Code 80070005 Windows Update encountered an unknown error

pknight11

Jul 27, 2009, 9:45:02 PM7/27/09
I know that there are several threads here regarding this error code, and I
have tried some of the suggestions that were comprehensible to me
(re-creating the "SoftwareDistribuion" folder and running , but with no luck
at all. Some of the suggestions in these threads are quite a bit over my
head, but I can follow directions if someone is willing to offer some
suggestions. Thanks.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 28, 2009, 12:05:29 AM7/28/09
Thanks for beginning your own new thread!

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

TaurArian

Jul 28, 2009, 4:42:24 AM7/28/09
pknight11 wrote:
:: I know that there are several threads here regarding this error

Well, I can only guess what you've tried. One of the most common causes of
this error code is the Anti Virus and Anti Spyware software programs running
on the computer.
You can try turning them off and then try the updates again. Keep the
firewall on though.

How to reset security settings back to the defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222

Error message when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web sites to
install updates: 0x80070005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968003/

0x80070005 - Permissions issue. You can reset registry and file ACLs to
their Default state by following the directions here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

pknight11

Jul 28, 2009, 6:21:02 AM7/28/09
The procedure described at
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx
solved the problem for me. I was able to run WU after doing what Stebner
described in his blog, and WU ran successfully in automatic mode overnight as
well.

TaurArian

Jul 28, 2009, 6:08:49 PM7/28/09
Thanks for letting us know.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

pknight11 wrote:
:: The procedure described at

mejia@discussions.microsoft.com nelson mejia