ipconfig error: unable to query host name

avat

Sep 1, 2008, 5:31:01 PM9/1/08
I am working through a router with one main computer, a wireless laptop, and
a second desktop computer. When everything is plugged in, the second desktop
computer (which runs Windows XP Home Edition) shows it is connected to the
Internet, but when running a browser (in this case Internet Explorer) I get
the "The page cannot be displayed" error.

I've tried to run an "ipconfig" through the command prompt and I get this
error:
Windows IP Configuration

An internal error occurred: the request is not supported.

Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help.

Additional information: Unable to query host name.

I followed the instructions in this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918557/en-us?sd=gn
However, the computer name is there and was already in the places it says to
check in "regedit". They gave no further information.

Any help on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Pegasus (MVP)

Sep 1, 2008, 5:49:48 PM9/1/08

"avat" <av...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

This problem can be caused by a damaged or missing file tcpip.sys. Try
restoring it from your WinXP installation CD.

zebrum

May 22, 2009, 5:39:59 PM5/22/09

I realise this is an old thread but honestly I couldn't find a solution
to this anywhere so I had to figure it out myself. So if you get this
when you ipconfig: "an internal error occurred" "unable to query host
name"

Then the solution is to reinstall TCP/IP as follows:

Download and run Windows Enabler which lets you re-enable greyed out
buttons
'Windows Enabler'
(http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/speedload/Enabler.htm)
Notice it sitting in the task tray

Go in control panel, then network connections and right click your
local area connection, choose properties. In the list click to highlight
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). The problem is that uninstall is greyed out.
To fix this click the windows enabler task tray icon once. Then click
uninstall and it becomes active. Click the windows enabler tray icon
once more to turn it off. Now click uninstall. Reboot. Go back into the
network properties and install Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) again (Do not
install Microsoft IP 6.0).

This fixed it for me, what a relief!! Stupid MS.

--
zebrum

Tim Meddick

May 22, 2009, 5:50:54 PM5/22/09
'Windows Enabler' is a great little program for those amongst us who like to
'dig around' in Windows' uncharted regions.

It can also help when Windows doesn't always know what's best for us when it
'parentally' greys out boxes to 'protect' us from ourselves.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

"zebrum" <zeb...@gmail.com> wrote in message