Windows XP Accessories and Utilities Disappeared - Can't Reinstall

PT

Jan 23, 2007, 12:55:20 PM1/23/07
WinXP Home

I'm certain theta Windows Update did this to me:

Immediately after installing the most recent group of WinXP updates, here's
what's happened

All the programs in the Windows Accessories and Games
folders are missing. These include the FreeCell through Spider Solitaire,
as well as Calculator, WordPad, Paint, HyperTerminal, Clipboard Viewer and a
few others.

Following an earlier suggestion, here's what I've tried:

Method 1

I click Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components

Then I uncheck all but "Accessories and Utilities", and click "Details."

Here's where it gets a little strange. If I check only "Accessories", and
then "Details", I get a list of missing games, and vice versa. But in
either case, when I proceed, Setup gives me an error message as follows:

"Setup cannot copy this file (FreeCell.ex_, for example) in the
Windows|I386 folder. Put in the Windows CD. I do so, and locate the
desired file."

But the message stays there. If I ask Setup to continue, it moves to the
next file (for example FreeCell.ch_ , but with the same error message.

Method 2

I loaded the WinXP-SP2 disk and selected "Install selected windows
components"
I then followed the same procedures as above, with the same result.
I have two CD drives - same problem regardless of which drive I put the SP-2
disk

Please advise.
--
PT

L@discussions.microsoft.com Bill L

Jun 13, 2010, 2:01:29 PM6/13/10
I am having the same issues. Even after reinstalling them from the CD. They
never show up. Whats going on?

Shenan Stanley

Jun 13, 2010, 4:42:47 PM6/13/10
<snipped>
<Link to entire 3+ year old original posting is inline.>

Bill L wrote:
> I am having the same issues. Even after reinstalling them from the
> CD. They never show up. Whats going on?

Just how certain are you that you are having the same issue?

After all - you just responded to a posting made in January of 2007.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/9546b3072efadea0/

It had no responses.

You have Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 just like the origina
poster I assume?

What AntiVirus software do you have?

What antispyware/antimalware software have you used?

Any third party firewall software?

Was your machine *always* lacking these games? If not - when did they
disappear and have you tried using "System Restore" to restore back to a
point before they disappeared?

Are you logged in as the system administrator?

You did this?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307768

Look in ... C:\WINDOWS\system32
- FreeCell is freecell.exe