Cannot install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)

Steven Hill

Jul 23, 2008, 2:18:01 PM7/23/08
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 update fails. Ultimately, I get Code E0000003.

Here is the sequence of events leading up to that error code:

(a) I install the Windows Vista SP1 update
(b) I get the message “Installing Updates …” with the following text
underneath: “Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)”
(c) After a short wait, I get the message: “The updates were successfully
updated” with the following text underneath: “Restart now”
(d) I then restart the computer. After a few moments a screen appears that
says: “Installing Service Pack: Stage 1 of 3”
(e) Once the installations reaches “6% complete”, I get the following
message: “Some changes could not be completed. Reverting changes.”
(f) My notebook then automatically restarts. After a few moments, the same
screen appears that says: “Installing Service Pack: Stage 1 of 3”.
(g) This time, once the installation reaches “7% complete” (instead of 6%
like last time), I get the same error message: “Some changes could not be
completed. Reverting changes.”

So, I get back into my notebook, and the service pack is not installed. When
I view my update history, and select the (failed) Windows Vista Service Pack
1 (KB936330) update, it is only then that I see the following: “Error
details: Code E0000003”

What should I do?

Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

Jul 23, 2008, 5:24:48 PM7/23/08
Can try running the following tool (not mine this time :) ) before
installing to see if it corrects the problem.
Please let us know if it does or doesn't.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation

--------------------
From: =?= <Steve...@discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: Cannot install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (KB936330)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:18:01 -0700

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 23, 2008, 7:25:12 PM7/23/08
Are you attempting to install Vista SP1 manually or via Windows Update,
Steven?

==============================

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and the
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Windows Vista Help: Learn how to install Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1):
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/Help/133c8953-c9cd-4fa5-8883-03e91bb6f2021033.mspx

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09
• US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net