Windows Defender fails to start services upon Installation

F3

May 26, 2009, 6:28:54 PM5/26/09
On several Compaq/HP computers with a P4-class CPU (either Intel or
AMD), 2GB RAM, running Windows XP Professional w/SP3, as clients on a
Windows SBS 2008 Domain, Windows Defender refuses to install.

With Local Administrator rights on the client computer, I run the
WindowsDefender.msi program and the installation starts. It goes
through the verification, EULA, etc., and then stops when the status bar
is (my estimate) 85% finished and says: "Status: Starting services".

THen, a popup window comes up and says:
"
Windows Defender Installer Information [x]

[!] Service 'Windows Defender' (WinDefend) failed to
start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start
system services.

[Retry] [Cancel]
"

How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Fred
<><

MowGreen

May 27, 2009, 10:28:23 AM5/27/09
Posted to microsoft.private.security.spyware.install by Gus
12/27/08:

> When trying to install Windows Defender, I was getting the following error
> "Service 'Windows Defender' (WinDefend) failed to start. Verify you have

> sufficient privileges to start system services."
>

> My problem was due to Spyware or a virus. I got rid of the Spyware by using
> AVG and MalWareBytes but was still not able to install Defender (also I had
> never had Defender installed on the PC).
>
> Here is how I fixed it:
> Searched the Registry for any "Defender" entries. Found an entry under
> "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Defender". When I tried to delete it
> (Windows Defender folder) I found I could not due to not enough rights. So I
> right-clicked the folder selected "Permissions" for this folder and gave the
> Administrator FULL rights (it had only READ). I was then able to delete this
> registry folder.After this I was able to install Windows Defender without any
> problems. I believe that the Spyware or virus I got added this entry to the
> registry to prevent me from installing Windows Defender.
>
> Hope this fix works for you guys :-)

The issue may not be related to the presence of malware on the systems
in question, rather, it may be that security software is the cause.

BTW, there are newsgroups that deal with Windows Defender exclusively:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/support.mspx

Instructions for accessing them via NNTP are available on the above page.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

RICH AB

Sep 27, 2009, 9:52:02 PM9/27/09

Mr. Lifesaver! I have been going nuts with this for a year on various
machines! You have my gratitude!

Stowner

Nov 18, 2009, 1:11:03 AM11/18/09
YOU ARE DA MAN!