WindowsUpdate_80004002 WindowsUpdate_dt000

gareth

Nov 7, 2007, 7:14:00 PM11/7/07
Hi, can anyone help as Microsoft seems to have no information and all
information on here is confusing.

I cannot update windows at all.

When the icon comes up saying 'new updates are ready to install' or when I
access the update page directly all I get is the message 'windows could not
search for new updates' and the error code 80004002.

I have tried deleting the update history, I have fiddled around with the
settings, I have tried installing a load of dll files as suggested somewhere
on this site and nothing works. I also always get the same error code - I
gather some have been getting different ones at times.

Is this a permanent bug associated with a past update? If so, surely there
must be potentially millions of people with the same problem so I cannot
understand why there isn't an official Microsoft response!

Although I'm not a technical moron I'm not an IT whizz so can answers please
be kept in plain English!!!

Thanks for your help

Engel

Nov 7, 2007, 8:34:00 PM11/7/07
Hello gareth,

Have you try the solutions given here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

I'm sure you'll get more detailed help from the guys who know a lot more
than me, but I hope this is enough to get you on the right road for now.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.
- -- --

lokilla@discussions.microsoft.com la lokilla

Nov 7, 2007, 11:00:01 PM11/7/07

sparky

Dec 24, 2007, 6:44:00 PM12/24/07

sparky

Dec 24, 2007, 6:49:02 PM12/24/07
I have been having the same problems with windows vista, cannot update
at all.Always comes up with error 80004002, this has been going on for about
a month now. tried all trouble shooting and restoring but nothing helps, glad
to know I'm not alone,was begining to wonder.

Dani_Jayne

Jan 3, 2008, 8:16:01 PM1/3/08

wilson

Jan 3, 2008, 10:04:00 PM1/3/08
Same problem for me, been all around the internet looking for a solution...
none available =(

help anyone?

gareth

Mar 22, 2008, 8:01:00 AM3/22/08
still not sorted this problem out but windows defender has automatically
downloaded some updates - there's no consistency or pattern to this.

now that service pack 1 is released, should i just download the stand alone
version and hope it all fixes itself???

ayiboy

Jun 8, 2008, 2:27:01 PM6/8/08
i have this problem too. did you find a solution?

gareth

Jun 9, 2008, 8:21:03 AM6/9/08
nope, there are various suggestions that seem to work for some if you search
on this but there's nothing that works for me. genuinely have no idea what's
wrong and have kind of given up hope!

ayiboy

Jun 9, 2008, 10:17:01 AM6/9/08
i found a solution to this. If you are using vista, just download the sp1
update. Click save not the run button. it takes about 2 hours to finish the
installation. then click the windows update icon on task bar and you're good
to go. let me know if you're successful. good luck!

Benny

Dec 5, 2008, 1:01:01 AM12/5/08
I already have ps1 and I have this problem as well. I also tried some of the
other advice I found by googling this problem. Did anyone else have any luck
dealing with this?

MowGreen [MVP]

Dec 5, 2008, 12:42:02 PM12/5/08
PlayStation 1 ? Or did you mean Vista SP1 ?
Providing relevant information makes it *so* much easier for someone to
assist you, Benny: http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten