Rundll Control_RunDLL error, can't use add/remove programs

bj3john4

Sep 5, 2006, 12:56:03 PM9/5/06
I recently experimented with a couple shell customization programs and after
installing them decided I didn't care for them and deleted them. However,
now when I try to access the add/remove programs feature in control panel I
get a Rundll error message that says:
An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,
Control_RunDll "C:\WINDOWS\system32\appwiz.cpl",Add or Remove Programs"
I started to re-install XP over the top of the existing installation but got
the "This version is older than the one you are attempting to replace"
message.
I'm just wondering if there is a way to undo what I did without
re-installing. I tried doing a system restore, but that had on change on the
problem.
thanks

david tauer

Sep 5, 2006, 3:11:24 PM9/5/06

"bj3john4" <bj3j...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem with windows 2000 Pro...After installing xp Home
> on the same partition. i haven't found a fix for it either............

bj3john4

Sep 5, 2006, 3:26:01 PM9/5/06

"david tauer" wrote:

I have the same problem with windows 2000 Pro...After installing xp Home on
the same partition. i haven't found a fix for it either............

Oddly enough my system originally had windows ME and I then upgraded to XP.
Don't know if that is significant or not.

Wesley Vogel

Sep 5, 2006, 7:17:03 PM9/5/06
appwiz.cpl is Add or Remove Programs.

Start | Run | Type: appwiz.cpl | Click OK

Still get the error?

appwiz.cpl is in %windir%\system32 and is the one that is normally used.

%windir%\system32 is usually C:\WINDOWS\system32.

If you still get the error, do a Search on your machine for appwiz.cpl

See this for...
HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302347

Try double clicking any other appwiz.cpl files that are found and see if
they work.

There are more things to try.

P.S. RunDll.exe is what runs .cpl files and .dll files.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CF8BB436-BE08-45D7...@microsoft.com,
bj3john4 <bj3j...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Unknown

Sep 5, 2006, 8:07:45 PM9/5/06

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVo...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uvhrIFU0...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> P.S. RunDll.exe is what runs .cpl files and .dll files.

rundll32 ;)

--
Alec S.
news/alec->synetech/cjb/net

Wesley Vogel

Sep 5, 2006, 9:28:51 PM9/5/06
Oops! Ya got me. ;-( rundll32.exe, Run a DLL as an App

rundll.exe is the 16-bit application for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows
Me.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23oYTxiU...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Alec S. <@> hunted and pecked:

bj3john4

Sep 6, 2006, 9:29:02 AM9/6/06
Thanks Wesley for your advice. I followed it and came up with three search
hits using advanced options. One is in C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$,
one is in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and the third is in
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. When I doubled clicked any of them I got a
rundll error message. When I right click on them and select "Open with
Control Panel" I get the same rundll error message.

Also, I mistyped earlier... the machine I am having this problem with came
loaded with XP home on it. I also use a laptop that originally had ME then
upgraded to XP, but no problem there with this issue. I didn't know if that
would make a difference.

thanks,
bj

Wesley Vogel

Sep 6, 2006, 5:09:39 PM9/6/06
You can try expanding a new appwiz.cpl from your XP CD.

Open a Command Prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK

Insert your XP CD into your CD drive and enter (Copy and Paste) the
following command:

expand d:\i386\appwiz.cp_ %windir%\system32\appwiz.cpl

Hit your ENTER key.

NOTE :
Change d to = your CD drive letter if different than D:

If you have to, use the CD from the laptop.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:54412567-B424-4D50...@microsoft.com,

bj3john4 <bj3j...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

bj3john4

Sep 7, 2006, 10:42:01 AM9/7/06
Ok Wesley... I've done what you suggested and now I no longer get the error
message... but nothing happens now... hmmm. When I try to open the file
absolutely nothing happens. Any other ideas? It installed into the system32
file, btw.

Wesley Vogel

Sep 7, 2006, 11:59:07 AM9/7/06
I am not sure what might be wrong.

Do other *.cpl files work on your machine?

*.cpl files are Control Panel extensions, they show up in the Control Panel.

Do a search for *.cpl in C:\WINDOWS\system32, double click them when found.

Do all of them open or cause errors?

