Hanns.G monitor problem

Mansfield Terrier

Jul 19, 2009, 9:18:01 AM7/19/09
Hmmm ...
I might have been sold a 'pup' here!
I've just bought a Hanns.G HG191A widescreen monitor - an ex-display model,
so no box - and I'm now struggling for drivers.
The CD-Rom that came with it seems to suggest that it needs the Vista OS,
but I'm Windows XP!
Having searched the net for XP drivers, I have come up with blanks.

Any thoughts as to a way around this?
I can't go on with everything looking 1/2 s wide again!!

MT :(

Singapore Computer Service

Jul 19, 2009, 9:28:16 AM7/19/09
Hello,

Just hook up the monitor and it should be auto detected in XP.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Mansfield Terrier" <Mansfiel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8E97F4CA-6C56-4A75...@microsoft.com...

Mansfield Terrier

Jul 19, 2009, 10:30:01 AM7/19/09
Yes, it DID fire-up when I plugged it into the PC, but the problem is that
everything is wider than it should be. All photos of people are very fat!!

Right-clicking and then altering settings on the properties doesn't improve
things either.

Ron Badour

Jul 19, 2009, 10:31:28 AM7/19/09
Email: webser...@hannsg.com
Web: http://usservice.hannsg.net/

--
Regards

Ron Badour
MS MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Mansfield Terrier" <Mansfiel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8E97F4CA-6C56-4A75...@microsoft.com...

peter

Jul 19, 2009, 10:41:34 AM7/19/09
its native resolution is 1440x900 widescreen format.
What is your video card set to output???
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"Mansfield Terrier" <Mansfiel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:2CED9D7D-F4F8-48AA...@microsoft.com...

Jose

Jul 19, 2009, 10:55:24 AM7/19/09
On Jul 19, 9:18 am, Mansfield Terrier

The way I read it from the WWW site: http://www.hannsg.com/us/

Windows XP should detect it as a PnP device, but if you find yourself
needing Vista drivers, they have them for download - along with
manuals and stuff if you didn't pick one up.

Personally, I would read the manual before hand, but that could just
be me.

There is toll free number perhaps to talk to some of he happy people
in their pictures (the link is for the US).

Paul

Jul 19, 2009, 1:37:00 PM7/19/09
peter wrote:
> its native resolution is 1440x900 widescreen format.
> What is your video card set to output???
> peter

I found the HG191AP on this site.

http://euenservice.hannsg.net/

http://europe.hannsg.net/download_file.jsp?file_name=/_download_/filectrl/HG191_Vista.zip

http://europe.hannsg.net/download_file.jsp?file_name=/_download_/filectrl/HG191_UM_Vista_EN.pdf

What I can't tell you, is whether the info in the INF of the
ZIP file, is compatible with WinXP.

In any case, the monitor is 1440 x 900 native, aspect ratio 1.6,
so the video card (the display control panel) resolution setting
should ideally be set to native resolution (1440 x 900 @ 60Hz)
for best results. The above PDF manual, has a table in
the back, listing the timings supported by the monitor.

What is interesting, is I don't see a resolution option
other than 1440 x 900, with aspect ratio 1.6. The resampled
resolutions all seem to carefully avoid the correct aspect
ratio, so circles will end up squashed one way or another
if you select the alternatives. Only one setting looks
"perfect".

The INF file only mentions a few of the resolutions,
but I don't think those necessarily force the issue.
This entry is probably the most valuable part of the
INF of the monitor driver.

HKR,,MaxResolution,,"1440,900"

Since the input to the monitor is VGA, that improves the
odds your video card or device can drive it without
some other issues. It is just a matter of convincing the
video driver, that the device can take more than 1280x1024
or whatever. Video drivers usually restrict output resolution,
if they don't know what the max resolution is.

This is all supposed to be "Plug and Play", but when it isn't
(like on my computer), the monitor driver may help.

Paul

Jose

Jul 19, 2009, 1:37:19 PM7/19/09
On Jul 19, 10:30 am, Mansfield Terrier

<MansfieldTerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Yes, it DID fire-up when I plugged it into the PC, but the problem is that
> everything is wider than it should be. All photos of people are very fat!!
>
> Right-clicking and then altering settings on the properties doesn't improve
> things either.
>

> "Singapore Computer Service" wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > Just hook up the monitor and it should be auto detected in XP.
>
> > Regards,
> > Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> >http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> > Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> >http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> > "Mansfield Terrier" <MansfieldTerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:8E97F4CA-6C56-4A75...@microsoft.com...

