Application Failed to Initialize Properly (0xc0000022) after KB927

Michael

Jun 3, 2007, 2:16:02 PM6/3/07
I'm using Windows XP Professional SP 2.

After installing KB927891 using the automatic update from the Administrators
ID, I found my limited access ID getting numerous "Application failed to
initialize properly (0xc0000022)" errors. (The following programs got the
error: ACTray, ACMLIcon, scheduler_proxy, pdservice, PIFSvc, osCheck, ccApp,
reader_sl.)

I went back to the Administrator ID and all worked fine. Back to the
limited ID, same errors. From the Administrator's ID I granted administrator
authority to the limited ID and the limited ID now worked fine. I removed
Administrator authority and the limited ID got all the errors again.

I removed KB927891 and tried the limited ID again - still got all the errors.

Are my problems caused by some quirk in KB927891 or are my problems a
coincidence? I've read about many successes with KB927891 but I did find one
posting by someone in England (on another board) with what sounded like the
same problem. His "fix" was to restore his system to pre-KB927891 - I hope
to not have to do that. Anyone have a better solution?

--
Michael

do...@lkington.me.uk

Jun 4, 2007, 8:49:10 AM6/4/07

Same here, and system restore did not resolve it. Traced fairly
readily with the 3'rd part "depends" utility.

So you will need to check that the correct permissions have been set
for a couple of .dll's in c\;\windows\system32.

They are msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll. I used the command line program
cacls.exe to check the current permisisons for these files, then
granted read permission - ie BUIILTIN\Users:R

Don

Al

Jun 4, 2007, 3:29:02 PM6/4/07
We have same problem after 23 May installation of KB927891 on XP-Pro SP2.

At login, Admin Accounts seem okay, but Power Users receive error message
"Application Failed to Initialize Properly (0xc0000022)" for these three:
"osCheck.exe" "ccApp.exe" and "PIFSvc.exe"

Last week problem spread to "acrobat_sl.exe" and Acrobat-Pro won't run for
Power Users. Today the problem spread to "uiStub.exe" and NIS2007 protection
no longer runs for Power Users; Symantec Tech Support could not resolve with
three attempts today. It seems to be a Windows-XP problem.

Does anyone know if Microsoft is addressing this issue? Please let me know
if you learn the cause and solution.

Thank you, Al

Shadrach Flint

Jun 4, 2007, 5:05:15 PM6/4/07
Hi

So did you attempt the solution that worked for me, posted above?

> >Michael- Hide quoted text -

Al

Jun 5, 2007, 2:28:01 PM6/5/07
Don--Just did; you were right--it worked!
Also, it resolved the initialization problems for Acrobat-Pro and NIS2007.
Our Users can now resume work without having Admin privledges.
Thank you--Al

P.S. You might want to cross-post your solution to the other two threads
addressing the same problem. Hope MS gets this into an update for the sake
of all their other users.

Michael

Jun 5, 2007, 7:27:00 PM6/5/07
Don,

Thank You!!! That did the trick.
--
Michael

ron

Jun 6, 2007, 12:23:01 PM6/6/07
Hi Al
Could you possibly show, key stroke by key stroke, what you typed onto the
command line?
I have the same 3 files as yourself but no real expertise in order to follow
don's instructions.
Many thanks
Ron

ronald

Jun 7, 2007, 4:18:02 AM6/7/07
Is it possible to show what you typed into the command line, as I have little
expertise? I have same 3 files with error message.
Thanks

Shadrach Flint

Jun 7, 2007, 4:55:55 AM6/7/07
Ron,

Take this slowly if you are not familiar with the command line.

1. Go to the command prompt - i.e click "Run", type in "cmd" - without the quotes - then press enter.

2. In the big black window (expand it), type after the prompt character (>)

>cd \ press Enter
>cd windows\system32 press Enter
>cacls msvc*.71 press Enter

You should get a list of file access permissions for at least two files - msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll.

Have a good look and check whether this includes "BUILTIN\Users:R" for the above files.

next

>exit press enter

Come back here for the next step.

I take no responsiblity for any problems whasoever that may result from incorrect actions.

Drax

Michael

Jun 7, 2007, 1:29:01 PM6/7/07
Thanks Don!

I used your solution a couple days ago and it's been working just fine. I
really appreciate your help.
--
Michael

ronald

Jun 8, 2007, 12:01:05 PM6/8/07
Shadrach Flint

Many thanks for your assistance, which is much appreciated.

The two specified files were not present in c:\WINDOWS\system32, although
two similar files (MSVCP71.DLL & MSVCR71.DLL) were, but cacls did not produce
BUILTIN\users:R amongst the BUILTINS for these two files.

