Hard Drive Partitions

Robb

Oct 9, 2001, 12:24:33 PM10/9/01
Is there an advantage to partitioning your hard drive
when you are only running one OS? I understand I can
reinstall the OS or format that partition without
disturbing the files on the other, but is there anything
else advantageous?

Also, if I choose to run the OS on one partition how
large does it need to be? Do I also install the programs
into that partition or on the other?

This is mostly personal opinion questions about what kind
of partition structure is best. Any of your input would
be great.

Thanks,

robb

Chris H.

Oct 9, 2001, 12:37:40 PM10/9/01
See responses (-->) below.

"Robb" <robb_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Is there an advantage to partitioning your hard drive
> when you are only running one OS? I understand I can
> reinstall the OS or format that partition without
> disturbing the files on the other, but is there anything
> else advantageous?

--> Even with only one OS on the system, I prefer moving my Outlook Express
Store folder to my D: partition so I can reformat and reinstall without
disturbing the Store. I also have an "applications" folder where I keep
downloaded updates to various programs and hardware, and never have to
bother moving them.

> Also, if I choose to run the OS on one partition how
> large does it need to be? Do I also install the programs
> into that partition or on the other?

--> Depends on the number and size of the programs you're normally
using/installing. Personal preference, I suppose. Windows XP wants at
least 2 GB, and I would suggest perhaps a minimum of 4 GB so it can do
everything it wants to do like System Restore, Hibernation, etc. Right now,
my XP install is on a 10 GB partition, but I haven't fully installed my
programs, and I'm running nearly 8 GB free. Personally, I don't attempt to
install any programs on a different partition than where the OS resides.

> This is mostly personal opinion questions about what kind
> of partition structure is best. Any of your input would
> be great.

--> Mine is a clean install on a 10 GB partition, of a 30 GB HDD, running
NTFS.
--
Chris H.
Associate Expert

lou gallant

Oct 9, 2001, 1:10:19 PM10/9/01
Can you give me a pointer on how to partion my drive
without destroying the existing data? Is it possible to
do this without third party utilities?

Thanks,
Lou

lou gallant

Oct 9, 2001, 1:10:03 PM10/9/01

lou gallant

Oct 9, 2001, 1:10:24 PM10/9/01

lou gallant

Oct 9, 2001, 1:10:23 PM10/9/01

lou gallant

Oct 9, 2001, 1:22:14 PM10/9/01
i guess i hit reply a few too many times... i didn't
think it was working- damn, sorry-

Chris H.

Oct 9, 2001, 1:33:23 PM10/9/01
Within Windows XP, you can partition hard drives. Check out "Create a
partition or logical drive" in Help & Support. In addition, there are
several third-party programs which allow you to partition/move/adjust
partitions. Personally, I use PartitionMagic 7.0 because it handles the
NTFS 3.1 system in Windows XP.

--
Chris H.
Associate Expert