Here's a list. You may have some not listed here and you may not have some
that are listed here.

access.cpl = Accessibility Options
appwiz.cpl = Add or Remove Programs
desk.cpl = Desktop Control Panel = Display Properties
hdwwiz.cpl = Add Hardware Control Panel Applet
inetcpl.cpl = Internet Control Panel = Internet Properties
intl.cpl = Regional and Language Options
irprops.cpl = Wireless Link Control Panel Applet
joy.cpl = Game Controllers
jpicpl32.cpl = JavaPlugin
main.cpl = Mouse Properties
mlcfg32.cpl = Microsoft Mail Configuration Library (MS Outlook 97, 2000 ,
2002 and 2003)
mmsys.cpl = Sounds and Audio Device Properties
ncpa.cpl = Network Connections Control-Panel Stub
nusrmgr.cpl = Windows User Manager = Users Accounts
nvtuicpl.cpl = NVIDIA nView Control Panel, Version 52.16
nwc.cpl = Client Service for NetWare Applet
odbccp32.cpl = Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Control Panel
plotman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plotter Manager
powercfg.cpl = Power Management Configuration Control Panel Applet or Power
Options Properties
SanCpl.cpl = SiSoftware Sandra™ English Control Panel Extension (Win32
x86)(NT)(ANSI)
sapi.cpl = SAPI 5 = Speech Properties
styleman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plot Style Manager
sysdm.cpl = System Properties
telephon.cpl = Telephony Control Panel
timedate.cpl = Time Date Control Panel Applet
wscui.cpl = SP2 Windows Security Center
wuaucpl.cpl = Automatic Updates Control Panel

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:82514FBB-3BF5-4833...@microsoft.com,

bj3john4

Sep 7, 2006, 1:21:02 PM9/7/06
ok, here is what is present:
access, appwiz *, bthprops*, desk, firewall, hdwwiz, inetcpl, intl,
irprops*, joy, jpicpl32, main, mmsys, ncpa, netsetup, nusrmgr, odbccp32,
powercfg, QuickTime, sysdm, telephon, timedate, wscui, wuaucpl

All load/work except those with *

Wesley Vogel

Sep 7, 2006, 11:42:21 PM9/7/06
Well, rundll32.exe is not the problem, it loads other .cpl files.

bthprops.cpl is legit. Whether you even need it is the question.

bthprops.cpl Associated with BlueTooth software, designed to allow
bluetooth mobile devices to authenticate to the computer, when connecting a
PDA to your computer - necessary for the computer and the PDA to
communicate.

irprops.cpl is legit. Whether you even need it is the question.

irprops.cpl Associated with BlueTooth software, and registers the "Infrared
Port properties" Control Panel applet. Should you get the error message,
"Rundll irprops.cpl missing entry Bluetooth authentication agent", see this
http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA20000912.htm

See this if you do not need BlueTooth...
You receive a "RUNDLL Error loading irprops.cpl" error message when you
start Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834340

The remove the 123 from my E-mail address and send me a message, I'll send
you a copy of appwiz.cpl. If it works, we'll figure out how to get it into
the folder it belongs in.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F1E9B253-EA1A-42A3...@microsoft.com,

bj3john4 <bj3j...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Wesley Vogel

Sep 8, 2006, 8:38:25 PM9/8/06
I sent you appwiz.cpl.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C59B6F07-8FF8-4DB6...@microsoft.com,

bj3john4 <bj3j...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

> e-mail sent

eric55

Mar 4, 2009, 9:09:52 AM3/4/09

I had the same problem trying to run add/remove programs on my Windows
XP (SP2) laptop. Someone told me to run "sfc /scannow" from Start ->
Run and now add/remove works fine for me. They also instructed me, "If
it starts complaining about not being able to find files, then just go
ahead and cancel it. You'll probably have to stop it from the task
manager, because as soon as you hit OK, another window will almost
immediately open."

For me, the program opened up a small status window and ran for at
least 5 or 10 minutes (not sure how long). It eventually finished and
there was no final status window or anything. I then was able to use
add/remove programs without problems.

Just now I did a quick Google search and found this link with
additional info on scannow: http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

I had previously done some amount of searching on my own to try to find
a solution to this problem and I hadn't found anything obvious which
worked from other user groups.

I hope this helps.

- Eric

--