> > > Hmmm ...
> > > I might have been sold a 'pup' here!
> > > I've just bought a Hanns.G HG191A widescreen monitor - an ex-display
> > > model,
> > > so no box - and I'm now struggling for drivers.
> > > The CD-Rom that came with it seems to suggest that it needs the Vista OS,
> > > but I'm Windows XP!
> > > Having searched the net for XP drivers, I have come up with blanks.
>
> > > Any thoughts as to a way around this?
> > > I can't go on with everything looking 1/2 s wide again!!
>
> > > MT :(

I think an expectation of it to work properly by just plugging it in
is too great. At least you see fat people and that is better than no
video at all.

Somethings will need to be adjusted.

Imagine... it worked fine in the store (I hope), but that was a
totally different computer than yours. Do you think the video
settings from the computer in the store would be the same as your
computer with your old monitor?

Maybe, but probably not.

Mansfield Terrier

Jul 20, 2009, 9:49:01 AM7/20/09
Hi
Sorry for delay in responding; for some reason I wasn't informed of your
replies.

I have already sussed out that it needs a 1440 x 900 res; I went to the
Official Site and discovered that.
However, my PC won't allow anything above 1280 x 1024 and I think that this
is the crux of my problem.

Any ideas as to how I can change these settings?

MT ;)

smlunatick

Jul 20, 2009, 9:57:59 AM7/20/09
On Jul 20, 2:49 pm, Mansfield Terrier

Which video "connection" are you using? Usually when using most DVI
interface, the monitor will only use the native resolution.

Singapore Computer Service

Jul 20, 2009, 9:58:02 AM7/20/09
Hello,

What video card are you using? To find out:
Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Display
Adaptors

Post back the name of the entry under Display Adaptors

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service

"Mansfield Terrier" <Mansfiel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:52DAF4EF-02B5-4FDD...@microsoft.com...

Mansfield Terrier

Jul 20, 2009, 10:14:01 AM7/20/09
Hi
Thanks again for the response.
'Fraid you're dealing with a non-techie here, so your 'follow-me' guide is
very helpful!
Following your guidance, I can tell you that my Display adaptor has TWO
entries, namely ...

* LogMeIn Mirror Driver
* SIS 650/651/740/661FX/741/760 series

Any use?

MT ;)

smlunatick

Jul 20, 2009, 10:28:58 AM7/20/09
On Jul 20, 3:14 pm, Mansfield Terrier

<MansfieldTerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi
> Thanks again for the response.
> 'Fraid you're dealing with a non-techie here, so your 'follow-me' guide is
> very helpful!
> Following your guidance, I can tell you that my Display adaptor has TWO
> entries, namely ...
>
> * LogMeIn Mirror Driver
> * SIS 650/651/740/661FX/741/760 series
>
> Any use?
>
> MT ;)
>
> "Singapore Computer Service" wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > What video card are you using? To find out:
> > Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Display
> > Adaptors
>
> > Post back the name of the entry under Display Adaptors
>
> > Regards,
> > Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> >http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> > Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> >http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> > "Mansfield Terrier" <MansfieldTerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:52DAF4EF-02B5-4FDD...@microsoft.com...

LogMeIn entry is for the LogMeIn remote access Internet service. This
allows you to access you PC from anywhere else in the world via the
Internet.

SIS 650/651/740/661FX/741/760 series is probably your video card.
What type of video cable connection are you using? If you are using a
video cable with three rows of 5 pins, you are using a "plain" VGA
connection.

Singapore Computer Service

Jul 20, 2009, 10:29:35 AM7/20/09

Hello,

Sorry, your video card driver does not seem to support the native resolution
of your display.

You may want to try updating the video card driver from
http://www.sis.com/download/ (download the 'SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver ')

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Mansfield Terrier" <Mansfiel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:E534AE15-62CE-4269...@microsoft.com...

Mansfield Terrier

Jul 20, 2009, 10:40:02 AM7/20/09
"You may want to try updating the video card driver from
http://www.sis.com/download/ (download the 'SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver ')"

And will that solve it for me, do you think?

I'm reluctant to download new drivers and then fin dthat i have a monitor
which doesn't work at all!!!

Jose

Jul 20, 2009, 11:14:17 AM7/20/09
On Jul 20, 10:40 am, Mansfield Terrier
<MansfieldTerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> "You may want to try updating the video card driver fromhttp://www.sis.com/download/(download the 'SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver ')"

> And will that solve it for me, do you think?
>
> I'm reluctant to download new drivers and then fin dthat i have a monitor
> which doesn't work at all!!!
>
> MT ;)
>

> "Singapore Computer Service" wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > Sorry, your video card driver does not seem to support the native resolution
> > of your display.
>
> > You may want to try updating the video card driver from
> >http://www.sis.com/download/(download the 'SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver ')

> > Regards,
> > Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> >http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> > Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> >http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> > "Mansfield Terrier" <MansfieldTerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > messagenews:E534AE15-62CE-4269...@microsoft.com...

