :
-Right click Desktop
-Properties
-Desktop tab
-'Customize desktop' button
-Web tab
-Uncheck all items and click OK twice.

2. Uncheck Lock icons :
-Right click Desktop
-Point to Arrange icons by
-Uncheck "Lock web items"

3. Enable 'Use Drop shadows for icons' :
-Click Start > Run
-Type sysdm.cpl ,3
-Press Enter or Click OK
-Click the first "Settings" button (under Performance)
-Scroll down and tick "Use drop shadows for icon labels...."
-Click OK twice.

Good Luck, Ayush.
--
XP-Tips [Disable Turn off computer button on Welcome screen] :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/advanced/sdbutton.mspx

M.I.5¾

Jul 26, 2007, 5:15:37 AM7/26/07

"Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message

> [kl] wrote-:
>> The text under my desktop icons are highlighted in blue. I need to know
>> how to removed the blue highlight.
>
> 1.Remove all Active desktop items :
> -Right click Desktop
> -Properties
> -Desktop tab
> -'Customize desktop' button
> -Web tab
> -Uncheck all items and click OK twice.
>
> 2. Uncheck Lock icons :
> -Right click Desktop
> -Point to Arrange icons by
> -Uncheck "Lock web items"
>
> 3. Enable 'Use Drop shadows for icons' :
> -Click Start > Run
> -Type sysdm.cpl ,3
> -Press Enter or Click OK
> -Click the first "Settings" button (under Performance)
> -Scroll down and tick "Use drop shadows for icon labels...."
> -Click OK twice.

I have been trying to solve this problem for ages.

Your method does not work.

naughtygirl

Nov 23, 2008, 5:59:03 AM11/23/08

I have used this method and it worked for me. thanks.
I had icons on the desktop which were blue rectangles with white text.
when i looked in 'web tab' I found a web address was ticked. now it
isnt and my xp pro desktop is back to normal.
I registered with this site just to let you know.
thanks again.
Jill

--
naughtygirl

bally

Feb 7, 2009, 8:36:16 AM2/7/09

hopefully you ve sorted this irritant out but if not, the simplest
answer is to-
select start/help and support/pick a task/choose system restore. pick
the day before as the restore point .Once your computer has restored to
this point and you ve restarted your computer you may need to click on
updates
on your computers security system eg mcafee, norton etc...hope this
sorts it

ju.c

Feb 8, 2009, 1:33:36 AM2/8/09
Please don't delete previous posts, thanks.

Bob_S_98765

May 18, 2009, 9:44:27 PM5/18/09

I also had no luck with the info below on its own. In case others also
had difficulties seeing highlighting in other programs I found that the
contrast settings had been changed.

So I did the following:

STEP ONE:)
a. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Accessibility
Options.
b. On the Display tab, under High Contrast, unselect the Use High
Contrast check box.
c. If the Use shortcut check box in the Settings for High Contrast
dialog box is selected,
click settings an choose windows classic as high contrast appearance
scheme

naughtygirl;865418 Wrote:

> M.I.5�;619438 Wrote:
> > "Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
> > know

> STEP TWO:)

> > > 1.Remove all Active desktop items :
> > > -Right click Desktop
> > > -Properties
> > > -Desktop tab
> > > -'Customize desktop' button
> > > -Web tab
> > > -Uncheck all items and click OK twice.
> > >
> > > 2. Uncheck Lock icons :
> > > -Right click Desktop
> > > -Point to Arrange icons by
> > > -Uncheck "Lock web items"
> > >
> > > 3. Enable 'Use Drop shadows for icons' :
> > > -Click Start > Run
> > > -Type sysdm.cpl ,3
> > > -Press Enter or Click OK
> > > -Click the first "Settings" button (under Performance)
> > > -Scroll down and tick "Use drop shadows for icon labels...."
> > > -Click OK twice.
> > >

> > I have been trying to solve this problem for ages.
> >
> > Your method does not work.
>
> I have used this method and it worked for me. thanks. I had icons on

> the desktop which were blue rectangles with white text when i looked in

> 'web tab' I found a web address was ticked. now it isnt and my xp pro
> desktop is back to normal.
> I registered with this site just to let you know. thanks again. Jill
> -- naughtygirl

To help with searches;
"desktop icon text highlight blue"

zako

Jul 4, 2009, 2:02:14 AM7/4/09

STOP YOUR SEARCH!

I just found the answer, and fixed the problem:

Right click *desktop* and click properties> click desktop>customize
desktop>then web, there was a webpage selected that was apparently added
by adware and when you delete it the *icons* should revert back to
normal.

enjoy!

--
zako

undisclosed

Aug 8, 2009, 11:21:45 AM8/8/09

i registered just to confirm zako's method.

ive had the same problem for a week or so and the above methods didnt
work until i tried zako's which thankfully did. i didnt even have to do
anything to the web tab really, i just selected and unselected a box,
then went back a tab and clicked a tab and voila!

thank you all generous contributors who try to help others out.

--
valiantchamp

undisclosed

Dec 22, 2009, 10:49:56 PM12/22/09

I also found another method to encounter this issue:

1. Right Click on My Computer and select Properties to open System
Properties
2. Click on the Advanced tab
3. Click on Settings under Performance
4. On the Visual Effects tab, scroll down and make sure "Use drop
shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is checked.
5. Click OK in all windows to apply the settings

Immediately, the desktop will refresh itself and you will get your
results.

--
anonymous

VanguardLH

Dec 23, 2009, 12:15:11 AM12/23/09
undisclosed wrote:

The OP died *2-1/2 YEARS AGO*. Next time notice the datestamps. Oh, that's
right, you NEVER look. You prefer to post to stale threads.

The respondent "undisclosed" is using a leech site that pretends to have
forums by running a webnews-for-dummies interface that submits posts through
a gateway to Usenet (aka newsgroups).