I did however find msvcp71.dll & msvcr71.dll in other files including,

program files\common files\symantec shared\symsetup\{5AA2.......}_10_2_0_30

----------------------------ditto-------------------------------{420F........}_1_1_0_38

program files\BT Broadband Talk Softphone

all of which turned up BUILTIN\Users:R

I'm guessing that I need to copy these files to the appropriate folder, but
am not confident as to how to do this without risking an error.

Regards

Ron

ronald

Jun 8, 2007, 5:43:00 PM6/8/07
hello again
If I copy & paste the files with the access permission needed to replace the
ones in capital letters (which I now realise are the same), would this be the
answer?
Thanks again

Shadrach Flint

Jun 9, 2007, 12:02:05 PM6/9/07
Hi Ronald,

You have found the two files for which BUILTIN\Users:R is required in
c:\windows\system32.

DO NOT COPY THE OTHER FILES of the same name - they are different file
versions.

Change the permissions for the two files in c:\windows\system32 folder
as follows:-

Firstly repeat what you did before but one file at a time ie
Click Run
enter "cmd" (no quotes) and enter, then in the Command window

>cd\
>cd windows\system32
>cacls msvcp71.dll

If it does NOT list a permission BUILTIN\Users:R

Then

>cacls msvcp71.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R

Do not miss out the spaces

You should get a "... processed" message on screen.

Repeat the command to verify this

>cacls msvcp71.dll

If it shews the correct permissions, do the same for the file
msvcr71.dll.

If it does not, then you screwed up somewhere.

I take no responsibility whatsoever for any undesireable consequences of
your actions.

good luck

Don

ronald

Jun 10, 2007, 5:01:01 AM6/10/07
Hi Don

Really appreciate your help which was invaluable, as I might have eventually
copied and I suppose overwritten the other files!

After a restart, Norton fired up and all is well.

Thanks again.

Ron

"Shadrach Flint" wrote:

> > ----------------------------ditto-------------------------------{420F.........}_1_1_0_38

dd

Jun 13, 2007, 3:52:00 PM6/13/07

It worked like a charm. Thank you for sharing the info!!!!

Kirk...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2007, 11:27:32 AM6/18/07
> "ronald" <ron...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:D07CDAC8-1F4A-46B2...@microsoft.com...

Don,

I followed your instructions for changing the permissions on
msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll. I, too, was getting the error "failed
to initialize..." as other, and the same error code, all related to
Norton. When I made the change, I received the "processed" message
that you described. When I then logged into the limited (non
administrator) accounts (for my young sons) where I'd been receiving
the errors, Norton crashed upon login. It came me the standard "this
application has failed," the one that includes the option to notify
Microsoft. Norton AV still does not run, but instead of the initialize
error, I get a crash of "oscheck.exe." When I try to run NAV at that
point, I get a crash of "uiStub.exe." Any suggestions you have will be
much appreciated and thanks for your contributions to this group.

Kirk

Pierre

Jun 19, 2007, 12:16:00 AM6/19/07
A further question on this topic.

I have a french version of windows and the BUILTIN\Users:R is written

BUILTIN\Utilisateurs avec pouvoir:C

My guess is that ui need to change the letter C.
Should I still use the letter R at the end of the command that I will enter
onthe DOS prompt? A better question may be: Should I put the same letter in
the end as the one for the administrator which happen to be F?

Thanks for helping me.

Pierre

anne-marie

Jun 20, 2007, 7:47:03 AM6/20/07

anne-marie

Jun 20, 2007, 7:53:01 AM6/20/07
Hi I had this problem after downloading Norton Internet Security 'add on'
pack for parental controls. After much trawling of internet and frustrating
interactions with Symantec I found this solution which has worked perfectly
and I am not a very confident user. My system32 folder had these 2 files in
CAPS only (showed as MSVCR71.dll not msvcr71.dll etc ) so I updated these.
Thanks for the help.

Shadrach Flint

Jun 21, 2007, 3:38:10 PM6/21/07
Pierre.

Je ne parle pas bien et je ne comprend pas, alors en Anglais --

You need to set the two files previously described so that they have READ access permission for users.

You can find out which "letter" to use after the Builtin\Users: by the help facility

At the command prompt in the appropriate folder, type

>cacls /h

and it will list the options available.

En francais, "L" = lire n'est pas?

"C" = changer ?

Surtout ne fait pas "changer" or whatever that is in you version of the Windows software.

Goo luck.

rebecca...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2007, 11:48:15 PM6/28/07
> "ronald" <ron...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:D07CDAC8-1F4A-46B2...@microsoft.com...