> > > Hi
> > > Thanks again for the response.
> > > 'Fraid you're dealing with a non-techie here, so your 'follow-me' guide is
> > > very helpful!
> > > Following your guidance, I can tell you that my Display adaptor has TWO
> > > entries, namely ...
>
> > > * LogMeIn Mirror Driver
> > > * SIS 650/651/740/661FX/741/760 series
>
> > > Any use?
>
> > > MT ;)

If you are using on board video from your motherboard, the chances are
probably pretty good that it just was never intended to support a
higher end monitor - why should it?

What you buy off the shelf is probably going to be fairly basic.
Think of all the gamers in the world that spend $$$ just for some
super video card to play games.

Soooo, you can check for an update to what you have that meets or
exceeds the monitor requirements.

If no suitable driver update is found, your only option is to get a
higher end video card that you know meets or exceeds the requirements.

I would go shopping. You will probably like it a lot better knowing
that you are not trying to get your new monitor to behave using
contorted or otherwise unnatural methods.

Singapore Computer Service

Jul 20, 2009, 11:11:35 AM7/20/09
Hello,

I cannot guarantee that it will solve your problem as it is driver
dependent.

With online support, we are not able to guarantee whatever we suggest will
work the way it should as other software and hardware compatibility issues
can arise. What we do is to make the most appropriate suggestion based on
the information you have provided us and our experience with such problems.

You can take a preventative measure by creating a Restore Point before
installing the driver (Start > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore)

If your system fails to boot after installing the driver, restore your
system by booting into Safe Mode. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Mansfield Terrier" <Mansfiel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

message news:7D3499C2-36AC-47F9...@microsoft.com...

Ken Blake, MVP

Jul 20, 2009, 11:24:47 AM7/20/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 06:49:01 -0700, Mansfield Terrier
<Mansfiel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi
> Sorry for delay in responding; for some reason I wasn't informed of your
> replies.
>
> I have already sussed out that it needs a 1440 x 900 res; I went to the
> Official Site and discovered that.
> However, my PC won't allow anything above 1280 x 1024 and I think that this
> is the crux of my problem.
>
> Any ideas as to how I can change these settings?

Probably your video card won't support the needed resolution, and your
only solution would be to buy a new card.

How old is the computer? If it's several years old, its not supporting
wide-screen monitors is common.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Mansfield Terrier

Jul 20, 2009, 11:30:12 AM7/20/09
OK - thanks for all of the help.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some more spending to be sure that all
works well.

MT :-)

Mansfield Terrier

Jul 20, 2009, 12:39:01 PM7/20/09
Hi Ken

It's a 2004 HP Pavilion a708.uk desktop, so I guess that the age is the
problem.
:-(

Looks like I'll need to buy a new video card, yes?

MT ;)

Ken Blake, MVP

Jul 20, 2009, 1:10:32 PM7/20/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:39:01 -0700, Mansfield Terrier
<Mansfiel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi Ken
>
> It's a 2004 HP Pavilion a708.uk desktop, so I guess that the age is the
> problem.
> :-(

Very likely.

> Looks like I'll need to buy a new video card, yes?

Look in Device Manager to see what video card you have, then check the
video card's specs on its manufacturer's web site.

If it doesn't support wide-screen monitors (and it probably doesn't),
and you want to use a wide-screen monitor, yes you need a new one.
Otherwise you will be running at the wrong resolution for the monitor,
so the image will be poor and graphics shapes will be distorted.

Paul

Jul 20, 2009, 4:13:05 PM7/20/09
Mansfield Terrier wrote:
> Hi Ken
>
> It's a 2004 HP Pavilion a708.uk desktop, so I guess that the age is the
> problem.
> :-(
>
> Looks like I'll need to buy a new video card, yes?
>
> MT ;)

The problem isn't always the driver.

http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic10059.html

In terms of "pulling out all your hair", a new video card
added to the computer is certainly one way to fix it.

There is room on the motherboard shown in the picture here,
for either an AGP or a PCI video card (*not* PCI Express ones).
AGP would be the best choice, from a performance perspective.
AGP has more slot bandwidth to offer. The chipset used on the
board is SiS661fx, so it is more modern than I would have guessed.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00211786&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=436507

For some info on video card compatibility for AGP, try this site.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

Trying the driver from SIS is also worth a shot. You can
use the "driver rollback" button in Device Manager, if you
don't like the results. The current version for the
661FX is uvga3_390.zip from http://www.sis.com/download .

The info here mentions 1600x1200 for the chipset, so I think
it is still worth spending some time on drivers - or
evaluating Powerstrip from entechtaiwan.com as a means to
set the resolution.

http://www.sis.com/products/sis661fx.htm

Paul