RE: Update error 80072ee2 Finally Solved!!

Damien

Jun 13, 2005, 9:42:01 PM6/13/05
Thank you SOOOO much! I have had problems with Windows Update before, and
somehow managed to fix the problem. I had the same error code and tried the
recommendations from Microsoft...to no avail. It is funny how something so
simple, gets overlooked, while we brainstorm for all else!
I am glad I saw your post. I appreciate it.
--
Aloha from Maui!

"Gregd" wrote:
I have worked on this problem for at least 20 hours on and off over the last
> several weeks.
> I have a pc which uses ICS to connect all the clients in my home network to
> the internet. WU would not work on either client. Kept getting 80072ee2
> failure when searching for updates. Tried every solution I could find on the
> internet.
>
> Finally I added up all the symptoms, one of which that I could not load
> other https pages, could not even reach the windows update site without using
> the proxy. Well, I decided the problem could be the ethernet connection from
> the ICS Host to the home network.
>
> Removed the ethernet device from within device manager, rebooted and let XP
> home reinstall the device. After that, the clients could run Windows Update.
>
> sheesh, what a hassle figuring this out was.
>
> Anyhow, if anyone gets the 8072ee2 error and you've tried the other
> solutions, try what I did. I'm thinking that there was a problem with dropped
> packets or tcp/ip communication.
>
> Hope this helps someone!!

Gregd

Jun 13, 2005, 11:26:01 PM6/13/05
No problem Damien, hope this helps you. I just had to share this with the
community since it took so long to figure out and the problem was pretty much
camoflauged because I did not have a general web browsing problem.

Good luck!!!

do I fine this to do it.@discussions.microsoft.com Where do I fine this to do it.

Jun 14, 2005, 12:52:01 AM6/14/05

bob

Jun 14, 2005, 8:20:00 AM6/14/05

Gregd

Jun 15, 2005, 3:08:58 AM6/15/05
Below is the procedure for removing the ethernet device and then let xp
reinstall it on reboot. Incidentally, if folks are having problems like I did
and even if you are not using Internet connection sharing, your ethernet
device which connects to your gateway router could be hosed up in the same
manner and require removal and re-install. I'm pretty convinced this was a
packet/frame dropping issue:

Right click the 'My computer' icon on the desktop
Select 'Properties'
Select 'Hardware' tab
Select 'Device Manager'
Select 'Network Adapters' by clicking the '+' sign
Right click the adapter connecting the pc to the home lan or gateway router
Select 'Uninstall'
Reboot

XP will find the device again and reload the drivers for it.

If you don't want to use file and print sharing and QOS, be sure to go to
Network and Internet connections from control panel, Change settings for the
device and unselect file and print sharing and qos.

Hope this helps!!

technispen

Oct 16, 2008, 9:31:05 AM10/16/08

I had the same problem and when I read your post I thought that some
conflict exits on my nic. But apart from my physical nic I have two
more virtual nics due to VMware installation.

So I unistalled VMware and update worked!!

Thanks for triggering the solution!

--
technispen
technispen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/technispen.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Kwex

Oct 26, 2008, 5:09:31 PM10/26/08

I just resolved mine too ... make sure ur Antivirus does not block any
Bonjour Service ...

My McAfee blocked that service ... so I unblocked it before the problem
was solved.

--
Kwex
Kwex's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kwex.htm

brainiac

Jul 22, 2009, 4:17:04 PM7/22/09

AH HA!!!!! You can add Hypervisor to that list as well.

My Windows Update suddenly stopped working several weeks ago. I run
Windows Server 2008 with two virtual machines in Hypervisor. This system
was set up a half year ago, then suddenly Windows Update started
erroring with 80072ee2 (ERROR_WINHTTP_TIMEOUT) and 80072f78
(ERROR_WINHTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE).

After some research, I found several reports that connected these
errors to local networking problems - like a bad cable modem, network
cable, etc.. I found reports it was firewall related. And also reports
of malware injecting a bogus Windows Update server address into DNS.

For me, since I don't do risky things on this server box, and my LAN is
very reliable, and Internet is very active and works normally, those
were not at issue for me.

There was another post to do a "netsh winsock reset" from the command
line and reboot. That did not help me either. And that is very similar
to the above recommendation, to uninstall/reinstall the NIC driver,
which is a very effective and forceful way to purge all network goo
associated with the network adapter.

With this post and mention of VMWare, I finally fixed my version of the
problem: simply shutting down the Hypervisor VMs and letting Windows
Update run without the VMs stealing bandwidth.

Apparently the Hypervisor network card sharing and BITS (Windows
Update's downloader) do not always play well together.

Amazingly, it worked for a while, but then got into a permanent failure
condition.

Thanks for the great tip on 80072ee2!

--
brainiac
brainiac's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/117302.htm

BuckeyeJim

Oct 10, 2009, 10:21:02 AM10/10/09
Greg--

I tried your approach, but it didn't work. However, I still thought you
might be onto something. So I tried replacing the old card with a brand new
network card, with drivers for the latest operating systems, and that did the
trick.

"Gregd" wrote:

> I have worked on this problem for at least 20 hours on and off over the last

NicoK

Dec 16, 2009, 2:11:14 PM12/16/09

Hello Gregd,
I have Windows 7 for about half an hour now :S
I wanted to run the updates as wel but I got the same error.
I do not yet want to uninstall anything but is there really no other
way to solve this :S
this is a quitte annoying situation. but without the updates can I
still install and play counter-strike source online or wouldn't you
recommend it?
I will let you know something if I do try your way ^^ greetz

--
NicoK
NicoK's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/164583.htm

arbaba

Dec 17, 2009, 2:48:59 AM12/17/09

Thanks for this information,it was really helpful.

--
arbaba

'sport betting' (http://betonline.com)
'amari orchid' (http://tinyurl.com/ydpnsm2)

engg

Jan 7, 2010, 4:31:02 PM1/7/10

I uninstalled the current network adaptor driver and re booted. But DID
NOT WORK FOR MY WINDOWS 7.

_*CAN_YOU_PLEASE_ADVISE_ME_AS_IT_IS_GETTING_VERY_FRUSTRATED_SINCE_LAST_4_DAYS....*_

THANKS

--
engg
engg's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/171836.htm

Emaxz

Mar 27, 2010, 1:54:01 PM3/27/10

HI, I disabled the Microsoft Security Essentials and the update worked. I too
was getting the 80072EE2 error. Mar 27 , 2010

"engg" wrote:

> .

TTime81

May 24, 2010, 4:48:01 PM5/24/10
Praise God for you man,all the forums Ive been to over the last couple of
months and it was to no avail.This is my 1st laptop and I didnt know what to
do bcuz I was scared of messing it up,I tried some of everything but nothing
worked until I tried your solution.I owe you big,I'll kill 4 u jk.thanks again

MowGreen

May 24, 2010, 6:35:44 PM5/24/10
TTime81 wrote:
> Praise God for you man,all the forums Ive been to over the last couple of
> months and it was to no avail.This is my 1st laptop and I didnt know what to
> do bcuz I was scared of messing it up,I tried some of everything but nothing
> worked until I tried your solution.I owe you big,I'll kill 4 u jk.thanks again

Is the keyboard of your 1st laptop brken cuz there are lettrs mssng frm
the mspelld wrds.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten